So, maybe I'll try a three-stager

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it fly yet? (joking - anticipation is killing me for next weekend)

I find it amazing how close the FAA comes on the COA. When you look at how much time and money you and others have invested it must be unnerving. You could do all of this and then possibly not get to fly if the COA is not issued in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I find it amazing how close the FAA comes on the COA. When you look at how much time and money you and others have invested it must be unnerving. You could do all of this and then possibly not get to fly if the COA is not issued in time.

I'm legal! Woohoo!

Jim

I find it amazing how close the FAA comes on the COA. When you look at how much time and money you and others have invested it must be unnerving. You could do all of this and then possibly not get to fly if the COA is not issued in time

This is a major problem and MUST be addressed.
Every time they are late with the paperwork and we're left trying to get ready in a few days or speculatively getting ready.
UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Now that I have that off my chest - can't wait to see this fly.

Well, with the Class 3 group batting 100%, it isn't all that bad. Normally, they finish up the Class 3 applications and then do the non Class 3 high altitude flights last. So, it seemed like they might be a little behind this year. But, all flights were approved as of Friday.

Thanks for all of the well-wishes! Packing was uneventful. "The box" required a little fine-tuning, but will work fine.

I still don't know what the best day will be. Right now, it looks like Friday, but the upper wind forecast is moving around more than normal. Probably won't know for several days yet.

Jim

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Per usual we've started to enter a fall like pattern in the inter-mountain west with consistent stormy weather rolling through weekly. This week is no different. I love this pattern for skiing (consistent snow/storms) but it's no good for rockets.

A trough will move through Northern Nevada on Wednesday and start to exit on Saturday. Upper level winds will increase upon entrance and exit of the trough.

Friday early, while in the middle of the trough, may be a decent window. However there is the risk of clouds/showers and lousy low level weather during this time.

Saturday will likely feature high upper level winds as the backside of the trough slips over Black Rock. But should be sunny.

Sunday is the best day? With the trough further east and high pressure becoming established winds should subside significantly up high. This is never the ideal day for high altitude flights as the event always raps up early -1pm.

That's my forecast. I'm a pretend weather man. Below is a pick of winds at 30k MSL at 4pm on Thursday evening.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1505751105.727924.jpg

Last edited:
Per usual we've started to enter a fall like pattern in the inter-mountain west with consistent stormy weather rolling through weekly. This week is no different. I love this pattern for skiing (consistent snow/storms) but it's no good for rockets.

A trough will move through Northern Nevada on Wednesday and start to exit on Saturday. Upper level winds will increase upon entrance and exit of the trough.

Friday early, while in the middle of the trough, may be a decent window. However there is the risk of clouds/showers and lousy low level weather during this time.

Saturday will likely feature high upper level winds as the backside of the trough slips over Black Rock. But should be sunny.

Sunday is the best day? With the trough further east and high pressure becoming established winds should subside significantly up high. This is never the ideal day for high altitude flights as the event always raps up early -1pm.

That's my forecast. I'm a pretend weather man. Below is a pick of winds at 30k MSL at 4pm on Thursday evening.

View attachment 328249

That's pretty much how I see it. It's going to be difficult to time this.

Jim

Yeah Friday is looking okay. Chance of showers diminishing throughout the day and winds aloft look really dependent on where the jet sets up. If I remember correctly, I flew into a 60-80kt jet last year - surface winds were non-existent.

This is 10am Friday...sorta in a lull/on the edge of some really stiff winds.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1505834986.490019.jpg

All of Friday is looking pretty good now for mild jet stream winds.

We will set up the pad tomorrow and then make a decision on Friday tomorrow eve I g.

Turns out we will have lots of company at BL center. Oh my.....

Jim

Yup... i have been pushed to the BR15 marker. 2 miles from the flightline???

Best of luck and see you out there!

So.. did this fly today? I hope it went well!

We were unable to fly. On the pad ready to launch when waiver closed.

We got delayed due to the poor weather and just couldn't pull it off. Without Steve, Chris and Dale helping, we wouldn't have even come close.

We may try to recycle for Sunday but there are some issues.

Jim

We were unable to fly. On the pad ready to launch when waiver closed.

We got delayed due to the poor weather and just couldn't pull it off. Without Steve, Chris and Dale helping, we wouldn't have even come close.

We may try to recycle for Sunday but there are some issues.

Jim

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully things will change for the best as you wait for better conditions. Kurt

Well, we did get to fly on Sunday, but only the first stage lit. Seemed like a common problem.

There is still a lot of data to review, but my preliminary assessment is that one of the servos failed. Easily seen in the video. That led to drag separation of the second / third stages and no stabilization. Roll control for the first three seconds was good and the spin can worked very well.

I suspect that the second stage was inhibited due to tilt. I had that setting pretty tight, but from the video, it looked pretty vertical. Haven't looked at the file yet.

Again, much thanks to Chris Harris, Steve Shannon and Dale Emery for helping me out - twice as it turned out.

Everything recovered fine, so maybe I'll do a three stager next year. Maybe.

Jim

Back