Quest E and F motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
Any more news on the Quest E and F motors? Or the Estes Composite single use?

Andrew

At the risk of Shred's fury :D, I will go ahead and tell you that it appears that the big low-thrust black powder motors shown at NARAM-50 will never see the light of day. Instead, in a year or so, you'll see German-manufactured composite motors that appear to be made in model rocket style (i.e. not BATES grain, but end-burning with a small core).

You can find out a little more about them by looking over on Ye Olde Rocket Forum (my concession to Shred is that I won't give you the thread link, mainly because I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment!)

As far as the Estes single-use composites, the information that has already been given continues to stand. They are made by Aerotech, will be labeled as Estes, and they should start showing up by the end of the year. The rockets themselves are on the Estes website.

Who cares about posting a link anyway (as long as it isn't to anything illegal)?

Anyway, thanks for the info...the developments sound exciting! I like the idea of more variety in quality BP motors, especially if it provides competition.

I look forward to their availability in the US (mmm...FSI BBII clone on a BP F)...

FC

As far as the Estes single-use composites, the information that has already been given continues to stand. They are made by Aerotech, will be labeled as Estes, and they should start showing up by the end of the year. The rockets themselves are on the Estes website.

The last thing I saw said that they would likely show up in October and be available in places like Hobby Lobby. Of course, that posting was 5 or 6 months ago by someone from Aerotech.

Translation from Shecterese:
"You can call these people and ask them yourself, you know; they won't bite. They actually pay people on their staff to field calls from customers who have questions like this. That way, you get the answer straight from the source, instead of relying on rumors and speculation on the web forums. Then you can come back and tell us all what you found out. Because you actually talked to someone from the company, you become the forum's expert on that matter. Win-win. ;) "​

Here is another picture from Robert Klimas stand on yesterdays trade fair. Sorry for the low quality, it was made with a phone. This are still motors under development, so the parameters are likely to change.

The motors will come in 18mm, 24mm and 29mm in both 70mm and 95mm length.

Robert calls his propellant "white powder" and didn't make any indications about its chemical composition. The propellant fits its name and it is manufactured in house. It is pressed like in BP motors.

One target goal is a 40Ns E in the 24x70mm casing without exceeding 30g (shipping limit in the states). This gives a rough idea of the Isp (~130s) so its probably safe to assume it's not AP based.

The propellant can be varied over a wide range in burn time. For example, Robert was thinking about a long burn E in the 18x95mm casing with 8-10s burn time and test motors have burned much longer. I guess this is more a question about what kind of motors reach a reasonably broad audience than a technical one - except maybe for the temperatures allowed by NFPA1125.

Currently the automated assembly line is under construction. Last week, a tragic accident happened in a neighboring fireworks company where one worker died. It is unclear how the authorities will react and if this will have any impact.

Reinhard

klima.jpg

I hope that the explosion in a nearby fireworks facility will not affect Roberts production line (I´ve read about it in a German newspaper a couple of days ago). AFAIK Robert has already a green light from the authorities to produce engines. However, he´s a little over his own timeline since he announced the release of the new engine line for summer 2011. Personally, I guess they won´t be available before mid-2012 but better than never.

Here´s another picture of the engines where the nozzles are shown:

https://www.europerocketry.com/inde...s]=205&cHash=ac2ed8acd5b4511045e37fbfd5f6da9b

Picture was taken on a fair in spring so the casings were brown not red as newer prototypes are.

Oliver

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll be able to direct-stage them?

A high-thrust D and F would be most welcome.

Anyone know where these engines will be manufactured? Estes makes their engines here and they're excellent, and if this German company produces them in Germany...can't wait to see the results :cheers::cool:;)
But if they're made in China like everything else :kill::mad::(

Anyone know where these engines will be manufactured? Estes makes their engines here and they're excellent, and if this German company produces them in Germany...can't wait to see the results :cheers::cool:;)
But if they're made in China like everything else :kill::mad::(

Just click on the link I posted yesterday. It says that the company is located near Augsburg, Germany.

Just click on the link I posted yesterday. It says that the company is located near Augsburg, Germany.

That's where the vampires and werewolves had that incident during WWII. I saw it on True Blood.

Video is on youTube, but it is TV-MA.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll be able to direct-stage them?

According to ground tests, yes. I've been told of a flight test where nobody was able to tell if the rocket has staged, because of the high altitude reached by a near minimum diameter rocket (probably in less than ideal weather).

I guess experience will show if these motors can be used as a direct substitute for BP motors in staged rockets or if extra preconditions have to be met to ensure reliable operation.

Reinhard

That's where the vampires and werewolves had that incident during WWII. I saw it on True Blood.

Video is on youTube, but it is TV-MA.

Fortunatly, I never met vampires and werevolves in this area. Ok, I was born after WWII...

Fortunatly, I never met vampires and werevolves in this area. Ok, I was born after WWII...

They seem to have moved to Mississippi and Louisiana.

I distinctly rmembered that scene from True Blood on HBO because I work with someone with the last name Augsberger. Obviously his family came from there and he enjoyed it when I mentioned that episode of the show the day after it first aired (they repeat them many times).

Back