Rocket Sim Shareware Safe Downloads?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockiteer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, call me paranoid but with all the crap going on with the internet; malware and ransomware I am a bit skittish when it comes to downloading freeware and/or shareware programs off the internet. Most recently I tried to download a "free" rocket sim program but my malware firewall lit up like the 4th of July so I canceled the download and walked away. Now before everyone starts in "just purchase this Rocket Simulator program" or anything like that I wish I could afford it but as a retiree recovering from cancer and unemployable my finances just can't absorb the $100 or more price tag. I am lucky to do what I am able to do in this hobby all on $1,158 a month in military pension (I get Social Security in another 6 months). Thanks for any constructive solutions. Shoot for the stars everyone and beyond!

I assume the download was accessed from Apogee's site? It used to be from there and in fact only required an access code to unlock the full capability. It isn't freeware or shareware as much as a manufacturer's demo (although you may have been implying you don't want to grab Openrocket)?

Maybe someone who recently, successfully, and without viruses, downloaded Openrocket can confirm the source is trusted.

I am assuming you hit a torrent site or some other heaven for threats bundled with "free" cracked software site. If so then you are setting yourself up for pain and potentially more expenses than your figuring on saving.

I would follow rstaff's advice and download Open Rocket.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I assume the download was accessed from Apogee's site? It used to be from there and in fact only required an access code to unlock the full capability. It isn't freeware or shareware as much as a manufacturer's demo (although you may have been implying you don't want to grab Openrocket)?

Maybe someone who recently, successfully, and without viruses, downloaded Openrocket can confirm the source is trusted.

Just tried to download Openrocket and got the same alarm from my virus protection program. I did download the Apogee program but could not absorb the $100 plus price tag. Will keep poking around till I find a safe download for Openrocket. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Aim for the stars and beyond my friend.

I am assuming you hit a torrent site or some other heaven for threats bundled with "free" cracked software site. If so then you are setting yourself up for pain and potentially more expenses than your figuring on saving.

I would follow rstaff's advice and download Openrocket.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I'll keep poking around for a safe download of Openrocket. Thanks for the encouragement!

If Openrocket is tripping an antivirus, I would suspect the antivirus. I downloaded it on a locked down company machine and it was fine. They block just about everything, so if it's really a problem, it would trigger here.

If Openrocket is tripping an antivirus, I would suspect the antivirus. I downloaded it on a locked down company machine and it was fine. They block just about everything, so if it's really a problem, it would trigger here.

You may be onto something there. I'll backup my computer then try the download again. If I get whacked by a virus or worst, malware I can either do a reset/restore or if I can't do that just swap out the hard drive with a spare I have in the closet and download the backup files. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Not hard to find Openrocket - Openrocket.info

Outstanding! This is the real deal, thanks! Just finished downloading and got the antivirus alarm, went ahead and downloaded then scanned just to make sure. All's clear. Appreciate the link and encouragement. Got burned about a year ago shopping for static plastic scale models on a Russian site. Ransomware got into my system locked up everything and left me in the dark for almost a month while I got a replacement hard drive and Windows 7 (was still running Windows XP at the time). Since then I have purchased a 5 terabyte external hard drive and backup my files once a month then lock that sucker away in my file cabinet unpluged from the CPU. So now it's time to draw my current creation and start running the sims for the appropriate motor. Again thanks everyone for your support, insight and encouragement.

attachment.php

openrocket is a java file. This can trip some anti-virus software into thinking it is a virus self installer.

openrocket is a great program!

It sounds like a virus to me. Once you use it you get infected. That's just an observation as I take my Rocksim vaccine regularly.

Back