AMW Inc. looking for ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:confused: :p :confused: :p

Let's replay this:

HEADA: #2 is easier to solve than #1
MARK: NO...you have it backwards....#2 is easier to solve.
HEADA: Let me clarify...the reason I said #2 is easier to solve.....

So..to be clear....you're both saying #1 is the easiest issue to solve???

;) :p

While it looks that way, the description of the process he gave for #2 was actually the process to #1. I say a spacer is easier and he says grinding the thrust ring is easier. Both are easy. Confusing...but 2 simple solutions for a simple problem that I feel has been blown out of proportion.

AMW, can we have a $5 part or two to fix the slimline retainer issue?

-Aaron

Getting retaining rings custom made isn't as cheap as people thing. Also - seems like some people like to complain a ton about minor things. Really in HPR the prices are dirt cheap for what you are getting. I really don't see what all the complaining is about.

Edward

I have to fall in with the 29mm crowd. Not much area to fly here in NJ. 29mm G & H motors, and later for MD some long burn in 38mm. 29mm sparkies? Wow!

Jack

The last I knew, Ed had re designed his new retainers to fit all the hardware.

It was too bad he forgot to check the hardware market before he finalized his design.

He and I talked, "after the fact" and he wanted me to move the groves on my hardware.
As was pointed out, that couldn't be done without a safety issue.
And yes there is a smaller, lighter weight ring that is made.
I have seen failures, with higher thrust motors using them.

As much as I would like to have helped him out with his problem, I couldn't change an established design.

The best solution is to place the snap ring on the casing, and using a bench grinder turn the casing and grind off about .01" from the OD.
This will not compromise the strength of the ring, and allows it to fit the GL old style retainers.

Maybe GL can provide a retro ring to fit the old style retainers, I will be happy to give him permission to allow customers to grind down the standard AMW/Kosdon East retainer rings, without incuring any loss of safety, if he wanted to do so.
hope that helps.
Paul

Back