drogueless DD, but too stable on descent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket72175

Reaction score
I modified my VB 38 into a DD setup. However, the fin can is pretty short and lightweight as compared to the rest of the rocket. As a result, when the fincan separates at the apogee event, the remainder of the rocket remains very stable and drops like a ballistic missile, making for a violent main deployment.

Short of redesigning this thing so that the two halves are more equal, what are my options? I am thinking about adding a tiny drogue chute near the big end, but I am afraid that might defeat the purpose of DD on such a small rocket. The total rocket weight is about 25 oz. See the attached pic showing where the fincan splits.

Thanks!

Try lengthening the shock line. It should get the upper section glide a bit instead of nosing straight down.

A drogue would work fine. All you need is something that has at least as much drag as the fins (not hard for a rocket this size).

For a 25oz rocket, I would use a drogue in the 8-12" range, or a largish streamer.

Yep, the payload goes ballistic, pulling the whole unit vertical. I have plenty of shock cord - about 20'. I will go with a small drogue (10") as planned. Thanks, guys.

This model is a bit smaller and lighter then my 5.3 pound (at burnout) XPRS project, a carbon fiber 54mm bird. It has about 24' of TK (no drogue) for the drogue harness. How can I ensure the payload tube wont come in ballistic? I know I can sim the lower section to see if it is still stable after seperation but I would assume the upper section would be unstable, as it has no fins.

What creates this ballistic flight path of an unstable upper section?

Back