AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm most eagerly waiting designs I've seen mentioned here which avoid the -ridiculous- hazmat shipping fees. The more choices, the better.

K650T in my modified 4 inch Wildman Punisher at the recent URRG launch. Pretty good flame for Blue Thunder. Will probably try the K1999N next.

K650T.JPG

Hi Lee! It was great to meet you out there, sorry that that we couldn't demo anything but it was still a great launch. Also, there shouldn't be any issues with the 24mm Estes retainer.

Charlie,
Great to meet you and Gary at NSL! I'm not sure how I missed your reply, or the many other posts until now. I'm bummed we haven't seen the new reloads yet, and sure wish the NAR testing folks would get moving on getting certification complete!

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Hi Charlie

I had a little problem with a DMS H219T today at Bong. The 1st H219T which I have had for a while worked perfect. So I purchased another one from WM and was going to fly it. Right as motor starter lit the forward closure let go popping nosecone off the rocket on the pad. No damage to rocket. When I removed motor from the rocket both grains and forward closure were still in the rocket. There is some type of red tape wrapped around the forward closure end that fits in motor case. No signs of much epoxy. By the way the booster part of rocket stayed on the rail up right. Seems strange to see both grains inside with forward closure inside of the rocket. A MESS was filed and pictures were taken. WM replaced the motor with the H? ST motor

Hi Charlie

I had a little problem with a DMS H219T today at Bong. The 1st H219T which I have had for a while worked perfect. So I purchased another one from WM and was going to fly it. Right as motor starter lit the forward closure let go popping nosecone off the rocket on the pad. No damage to rocket. When I removed motor from the rocket both grains and forward closure were still in the rocket. There is some type of red tape wrapped around the forward closure end that fits in motor case. No signs of much epoxy. By the way the booster part of rocket stayed on the rail up right. Seems strange to see both grains inside with forward closure inside of the rocket. A MESS was filed and pictures were taken. WM replaced the motor with the H? ST motor

Charlie, I have pics of the motor if you want them.

Hi Charlie

Thank you for filing a MESS report. We really do pay attention to those things.
A few months ago at one of our local launches we had a very similar incident. The forward closure of a single use AT motor was ejected forward through the rocket at ignition. Our Prefect took the information in order to submit a MESS report. The parts did not appear to have any epoxy, or if they did, very little.

Steve Shannon

Thank you for filing a MESS report. We really do pay attention to those things.
A few months ago at one of our local launches we had a very similar incident. The forward closure of a single use AT motor was ejected forward through the rocket at ignition. Our Prefect took the information in order to submit a MESS report. The parts did not appear to have any epoxy, or if they did, very little.

Steve Shannon

Steve
That is how this looked also. Red tape and no signs of epoxy. The 1st motor of the same was made in 2016. I think the one that failed was 2017. I had a lot of shock cord in a 54mm size booster tube so things were kind of tight, That is why I think the grains and forward closure stayed in the rocket.

Thanks

Thanks! I'm TOTALLY waiting with $$$ for the F67s :) In the meantime I've placed several orders of F44-4's to find that they are backordered again. Is there any guidance as to when supply on those will start rolling out? They've been backordered from my two favorite vendors for three months now.

We couldn't keep F44s on the shelf for a while and are just now getting caught up. Let me know if you are still having difficulties finding them.

I'm most eagerly waiting designs I've seen mentioned here which avoid the -ridiculous- hazmat shipping fees. The more choices, the better.

We are resubmitting the J520W for certification this month. This will be a non-hazardous level 2 motor and we will be working on similar loads in the future. We agree that choices make rocketry better.

That's a great shot! I have that same kit in my garage begging me for attention, I suddenly feel inspired.

K650T in my modified 4 inch Wildman Punisher at the recent URRG launch. Pretty good flame for Blue Thunder. Will probably try the K1999N next.

K650T.JPG

Hi Charlie

Sorry about that, I think I have seen pictures of the failure. Glad your bird wasn't damaged too much and glad you filled out a MESS report. WM probably gave you the H283ST which is a nice punchy motor.

Will we see a 29mm sparky RMS reload at any point soon? Are there any more loads for the 29/360 planned? Are there any plans to get some HPR Blackjack motors that aren't hazmat in the 29mm diameter any time soon? Are there any loads for the 18/20 planned (I'd like to fly a 18mm BlackJack motor at some point in my life...). Are the 29mm F's for the 29mm 40/120 going to be retooled at some point to ship in 30 gram parts like the G53 was from the G33?

Charlie
Any ideas on what may have caused the failure? I fly a good amount of the DMS line of motors.

Yeah this looks like the epoxy just didn't bond with the casing. Karl is looking into it but so far it seems like it may have had some type of releasing agent on the inside of the casing which prevented the epoxy from grabbing anything.

Will we see a 29mm sparky RMS reload at any point soon? Are there any more loads for the 29/360 planned? Are there any plans to get some HPR Blackjack motors that aren't hazmat in the 29mm diameter any time soon? Are there any loads for the 18/20 planned (I'd like to fly a 18mm BlackJack motor at some point in my life...). Are the 29mm F's for the 29mm 40/120 going to be retooled at some point to ship in 30 gram parts like the G53 was from the G33?

There's a bunch to get to here so I will start at the top:
29mm Dark Matter RMS - On the radar but will require some extra design time in order to meet the DOT's requirements. Currently we are only authorized to ship Dark Matter grains that are OVER a certain weight.
29/360 - No new loads under development at this time.
HPR Blackjack without Haz - No immediate plans as of now.
18/20 - We do have a few reloads for that case but no Black Jack. The new 18mm Quest motors will be 18mm Black Jack single use motors.
29/40-120 - We don't have anything specifically planned but we have been revisiting all of the hobby loads that are not USPS friendly. So far we have adjusted the F30-FJ to make it USPS mailable, expect more down the line.

Hi Charlie;
Are you going to be at Airfest? I'm planning on flying a M1939W at MWP and have a mark on the liner. Last year there was a mark much worse than this that caused a burn through and swelled the case. So upon inspection of the liner I found this mark. It doesn't appear to be a crack or show any signs of going into the wall thickness of the liner, it appears to be on the surface only . If you are going to be there I can bring it if you want to inspect it prior to glueing up the motor for MWP.

Thanks

OD.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503005580.994549.jpg
ID other side of mark
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503005662.999683.jpg

Oh goody, 24mm Gs.... That'll help me feel a bit more at ease flying my stash of G55's and G110's... :D

Charlie -- still anxiously awaiting the 29mm tapped, plugged forward closure for high power cases.... :(

Hi Charlie;
Are you going to be at Airfest? I'm planning on flying a M1939W at MWP and have a mark on the liner. Last year there was a mark much worse than this that caused a burn through and swelled the case. So upon inspection of the liner I found this mark. It doesn't appear to be a crack or show any signs of going into the wall thickness of the liner, it appears to be on the surface only . If you are going to be there I can bring it if you want to inspect it prior to glueing up the motor for MWP.

Thanks

OD.
View attachment 325994
ID other side of mark
View attachment 325995

Hi Nick,

I will be at Airfest and may just ship a liner out there to be safe. No sense in risking anything unnecessarily. Bring the liner pictured also just so I can take a peek at it. See you then!

Back