Duel deploy question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim fustini

Reaction score
Should I put the ejection charge canisters at each end of the electronics bay? Or should I put the put the booster section one remotely wired facing up from the MM ring? I have seen it both ways on rocketry sites.:confused:

It doesn't really matter.

Putting the booster charge on the MMT ring makes it so you only have to wad one side of the parachute compartment if your using a backup motor ejection, but it's more difficult to wire the charge.

Putting the booster charge on the E-bay means you have to wad both sides of the parachute compartment, but it's easier to wire the charge.

I prefer putting my charges on the E-bay.

I have done only drogueless DD so far, so I don't have to worry about wadding anything for the booster section!

I would only put the charge near the motor if I could come up with a good way to run the wires, like gluing it to the inside of the tube and adding a connector near the e-bay. I don't like long wires running through the payload section. Though now that I think of it, the e-match wires are long enough, and they are disposable in case they get burned/melted.

If you're doing drogueless dual-deploy then putting the charge on the aft end of the ebay is probably the easiest thing to do. If you have a parachute coming out at apogee you want to think about what happens when the ejection charge crams it deeper into the back end of your rocket. It may take a while to work its way out. Another approach is to use longer e-match leads to allow you to place the ejection canister under the apogee chute, so it gets blown out. You need to worry about that longer wire tangling your chute or harness. You also need to be careful about an aft moving parachute damaging the wiring in that example.

I've always use a long wire and charge on the end of it for the drogue end of my DD rockets. The charge goes down by the top of the motor. I've used this with and without a drogue chute. I've also used it with a smoke canister. I've never had a problem with anything tangling with the wire.

Back