DHL shipping and breaking my stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highrolla7

Reaction score
Hello,
I mailed out a set of headlights using DHL and the guy that got them said that one was broke. (they were packed in foam, then put in a larger box) I guess the box is all dented and looks mis-handled. has anybody had to deal with shipping companies and getting things like this rectified. Before I call and complain, just want to know what Im up against. I dont have my receipt, but the guy that recieved the box kept everything. Any helpful comments or pointers?? Thanks

if you have the tracking number and box number you could E-mail them and ask "I need to know how to file a damge report on some items that were shipped" It would be alot easier if you put insurance on it, if not you could be a real Jerk and say "sorry should of gotton insurance" :p (kidding) ;) Good luck!

thanx, Ben

DHL SUCKS !!!

They bought the german postal service... and they have prices... omfg

If DHL is like UPS and Fed-ex ground, your shipment is automatically insured for up to $100.00. They make it very difficult to make a claim against that insurance, though. I would put in a claim, but don't be surprised when they say it was packaged inadaquately and deny the claim. Usless these are antique headlights or really expensive ones, it might not be worth the time and frustration to continue the fight.

My only dealings with DHL I had very rude and worthless 'service"

well, should the shipper or reciever be doing this? I told the guy that I could try to get a hold of them, but he is the one with all the info etc.

DHL is awesome. I've ordered rocket motors from Red Arrow Hobbies and they sent by way of DHL and the everything arrived in perfect condition and fast.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
DHL is awesome. I've ordered rocket motors from Red Arrow Hobbies and they sent by way of DHL and the everything arrived in perfect condition and fast.

How do their prices compare with UPS or Fed Ex?

for me, they were maybe a dollar cheaper, but a day later. I went with them because everybody talks down UPS and Fed Ex, guess Im better off just driving the **** stuff myself and charging mileage :D Hard to get good service these days (well, with my luck anyway)

I'll put it to you this way... DHL has a huge hub at the Wilmington Airport in Wilmington, OH about an hour from my house. I tracked a kit from Loc through Hobbylinc to that hub where it sat for two days before it finally left and arrived at my house. That experience was less than ideal. I was going to just pick it up there but when I called they said it just left (convenient). I will avoid their services at all costs.

Originally posted by Darian Rachal
How do their prices compare with UPS or Fed Ex?

Shipping was only $15 it was because it was huge order of rocket motors. But other orders I've gotten from say UPS and UPSP have been about the same for shipping and they ship a whole lot slower.

Originally posted by Roman
They bought the german postal service... and they have prices... omfg

Other way around - Deutsche Post bought 51% of DHL's shares in 2001 and the remaining 49% in 2002.

Last September DP also bought Exel who had just bought Tibbett and Britten who I was working for at the time. We officially became part of DHL last December and now we're called "DHL Exel Supply Chain".

Originally posted by highrolla7
snip.... Hard to get good service these days (well, with my luck anyway)

You ought to try dealing with government employees sometime.

My experence (limited) has been that the shipper starts the claim and a some point the shipping company will send an adjuster out to look at the damaged package. They need to keep everything in order for the claim to be filed. Don't expect it to be paid fast.

My Dad use to own a business that did a lot of shipping. After a few problems getting claims paid, they started a seperate account for insurance and became self insured. They were way ahead and could just reship damaged good without waiting on a claim. Saved LOTS of money that way.

I started using DHL for Ebay stuff and switched back to FedEX. they seem to be more reliable to me.

I like the shade of yellow they use on their equipment.

Claims are a pain with every company. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back