29mm MD rocket "The Minute Man" (Build Thread)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun, young fella. I'm predicting:

1. Flight not RSOed.

2. If #1 is wrong, shred on its way up.

3. If #2 is wrong, lost rocket.

Now, go and prove me wrong!

Have fun, young fella. I'm predicting:

1. Flight not RSOed.

2. If #1 is wrong, shred on its way up.

3. If #2 is wrong, lost rocket.

Now, go and prove me wrong!
Andrew.... I'm gonna tell you a story....

There used to be this person on TRF who was an energetic young guy. He joined at TRF when he was 13, and instantly wanted to fly the most insane projects possible, because who needs to start with low power. There was a 2 stage K875 to G80, there was an 8" fat boy made from unglassed sono tube, and there were plenty more crazy ideas. He tried to build a 2 stage high power rocket as his first high power rocket, and didn't even know how to wire an altimeter.

The older more experience rocketeers tried to warn said person away from attempting these crazy projects. "Start smaller and learn" they said.
Said person thought they were saving money by trying to build crazy projects at first because they already "knew everything" and didn't need no stinking advice.
Said person made a lot of people angry at him because he didn't listen to anyone's advice ever.
Said person begged for people to send him free stuff because he didn't want to pay for stuff but wanted it anyway.
Said person commented in threads he knew absolutely nothing about because he wanted to appear smart.

Eventually, enough rocketeers either got irritated at said person or said person got it into his head that maybe, just maybe, the other rocketeers knew what they were talking about.

Said person turns himself around and starts at the beginning, picks up a mentor, and learns how to do stuff the proper way.

Skip foward about 3-4 years.

Said person is now a L2 flyer working on his L3.

Andrew, this is me I'm talking about. I'm reading through this thread and it reads almost EXACTLY like what I used to sound like. Coming from someone who used to be in your shoes, I can GUARANTEE you that these people commenting on your thread aren't trying to be mean or rude, but instead are trying to help you. And although it seems more expensive (and it is), spending a bit more on higher-quality parts will make you have better workmanship skills and higher-quality outputs. It's worth it.

Also, a second reality check on this "I don't need a tracker".

Few friends and I were screwing around at LDRS34, and put a CTI Pro29-3G G106 (smaller and lower thrust than the H195) into a mini Wildman kit (non-minimum diameter, fiberglass, heavier rocket than yours).

This was the only picture we got. It literally teleported off of the pad.

I put an 8 foot bright red streamer in the rocket, along with red marking chalk. None of us saw where it went after they hit the button. The only way we found it is because of the tracker we had in the nose cone.

Trust me. Fly a tracker. I now put a tracker in every flight I fly, just as insurance.

I invested in an Eggfinder (total cost, about $110). Saved my butt on my Level 2 flight. I never would have found the rocket had it not been for the coordinates.

Just my measly opinion. ;)

Also, a second reality check on this "I don't need a tracker".

Few friends and I were screwing around at LDRS34, and put a CTI Pro29-3G G106 (smaller and lower thrust than the H195) into a mini Wildman kit (non-minimum diameter, fiberglass, heavier rocket than yours).

This was the only picture we got. It literally teleported off of the pad.

I put an 8 foot bright red streamer in the rocket, along with red marking chalk. None of us saw where it went after they hit the button. The only way we found it is because of the tracker we had in the nose cone.

Trust me. Fly a tracker. I now put a tracker in every flight I fly, just as insurance.

I invested in an Eggfinder (total cost, about $110). Saved my butt on my Level 2 flight. I never would have found the rocket had it not been for the coordinates.

Just my measly opinion. ;)

+1 to that! But I don't have the funds for a tracker. I'm trying to figure out what to do.
Thanks,

Which ones? I prefer not to get a beeper. It has to be under $20.
Thanks,
Then you will most likely lose your rocket. Remember, you can use your tracker for all the rockets that you have, not just this one. It may be a significant investment but worth it in the long run.

+1 on the mylar streamer. If you fly this little rocket on a H motor it's going to leave the launcher like a bullet and no one is going to see it after that (assuming that it doesn't shred). If you want any chance of recovering it, use a shiny mylar streamer instead of a chute, and fly it on a sunny calm day.

Looks like I'm going to use a DMS H135W. With the last simulation it should go between 8-9K at about Mach 2.10. How does that sound?
Thanks,

Looks like I'm going to use a DMS H135W. With the last simulation it should go between 8-9K at about Mach 2.10. How does that sound?
Thanks,

If you are using RocSim, the estimations are very optimistic.

Don't think that will survive Mach 2.1.

I like to make myself think it will hold together. Not sure if it will, all I know is, I really hope that if it does shred, it will be at a high altitude. That way it won't be as dangerous. What exactly to you mean by a shred? Do you think the tube could hold up? Or the fins?
Thanks,

If it shreds, it will be at or near maximum acceleration so the altitude will be much lower than you think.
Fins will probably not hold up.

I like to make myself think it will hold together. Not sure if it will, all I know is, I really hope that if it does shred, it will be at a high altitude. That way it won't be as dangerous. What exactly to you mean by a shred? Do you think the tube could hold up? Or the fins?
Thanks,
Shred means it comes apart. Fins fly off, BT crumples, that sort of thing. Tube would probably survive since it is supported by your motor. Fins most likely will come unglued.
You nose cone will most likely melt due to air friction if it actually reaches the velocity you are saying.....

It should be fun to watch.....

Back