Best Choices for Handheld GPS (to input the Lon./Lat. data from a BRB900 LCD display)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsanders

EastCoaster
Reaction score
Hello:

I am hoping for a little input from other users in regards to what they consider the best choice for a handheld GPS. I want to be able to input data off my BRB900 (right off the LCD Receiver screen - in the format shown on the BRB900 LCD screen) and then use that handheld GPS to basically "walk *** to the rocket. Any input would be appreciated as I do not own a handheld GPS yet and I want to get a decent quality one with reasonable accuracy to use for rocket recovery.

Thanks in advance...

Gary S.

If you can't use a smartphone, then the cheapest Garmin handheld (eTrex 10, about $90) would be fine, or something used on ebay. I use an old handheld Garmin with more bells and whistles purchased about 10 years ago for geocaching.

I would get a unit that has a sight and go feature. That way, if you have visual lock or fly with an RDF backup you can shoot a line in addition to following the GPS. You can also use the sight and go to track down flights without GPS tracking, which would be handy in a number of situations.

If you have an iPhone, there is an app called MotionX-GPS. It'll do just what you want.

All the above is good advice. A Garmin "blue" colored Legend will get the job done too. Only advice is make sure you set the units correctly on your handheld GPS to match the output from the BRB900.
The BRB900 basically outputs NMEA strings with some extra stuff in the strings. If it just output NMEA only it could be modified to send the strings to a mapping GPS for live tracking. I've talked to
Greg Clark about this but alas, it's not able to be done unfortunately.

With the Blue Garmin Legend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000058BCQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (buy used on ebay don't pay this price) there is a socket at the top to take the NMEA words and input WPL (waypoint) strings so if
one graduates to APRS tracking with a Ham radio APRS rig like a Kenwood D72A, 74A or a Yaesu VX-8GR, the GPS can be interfaced to the radio so it can track the rocket live in-flight. No having to input anything and even the Legend one can
command to navigate to the rocket waypoint. Pretty slick. Ham guys have been able to do this for about the past 10 to 15 years. Problem was it was kind of pricey. Now not so much. Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an app called "US Topo Maps" on my phone.

I use the coordinates given by the BRB900 to create a waypoint. Then I'm able to "goto" that wayoint.

I really like that you can overlay a Google earth satellite map to see what's in your path to the rocket.

If you can't use a smartphone, then the cheapest Garmin handheld (eTrex 10, about $90) would be fine, or something used on ebay. I use an old handheld Garmin with more bells and whistles purchased about 10 years ago for geocaching.

This^

I would get a unit that has a sight and go feature. That way, if you have visual lock or fly with an RDF backup you can shoot a line in addition to following the GPS. You can also use the sight and go to track down flights without GPS tracking, which would be handy in a number of situations.

and this^

I tried 2 or 3 different apps for Android, but I still like my ol' Garmin eTrex with Sight and Go the best. It is rugged, can be operated with one hand, and I don't mind handling it with dirty fingers. The only downside is that I end up carrying 3 bulky devices in my pockets - phone (not needed, just habit), Garmin, and BRB900 LCD receiver.

You can get old unactivated iPhones for next to nothing, ditto for Android devices. As long as it has a GPS in it and your app doesn't need Internet access (i.e. MotionX on iOS) then it will work. I have an old iPhone 4 that I use as my backup tracking device, and also for connecting to Quantums and WiFi Switches in case I forget to charge my phone. Yes, that has happened... ONCE.

I have been searching for Garmin recievers with "Sight and Go" and I can't find a list of ones that actually have that feature. Want to order one, so does anyone have a list or suggestion on an exact model?

TIA!

I have been searching for Garmin recievers with "Sight and Go" and I can't find a list of ones that actually have that feature.
Generally, the receiver has to have an electronic compass in it for Sight-and-go. The Etrex 30 is the cheapest one that has it, AFAIK. But look for a compass as a feature.

I have been searching for Garmin recievers with "Sight and Go" and I can't find a list of ones that actually have that feature. Want to order one, so does anyone have a list or suggestion on an exact model?

TIA!

Etrex Vista HCX has Sight 'N Go. Get it used. Garmin 60 CsX has "Sight 'N Go" and if you think that someday you might want to get a ham tech license and APRS track
you can get a cable: https://www.gpsgeek.com/products/in...h-d7a-tm-d700a-aprs-to-garmin-4-pin-round-gps
You plug this into a D72A and it will live track on the Garmin 60CsX. A cheaper Blue Legend: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/173
can also to live APRS tracking but doesn't have sight 'n go feature. Use this cable: https://www.gpsgeek.com/products/in...-aprs-to-garmin-etrex-emap-geko-gps-receivers. You can plug these cables into used Kenwood D7A's and D7A(g) but beware, I have two of these and the oscillators have gone out of spec and no longer receive well.
I wouldn't buy used unless you do a range test with a unit first before buying. A D72A is very workable.

You don't have to buy Garmin maps. The Legend has a base map that is not upgradeable but it will get the tracking done. The 60CsX one can use this site:
https://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ To download a good open source map but the points of interest are not good and updated. If you want those, you should buy Garmin maps. If you just want to track rockets, use the OSM maps. The above GPS units are available used for reasonable prices. They are out of production. Kurt

Back