Rocket Locator Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have found this at radio shack and thought it would be a good idea to put it in a rocket. It's a buzzer that puts out approx 75 dB @ 3v. It will operate at 1.5v too. I have tested it on a CR2032 battery and it is loud enough that I think I could hear it some distance away. The part no. is 273-053A. Both the buzzer and battery weigh .4 oz.

I've thought about using these too. Lots of people used them for car reminder buzzers (like if you left your lights on); they would get wired to the fuse panel.

How much was it?

$3.29
+ tax (9.5% here)
= $3.60

The battery price will range depending on where you buy it. Don't buy them from the jewelry section at walmart. They charge around $5 for one. I go to either the automotive section or by electronics.

I use a small personal alarm I got from the local K Mart store. It will fit a 38mm tube, but not much smaller. I use to use it on my 24mm Fat Boy, when flying on F's. I put kevlar through a small hole drilled on one corner, and the pull pin is attached to another kevlar lead. With lot's of slack in the shock cord, it ties off at an upper point, and lower point on the SC. At ejection, the pin gets pulled out when the cord stretches out. It has worked perfect every time.

Originally posted by astrowolf67
I use a small personal alarm
For some reason, my company passed some of those out a few years ago; it has the woo-woo-woo siren (ear-piercingly loud) and a flashlight. It's powered by 2 AA batteries, so cutting the thing down to size (or duplicating it on a breadboard) would be easy. And it could probably run just fine, albiet for a shorter time, on AAAs to keep the weight down.

Originally posted by DaveCombs
For some reason, my company passed some of those out a few years ago; it has the woo-woo-woo siren (ear-piercingly loud) and a flashlight. It's powered by 2 AA batteries, so cutting the thing down to size (or duplicating it on a breadboard) would be easy. And it could probably run just fine, albiet for a shorter time, on AAAs to keep the weight down.

Actually, you might be able to get away with using two 1.5V watch batteries - they probably wouldn't last very long, but they would likely be able to drive it for at least a few launches.

Greg

Yeah, I made one from parts at radio shack, although, I used a piezo buzzer, and one of those small garage door batteries, and instead of a physical swithc, I wired in a photoresistor, so that on ejection it turned on.(But of course if there is no light, it doesn't work...)

Originally posted by bigone5500
Solder two wires to the battery then twist the wires together when needed.

Ok...I have talked with an electrician buddy of mine and he said if I were to try and solder the wires to the battery then I am risking the battery exploding if it is a lithium type. So I think I'll use a button cell pcb mount type holder. Now he said I may be able to do it but if I overheat the battery it will come apart.

Back