MicroMaxx Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
I just love showing mine off!

The real one.
The micro.

I went with the test round colors, so I could find it. The olive drab is difficult in grass.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_2253.jpg
    100_2253.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I LOVE Showing them Off more then Flying the Little Jewels!

Humm! this could take awhile..... Which one to Show???
I think I'll just start with the oldest in My Micro Maxx fleet and work from there, but first we should at least shown the ORIGINAL LPB's (Little Plastic Bricks) that Quest introduced in 1999 that are responsible for getting the whole Micro Maxx movement started along with the introduction of the MMX-1 (1/8A.2-1) .21Ns and slightly later MMX-II (1/8A.5-1) .31Ns motors.

MM-a01_10 RTF models & MMX-1 & -II motors_08-21-99.jpg

Last edited:
After flying my Very first LPB I knew two things!
These Little Jewels were just about the Neatest thing anyone had come up with in model rocketry so far. and Second; They Surely Needed to be built using "Standard" type materials and methods.

My first Scratch built micros were actually Motor mount conversions from the then recently discontinued 10.5mm motor Scale models. And boy do they still fly incredibly on even the old MMX-1 motors.

MM 211a1-sm_Nike-Tomahawk 36.7374(128dpi) _05-13-99.jpg

MM 211e_Nike-Tomahawk 5pic pg(300dpi)_05-13-99.jpg

Moving backwards in model number slightly, my next Micro model Retro fit was a 10.5mm Scale model of the French sounding rocket Dauphin Da-003 and it's launch pad.

MM 208a1-sm_49,7147 Dauphin Da-003_08-07-97.jpg

Then Pushing the Little motors a bit retro fitting a 13mm (BT-5) Nike-Smoke for Micro power. This one still gets decent altitude 30-40feet on the new MMX-II motors.
While the 1/30th model and Scratch launcher work I haven't launched the model from the launcher. Even the tiny handscrews on the launch rail work.

MM 209a1-sm_30,3308  Nike-Smoke_11-04-97.jpg

At about the same time I started looking at the prospect of getting this motor included in NAR competitions.

My first scratch model was a down scale of the Edmond Deltie pop-pod BG.
it was in instant success and i've flown it many times since.

MM 212b1_Deltie-BG_OnPad_08-07-99.jpg

MM 212b2-sm_Deltie-BG_MidFlight_08-07-99.jpg

MM 212b3-sm_Deltie-BG_In flight_08-07-99.jpg

Well Gee the BG worked so well I wonder if a Micro RG can work I Thought? I've always been absolutely AWFUL with gliders so maybe microing them might help a little???
I have a favorite RG design that changes the geometry by adding an elevator pitch so downscaleing the Mini-Nomad to a Micro Nomad RG was next on my list of attempts.
I'm pleased to say; it not only worked...it works pretty well;)

MM 213b2_Nomad-RG_onRack_07-07-01.jpg

Last on the Glider list are Flex-wings. To be sure a very spiecalized Glide Animal to be sure.
After a bunch of different spar material attempts a final spring material worked out just incredibly fine. So fine I've yet to get a micro Flex-wing glider back. 3" to 6" wing spans have had double timer averaged times to out of sight over 5 minutes. But to claim the record ya have to get one back....I'm still trying:(

MM 214a1-sm_8thA-Flex-Wing-Glider_09-08-99.jpg

Of all the competition model types I think my favorite is Helicopter Duration. I'm please to be able to claim the first ever Scratch built micro HD model with a downscaled miminum diameter body 5/8" rotor rotaroc. This first Micro HD is still flying and is used mostly at grade school small field demos with the old style MMX-I motors. I'm also please to say my Micro Wonderwhirl HD design holds the current National record. Have more then doubled its time with it's successor longer rotor freehub brother and Fliskits Tiddlywink several times,though not in an offical contest as well.

MM 215a1a-sm_1st HD-HelicopterDur RotaRoc_11-03-99.jpg

MM 215b1e-sm_MM FreeHub 4 pic pg_05-08-05.jpg

MM 215b3-p01d-sm_4° Hinge WonderWhirl 2-pic_10-12-08.JPG

MM 215c2-b_Tiddlywink-b Rotors Up_05-30-09.JPG

1/8A PD was next on the investigation list. starting with a very small minimum diameter model stuffed with an 8 inch 1/4mil mylar chute it got some impressive alitiude on the old MMX-I motors and stayed up a good long time (over 90seconds). Later vellium body larger models with much larger chutes proved to work in some flying conditions that got into the very long duration times. Below are a few of the different configs tried. Most are just as much fun flying empty without anything other then feather weight recovery:)

MM 216a4-sm_a-f Taper&Doubletaper PD's_8-30-04.jpg

Streamer Duration...1/8A SD seemed like a automatic for Micro's. but there is much more to the contest.
starting with the same minimum diameter model then moving to various other body makeups Even single wrap 1/2oz. fibreglass with streamers up to 4" wide man! BTC's can do same wierd stuff LOL!!!!

MM 217b1-sm_8thA-SD_at-Ejection_07-07-01.jpg

MM 217e2-sm_Custom fibreglass Venus 1 & 2 models_04-09-05.jpg

Another competition that plays to just about all my interests 1/8A Cluster Altitude.
Back before the NAR rewrote the pink book to include 1/8A motor Class. I thought since 1/4A-CA was a 2 motor cluster they would start going the other way with 3x1/8A CA so my first 1/8A-CA design was a 3motor inline cluster. Fly's really well and recovery great.
But alas the powers that be decided to make the event 2x1/8A-CA... a two motor cluster. I'm told because they were afraid getting two motors this size lit was going to be a problem LOL what a joke!
Anyway a two motor cluster design was a bit harder to work but I did a couple for our clubs building session with a "Qualifier", "Streamerliner", and "Stacked" just for fun.
What we discovered was on minimum diameter micros Tracking powder MUST be placed in some sort of container to prevent it from acting like a plug during boost preventing deployment of both the powder and streamer recovery. Good to know:)

MM 219a1_2x8thA Clu-Alt Qualifier Model_02-05-05.jpg

MM 219b1a-sm_MM 2x8thA Streamlined .281 3 fin_01-12-05.jpg

Taking a break for Micro competition designing back in November 1999. I wanted to try something super small that would test weither conventional construction along with downscaling procedures would end with a satisfactory flying result. I chose what I thought would be a Good Challange and something that would likely be lost on the first flight.
A Minimum diameter (.281"OD) Orbital Transport with a slightly oversized T2 (.246" OD) orbiter. these are the two smallest available .013 wall spiral wound tubes I could find. Most other dimensions are scaled with the exception of the wing and fin thickness which were done in the closest available Basswood and liteply found.
To my surprise not only did this wee little model build quite nicely it also flys, seperates and glides as well as the full size model. it's now getting pretty old and has the scares and scratches to prove its 20+ flights, but still hits the air every so often......AS long as I have a couple extra pair of eyes to watch the tiny glider:)

MM 220a1-sm_OrbitalTransport_11-12-99.jpg

MM 220b1_OrbitalTransport_OnPad_11-12-99.jpg

MM 220b2-sm_OrbitalTransport_MidFlight_11-12-99.jpg

I have more but this is all I have a pic of for now until the batteries recharge in my camera.

That's the cover of a plastic shoe box they are sitting on.

Micros.jpg

Next I knew Y2K was coming up and thought it would be Nifty to get the club to set-up some kind of "first flights of the New Century" event but alas they decided against it.
I decided to go for it anyway and started the wheels rolling for a little group to launch what I thought might turn out to be the Very First Model Rocket flown of the new Century.
Getting our exact location in Wasington DC and adjusting for GTM we discovered we would have to do Two launches to be sure we actually were the first Rocket launch of the new Millennium. First at 11:50 our time midnight GTM and then again at 01:01:01 as the ball dropped with the atomic clock at the Naval observtory in DC. All just for the fun of it LOL!!!
I designed the 2000 Led Illuminated Payloader just for the occasion. using a 10.5mm clear payload section and white styrene Pratt NC fitting on a minium diameter .281" Body with clear .030" Polycarbonate fins. custome fabricated a 10mm 12,000mcd orange led battery holder to fit a tiny 10mm lithium coin cell. Test fly it in the daytime with a 3/4" x 12" white teflon streamer.
All worked out just fine with the Motley Range crew including; the Better 2/3rds on video, the Daughter pushing the button, Neighbor Ed Tracker/observer and me on the still camera (sorry the clock doesn't show thru the flash doh, it's clear on the video). We have both launches on video and these stills... if Nothing else it was a very FUN New Years EVE!

MM 221a1-sm_NITE-2000_LEDS payloader_12-03-99.jpg

MM 221c1a-sm_Nite-2000_Led PreFlight_00.jpg

MM 221c1b-sm_Nite-2000 LED Liftoff_00.jpg

MM 221d1a_Nite-2000 LED_Crew_00.jpg

MM 221d2b_Nite-2000 LED_Liftoff_12-12-00.jpg

Last edited:
More in tune with competition...looking for something in the "eggloft" area. we've tried a couple different things.
Jellybeans seemed like a nice size but not very frigile. and Paintballs was another option... button quail eggs was also suggested but difficulty in obtaining contest size quantities "cheaply" was a problem...we're still looking LOL! but both designs fly very well.

MM 222b_MM Paintball Lofter_07-06-04.jpg

If it seems like there was a theme here...your correct I wanted to somehow have at least something micro that "could" be flown in every event offered in the Pinkbook. that left me with a couple still outstanding
Payload altitude and Plastic Model Conversion.

My first attempt at PMC in motor motor range was a Lacrosse with Launcher truck. This one took just a little bit of planning but worked out the with a boost from an artifical grass covered board I could get the Truck mounted Launcher .049" x 12" stainless launch rod to within 20° of vertical needed. So here it is.. the Lacrosse model itself is pretty heavy due to nose weight needed but it does fly to about 20feet and recovers with a streamer.

MM 223a2_Lacrosse PMC_10-08-99.jpg

MM 223b2_Lacorsse PMC_10-08-99.jpg

next PMC was a 1:40th Aerobee-HI
This model was just for fun and flys reasonably well for a Plastic Brick. it does not stage or use the launcher trailer for flight. It's just a fun build Micro PMC.

MM 224a1-sm_AeroBee-Hi 40th PMC_08-08-01.jpg

Down Scaling the Old Ranger cluster for micro maxx motors is fun. At BT-20 (.736") body diameter we can easily get a 4 motor cluster in the business end.

It's actually pretty amazing the amount of smoke and fire ya get from these little guys!

This model is also set up with LED's in the payload section for Night flying with a 3V lithium battery.

MM 226b6f5_2nd Motor wad ball tamped_09-18-09.JPG

Edmonds Deltie downscaled so well I wondered if any of his other GREAT Gliders would do as well. One I've used alot in BG compeititons over the years is the Ivee.
My version of the Micro Ivee is pretty small and all balsa. the glider weighs in at 2.8g. with the whole model having a LOWt. of 5.5g. It really gets up there on a MMX-1 motor, a little better then MMX-II's shorter delay.
I've lost 3 or 4 of the gliders but always manage to retrieve the Pod and streamer.
A little tricky sanding the tail feathers but once trimmed these design is really a GREAT glider. Thanks again to Robert Edmonds for the wonderful design:)

MM 227a-sm_Ivee (Edmonds) BG_08-11-00.jpg

Another of those Funny events that everyone seems to want to enter is Spot Landing.
Since the required chute need only be 15cm in dia. and the streamer 2.5cm x 30cm these fall right into minimum lines for my PCS Spot lander.
PCS is short for Paul Conner Special after the 70's designer and club friend who designed this little jewel using a PNC-60long Nosecone back in the day.
My downscale incorporates a PNC-20 cone and 1/64 liteply fins on a small piece of BT-20 tube. Then interior motor mount tube and rear ejection ring hold and protect the Chute or streamer wrapped around it's stem until ejected trailing along behind the Nose to it's landing spot. Very Nifty little flying machine:)

Getting into the True downscale Classics Centuri's Laser-X was one of my favorites back in the dark age's and I just had to try doing a downscale with all the detail.
As such it's not the best flying downscale in the fleet with a LOWt of 11.7g but does a decent job of getting to 35-40 feet on the MMX-II motors.

MM 229b1_Laser-X_onPad_07-07-01.jpg

MM 229b2-sm_Laser-X_MidFlight_07-07-01.jpg

MM 229b3_Laser-X_Arc 0ver_07-07-01.jpg

Next downscale of another Old favorite flyer..the T4 (.448"dia) Cherokee 1/8A flys as good as it looks. I even use a 4" X-Form chute to recover this micro just to keep with the tradition started with my Old Estes standby:)

MM 230a-sm_Cherokee-8thA_08-29-00.jpg

MM 230b1_Cherokee-8thA_MidFlight_07-07-01.jpg

It's kinda embarrassing to follow all these great models, but what the hey...

P2190002.jpg

Back