Looks like I can send rocket engines using USPS to P.R...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
I just read the NAR document on Shipping Rocket Motors and the US Postal Service Postal Publication 52 "Mailability by Hazard Class" , Section 341.22a and Appendix 1A and it looks like all I need is to apply for the USPS Letter of Authorization. Limitations are up to 25 pounds, proper marking and it has to be shipped by ground. Now, it does not mention anything about sending them by boat, which would be once the package reaches the south US coast...

I just got off the phone with a USPS rep and they do not consider P.R. as international.... now, where is that typewriter?....

I am contacting a few vendors and ask them who can ship the motors to Puerto Rico. So far Apogee responded that they do ship to P.R. :)

I started typing a letter for the USPS and get their blessing to ship them to P.R. but this would take some time and I want them to be in PR by Dec 19. I think going the vendor's way is the easiest. I still plan to send the memo.

The USPS rep did mention that once the package reaches its last ground destination it will go the rest of the way on boat. And she did verify that the USPS does send mail by boat and by air to P.R. If I have to pay a little extra to get those engines there I am willing to do so.

So far I have feedback from three out of four vendors I contacted: two said no and one said yes...

I added the links to the related documents on the first post of this thread in case anyone would like to read them...

Back