Trojan Hybrids.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ContrailRockets
If it wasn't obvious from the Dumas Family that I owned the site www.trojanhybrids.com it should be now...

Needless to say it is some shameless self promotion at its best.
I gathered that, but it didn't necessarily mean that you were behind the business. Thanks for the clarification.

Contrail Rockets will not be changing the name. I like it :)

Trojan Motors on the other hand... That would have to be something completly different.

But please, visit their site. I hear they have some some really great stuff there
;)

Originally posted by Johnnie
...and the purpose for "squatting" on a domain name is?

I'm not all business savvy and stuff, but could someone tell me why Contrail would register a domain name so that "someone" else can't use it?

Johnnie

Its generally done so you can either:

A) Get lots of money selling it to the real company with the name.

B) Sucker in visitors to your site looking for the real company.

The Trojan site is a link to yours, but the link just stalls out. Might want to look at that and maybe add in an auto-redirect after 15 seconds or something. (seems to be working better now, so ignore that bit)

I've looked at your motors before and if I were to go hybrid, yours would be the ones I'd pick, but none of the clubs I launch with don't have the GSE for hybrids and I can't quite get the funds up to cover it and the motors myself.

-Aaron

$1.99 Special from Yahoo Domains right now. 1st year of registration is dirt cheep.

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/

Didn't someone squat on www.rattworks.com?

Tom

When I was looking to see if I should buy TrojanRocketMotors.com it tells I should also buy:

TROJANBOMBCARS.COM
GREEKBOMBAUTOS.COM
GREEKBOMBCARS.COM
CONDOMBOMBCARS.COM
TROJANROCKETAUTOS.COM
TROJANBOMBMOTORS.COM
TROJANROCKETCARS.COM
TROJANAMMUNITIONMOTORS.COM
TROJANROCKETRIDES.COM
GREEKROCKETMOTORS.COM

When looking at TrojanHybrids to buy you get this:

TROJANCROSS.COM
TROJANMONGREL.COM
CONDOMHYBRIDS.COM
TROJANMIX.COM
TROJANMIXTURE.COM
GREEKHYBRIDS.COM
CONDOMCROSS.COM
TROJANSHYBRID.COM
TROJANHYBRID.COM
TROJANSHYBRIDS.COM

TrojanMissles was funny :

CONDOMMISSLES.COM
GREEKMISSLES.COM
TROJANSMISSLES.COM
CONDOMSMISSLES.COM
GOGREEKMISSLES.COM
MYGREEKMISSLES.COM
DOGREEKMISSLES.COM
INGREEKMISSLES.COM
GREATTROJANMISSLES.COM

SUPERTROJANMISSLES.COM

;)

Trojan Motors on the other hand... That would have to be something completly different.

So, any time estimates on releases?

An Update has been made to Doug Pratts website (www.pratthobbies.com) regarding the Trojan Motors.

More information about the Trojan hybrid motors that are being tested:

Contrail Rockets is the company developing the new motor line.
Trojan motor hardware will have unique capabilities to use existing hardware that is already in the field, without changing the existing hardware or altering its original use.
They will have high-thrust fuel grains and different fuel compositions.
As soon as they're available, we'll have them!

Next week we should be ready to release some pictures!
Stay Tuned

An Update has been made to Doug Pratts website .....
Trojan motor hardware will have unique capabilities to use existing hardware that is already in the field, without changing the existing hardware or altering its original use.

Next week we should be ready to release some pictures!
Stay Tuned

Hi Tom, now I get it !

Let me prognosticate..

Like a few EX designs I've seen, and another manufacture I've been waiting for their products to get certified; you will put a DOT paint ball tank on top of an aero-tech case.

How close is that ?

Art,
While a novel idea, the use of AT Cases would probably require some type of licensing or authorization from AT.

I have seen that design before, but I thought that it still used the Fill Stem and Kline Valve Assembly.

The concept is sound, however we are not doing what you describe. You are getting warmer with the "Cross Compatible" remarks.

OK, my daddy told me to not talk when I didn't know what I was talkin' about, so I'll let the rest of the folks rush in here and make guesses ;)

Contrail Rockets is the company developing the new motor line.
Cross-compatible with:
Sky Ripper?
West Coast Hybrids?
R.A.T.T. Works?

Maybe the clue is, who has the most hybrid hardware out there?

Back in the '90s, John Urbanski made an adapter that allowed the use of an AeroTech tank and valve assembly with a Hypertek fuel grain. I remember flying it successfully at least once. It could also be modified to work the other way, with a Hypertek cylinder and valve and an AeroTech motor assembly.

How about a Contrail combustion chamber that screws onto a Hypertek cylinder and injector? That would make sense given the information that Tom has provided us so far.

Originally posted by garoq
Cross-compatible with:
Sky Ripper?
West Coast Hybrids?
R.A.T.T. Works?

My speculation : using Contrail's high thrust fuel grain formula to create reloads for other manufacturer's motors. Other than "R&D" and cert-ing, it's just the cost of a few moulds and packaging, I imagine.

Originally posted by WillMarchant
I'd like to see someone offer non-vented flight tanks again.

Alpha Hybrids has been waiting for a cert on his Hammerhead motor. 98 Dot tank on a 54mm AP like casing.

Gary, are you going to re-cert the Aero-Tech line of No-Vent hybrids again ?

They were "Stealth" as I would call it. No one knew you had a hybrid hidden in your rocket.

Humm...... StealthHybrids.com, I better go register that domain name ;)

"Is that a Hybrid hidden in your rocket, or are you just happy to see me ?"

Originally posted by Art Upton
Alpha Hybrids has been waiting for a cert on his Hammerhead motor. 98 Dot tank on a 54mm AP like casing.

Gary, are you going to re-cert the Aero-Tech line of No-Vent hybrids again ?

They were "Stealth" as I would call it. No one knew you had a hybrid hidden in your rocket.

Humm...... StealthHybrids.com, I better go register that domain name ;)

"Is that a Hybrid hidden in your rocket, or are you just happy to see me ?"

Last year Aerotech told me that they were spending money on their hybrid line but that the rate was low due to other projects. I think their no-vent tanks, combined with their electronic forward closure, would be an instant hit. Lots of folks have Aerotech casings and being able to throw a tank on and pass gas is very attractive...

I am looking forward to the return of the J390-Turbo hybrid or similar product from Aerotech :)

Johnnie

Please note that WillMarchant said that "pass gas is very attractive." That is the sum of my hybrid knowledge.

Doug

As Promised,
Pictures of Trojan Motors!!!

The Attached Pictures are of The New Trojan Motors!

Enjoy and Discuss ;)

Another Picture Showing Top Side, as well as the Vent Port and VERY Upsized Top Hole to Increase Flows of Nitrous Oxide

And Another... Snap Rings are not inserted...

All Motors will retain the same dimensions as current Hypertek Motors!

Another Picture Showing Top Side, as well as the Vent Port and VERY Upsized Top Hole to Increase Flows of Nitrous Oxide

How do you fill the tank or is it compatible with the Hypertek GSE fill stem as well?

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
https://www.cesaronitech.com/
(941) 360-3100 x101 Sarasota
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

As Promised,
Pictures of Trojan Motors!!!

The Attached Pictures are of The New Trojan Motors!

Enjoy and Discuss ;)
Looks like I was pretty close!

Originally posted by Anthony Cesaroni
How do you fill the tank or is it compatible with the Hypertek GSE fill stem as well?

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO

With a little modification the HT GSE would work with these motors.

They do NOT use the Fill Stems for HT GSE. No Kline Valve, Either.

There have been and are a number of goals for this project. We took a step back and viewed the HT Motors from an outsiders perspective. We also took all the feedback which we have received over the past 18 months regarding HT motors and tried to come up with a solution.

A lot of the complaints stemmed from those fill stems ;) So They went.

Other complaints came from "HT motors are all low impulse, why can't they do what Contrail Motors do?!?" So we juiced them up a bit... Now they are fast :D

We have a pretty decent list of improvements made, and in the coming weeks I will post them.

Also Coming soon are: Videos, Thrust Curves, Prices, and More!

Pulled two posts referencing body parts. I personally LMAO, but thought that could lead the discussion into unwanted territory.

With a little modification the HT GSE would work with these motors.

They do NOT use the Fill Stems for HT GSE. No Kline Valve, Either.

There have been and are a number of goals for this project. We took a step back and viewed the HT Motors from an outsiders perspective. We also took all the feedback which we have received over the past 18 months regarding HT motors and tried to come up with a solution.

A lot of the complaints stemmed from those fill stems ;) So They went.

Other complaints came from "HT motors are all low impulse, why can't they do what Contrail Motors do?!?" So we juiced them up a bit... Now they are fast :D

We have a pretty decent list of improvements made, and in the coming weeks I will post them.

Also Coming soon are: Videos, Thrust Curves, Prices, and More!

Hi Tom,

With all due respect, you have been making high regression/fast burn claims about your motors and fuel since they were released. I have some questions, comments and observations without prejudice and for hopefully some fun and interesting dialogue.

Why is it that none of your TMT certified motors have a delivered Isp published? There are also some inconsistencies with some of the certification data that I can see and it seems to dispute your claim of "high regression". Let's take your M-2281 for example. I'll cite directly from TMT's published data. It shows a "loaded" weight of 5579 grams and a recovery weight of 5238 grams for a delta of 341 grams. I'm not sure why that doesn't include oxidizer mass BTW and if it does, it's clearly in error (3200 cc). The motor fuel grain weight starts at 1306 grams and again, the burnout delta is 341 grams. That doesn't sound like high regression rate fuel to me. It appears like the motor running predominantly in monopropellant mode and that may be why the delivered Isp was not published. N2O has a theoretical Isp of about 170 under standard ideal conditions (1000 psi, SL expanded). If you squirt 3200 grams of N2O though 4 big injector holes as in the case of your M and exothermically decompose it over a period of 2 plus seconds, one would expect to see the thrust levels reported, combustion efficiency and delivered Isp aside. The start/finish masses as published seem to confirm some of this as well as the nozzle material used in that particular motor. From the published data, some of your motors have delivered Isp in the low 100's that we can tell.

Keep in mind that I have at least one of your motors in the lab and have also done extensive ion spectrometry on the fuel compositions. I'll be more than happy to publish the basis for my position as well as my findings if you like. Both CTI and EAC have considerable expertise and IP in the area of high regression rate fuels, both hybrid and solid. Nothing in the analysis and tests that I conducted suggest your fuel formulations or motor design meets the definition. Frankly, I take exception to some of your claims and data unless you can provide anything to substantiate them further. I've attached the HT HPR properties spreadsheet for your information and If you have anything along these lines that you can provide, it might help to clarify some of this. I'll also be happy to address your O motor failure analysis as it pertains to HTPB fuel compositions and thermal shock seeing you publicly cited HyperTek in the report. Korey and I have a lot of experience in that regard with our Hyperion class motors.

Further more, the Contrails TMT certification data states testing was done in compliance with NFPA 1125. Was the testing done on TMT's test stand or on your trailer setup? If the latter, how was the system calibrated and do you have tractability methods such as NIST employed? Was the motor and it's propellants conditioned to pre-firing temperature as per NFPA? Were N2O pressures and temperatures recorded and if so, how? In other words, how was the actual N2O mass determined. Were the fuel burn out weights recorded? Was the post firing temperature of case recorded as per NFPA? Who and how many from TMT were present and who reduced the data? TMT was quite thorough and demanding along these lines when we were certifying with them so what has changed? CAR and NAR still seem to be insisting on the details. So, good rocket science and data or has marketing and just get the stuff out there taken the lead these days?

I guess all of this is quite moot if the consumers really don't care. As I mentioned previously, much of the propulsion aspects of the sport have digressed into pyrotechnics and if that's acceptable to the participants, then I guess it's fine. In other words, who cares as long as there is the effect? Just don't look for any significant technological advances going forward. BTW, the hobby, EX and alt.space don't have any idea about what's going on in advanced hybrid technology right now.

As far as your "Trojan" design is concerned, you should review the following U.S. patents and note the independent claims, our registered trademarks notwithstanding.

5715675 Hybrid valve techniques-- The Kline Valve See Fig 1

5893266 Pyrotechnic valve ignition – Pyrotechnic material blocking the flow of oxidizer. See Fig 12

6058697 Fill Techniques- Hypertek Fill Stem – A tube which communicates to the injector face thru the nozzle technically includes the so called “UC Valve” See Fig 2

6082097 Reloadable hybrid rocket motors --Cartridge reloadable combustion chambers. See Fig 2 thru 5

6912839 Ignition techniques for hybrids—Hypertek Gox ignition system See Fig 1

These are primarily HPR related and there are more, jointly or solely owned by CTI and/or EAC for commercial/military applications including high regression rate fuels.

Korey and I have each spent well into the six figures developing HPR hybrids alone over the years. Korey already has left HPR for the most part and as much as I enjoy the hobby, some of my management look at me like I have two heads for being involved in HPR at all. Someone, after reading your post, reminded me that I make all those custom diameter Hypertek tanks in house. If I jump ship, I guess you or your customers will need to find a new supplier. Then again, I might wake up grumpy some morning and decide to do something about the status quo, one way or another.

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back