Fliskits DOM - Corkscrew 2 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
Thanks to hcmbango for his post on this wonderful little rocket in the low power forum. Not wanting to steal hcmbanjo's well deserved thunder, I checked with JAL3 before starting this gallery. He told me that hcmbango's Corkscrew 2 would appear first by date priority with his consent.

This little rocket is about as far from a 3FNC as you can get. Easy to build and a lot of fun to fly. Doesn't look like she should, but she flies straight as an arrow albeit with a wiggle her walk. Can probably win a stability bet or two before everyone catches on.

Mine is built around a BT-20 like the original design. The spec'ed body tube dimensions and nose cone turned out to be exactly as those of a Wizard. So one of my Boy Scout clearance sale Wizards had the fins replaced by the tail ring and voila a Corkscrew 2 emerged.

My tail ring was cut from a BT-80 which makes it 2.6" instead of the 3" spec'ed. I also mounted a 1" launch lug inside the ring like hcmbango, but only used a one.

She is incredibly light- 14.75g primed and painted w/o recovery - and an A8-3 puts her just about out of sight. This little gem is also wickedly fast off the pad. She flies great on a 1/2A6-2 with a more pronounced cork screw. I can't imagine flying her on a C6-5.

Well.........hmmmm.............BSA Blast Off packs come with C6-5s...........and I have 5 of those (thank you again BSA)..............plus a few I had before hand............which means I have lots of C6-5s to burn....................... Stay tuned?

hcmbanjo post link https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=20109

Attachments

• Corkscrew 2 3-18-11.jpg
    Corkscrew 2 3-18-11.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Corkscrew 2 pad 3-19-11.jpg
    Corkscrew 2 pad 3-19-11.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
Was this a kit, a DOM plan?

What's the source?

I just finished up the CORKSCREW build thread on my rocket building blog at:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Corkscrew

This is a design by Bruce Levison. It won him the Fliskits Design of the Month contest a few years back.
Bruce's design was build around a BT-20 mainframe, I build mine with a BT-5.
The offset tail ring makes it corkscrew (wide spiral) on the way up.

It's a simple but great design. Thanks Bruce!
One thing I noticed on the last flight. It tends to fall with the open end of the tail ring facing up, at the angle I'm holding it in the picture.
You'd think the tail ring would be prone to bending, but landing this way it doesn't.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• CorkScrew 2_WEB.jpg
    CorkScrew 2_WEB.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Jimmy at Launch B 2.26.11 006.jpg
    Jimmy at Launch B 2.26.11 006.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of great plans in the FlisKits DOM library! Check em out by clicking SERVICES then CONTESTS

Back