MMX Cluster of 1:282 Sat 1B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saluki

Reaction score
Could or is it possible to cluster 4 mmx motor to lift Flis Saturn 1B? Has anyone built the kit yet and are there any got yas? Would like to have some feed back please.

Could or is it possible to cluster 4 mmx motor to lift Flis Saturn 1B? Has anyone built the kit yet and are there any got yas? Would like to have some feed back please.

Not easily, but I am working on it.
Takes some major surgery and well; a few things i'm not really ready to discuss yet to clurster these supurb small scale model.

The main problem is that the 4 motors will take up so much room that you are going to be cutting into the 8 exterior fuel tubes. As I recall, Bill Spadafora is looking into something like this as well.

T'would be exciting if you can do it though :)

jim

The main problem is that the 4 motors will take up so much room that you are going to be cutting into the 8 exterior fuel tubes. As I recall, Bill Spadafora is looking into something like this as well.

T'would be exciting if you can do it though :)

jim

Yes and it's at the top of the pile on my bench but NARCON has pretty much sucked up all my free time recently. I had it all figured out but have forgotten what I planned to do.

There is room for it, though I'd seriously question whether it's even remotely worth the effort it would be.

• The shock/awe of clustering something like (4) C6's on the Estes/Semroc kit just doesn't scale down to MMX. Trust me, after clustering 16 MMX's in a Soyuz, you really can't even see that they did their job.
  • Clustering would require major changes to the already challenging task of taking a slice out of the tank tubes to get them to fit. This is easy to mess up with Jim's very good templates; I can't imagine how fun it would be to try to do that making room for the 4x cluster and still have it look decent.
  • Reliably igniting multiple MMX's is tough. There's Micromeister, and there's the rest of us. Two is not a big deal, 4 is much harder, and I would hate to put the kind of work into the tower that this bugger takes to have it come down pranging due to weak and/or asymmetrical thrust.

If you really want to cluster this, go all in and cluster for (8), completely eliminating the central motor tube. That's not too far out of synch, but enough so that most of the kit would be worthless or wrong scale, making it a scratch project.

--Chan Stevens

Thanks guy for taking a look at my questions. In the first place I am not too fond of clustered rockets to begin with. I am sure those little motors have to be hard to get everything hooked up right without getting a few wires touching. My thought was to have one motor in the center to eject the chute, and four other motors around it for lifting power. The four motors could eject themselves from the rocket after their power cycle was used as long as the center motors pop the chute.

I would like to create a flight that isn’t a streak to watch. I am thinking an altitude of fifty to sixty feet would be nice. Maybe I am wanting too much. I have some MMX rockets that I can actually see their flight path putty good. If anyone has a thought please feel free to chime in.

Back