Estes Alpha with Astron markings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARX2

Reaction score
Maybe because of Estes' upcoming 50th anniversary or maybe because I've been hanging out at JimZ's web site, I decided to paint my Estes Alpha in the markings of the Astron Alpha, kit K-25.

That's looking great! I'm building a Big Bertha to Pre-D 'looks' for Estes 50th anniversary, too. A lot of the old rocket paint jobs look much than those of new.

Actually, I thought the cone on the Astron Alpha was white. At least, that's what I saw on the Excelsior site.

Now that I like!!! That's got a real classic look to it!

Great minds think alike. I had one of these when I first started flying - back in '73. As a result, I had to paint one like the one I had originally. I'm thinking I'll have to order a BNC-50K from either BMS or Semroc to clone it exactly (didn't have the blow-molded nose cones back then, and the balsa nose cone was shaped a bit differently from either the blow-molded cone or the Alpha III injection-molded cone.

Greg

The Executioner looks like an upscale Alpha to me. I've got the parts to clone the Executioner (balsa nose cone). I may add a payload bay and put in a camera - like Greg's video cam rocket. :)

To me, that's the ONLY paint scheme for the good ol' Alpha! Well done!

agreed and that's why I used the paint scheme many moons ago eswell:
alpha.jpg

Originally posted by BARX2
The Executioner looks like an upscale Alpha to me. I've got the parts to clone the Executioner (balsa nose cone). I may add a payload bay and put in a camera - like Greg's video cam rocket. :)

Close, but the body tube is too long and the fins are not the right shape. You can get the plans for the Maxi Alpha here:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1291/est1291.htm. I'm building one and I cut out new fins from 1/8" balsa with the same tabs that the Executioner uses for its through the wall fins. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with the color scheme, but I'm thinking about covering it with Monokote instead of painting it.

Oh, and I modified the plans a bit so it will take an E9 motor - just use the 1" adapter to use a D12 instead.

Greg

-I made a little something along these lines last spring:- I just finally got a new digital camera to replace my broken one. I can now once again become a contributing member to the TRF forum.
~Enjoy~

Looks very nice. I like the roll pattern. Do those symbols show your CP and CG? Is your CP behind your CG? How's it fly?

Looks very nice. I like the roll pattern. Do those symbols show your CP and CG? Is your CP behind your CG? How's it fly?

-Thank You. I've never flown her yet, but hopefully soon. The CP & CG decals were leftover from a decal sheet I ordered from Fliskits. I'm pretty sure that I put the center of pressure decal before the center of gravity. I think that's the right way?-I just stuck em on for looks anyway.:D

Do you use VCP or RockSim? Try plugging in the numbers and see where it puts the CP and CG. CG should be ahead of CP (closer to the nose), like this.

Oops, in my post above, I meant to say "Is your CG behind your CP?". Sorry for the confusion. :rolleyes:

Maybe because of Estes' upcoming 50th anniversary or maybe because I've been hanging out at JimZ's web site, I decided to paint my Estes Alpha in the markings of the Astron Alpha, kit K-25.

Looks great, but for real authenticity, you should chunk the nose cone (Estes screwed up the shape when they redesigned it) and get a new BNC50K from Semroc (they *fixed* the shape when they redesigned it :) )

Do you use VCP or RockSim? Try plugging in the numbers and see where it puts the CP and CG. CG should be ahead of CP (closer to the nose), like this.

-Thanks for clearing that up. There was no scientific basis at all to the placement of those CG & CP decals. Did I actually think I could get that past all you TRF'ers-NO WAYYYYY!:D :p :D :p

I had a great outing with lessgravity yesterday. Despite the hot sun we burned countless motors in a soccer field. The Alpha flew great on A10-3T motors using an 18mm-13mm adapter (hollowed out B4-4). I also flew it on a 1/2A6 and A8-3, but the best flights were on the A10. That's a great little motor and a great bargain, considering its performance and the fact that you get four per pack. Here are some videos courtesy of lessgravity's rocketry blog: https://rocketry.wordpress.com/videos/

I had a great time launching with BARX2 yesterday. That Alpha is a beauty.
Here is a frame capture of the launch of the Alpha. That rocket zips of the launchpad.

alpha-take-off.jpg

Great videos and great looking rockets!! I dont have any of those. How high did the dueces wild go I have always wanted one but I dont think I have a place to fly. Very nice paint job on the Alpha I love it:D

Latest posts

Back