Hot off the newswire:ATF Document

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessgravity

Reaction score
Just saw this on the newswire:
"ATF Publishes Final Rule on Model Rocket Motors

WASHINGTON, Aug. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives (ATF) published in the Federal Register today a
final rule that amends the regulations to clarify that the requirements of
27 CFR Part 555 do not apply to model rocket motors consisting of ammonium
perchlorate composite propellant (APCP), black powder, or other similar low
explosives, containing no more than 62.5 grams of total propellant weight,
and designed as single-use motors or as reload kits capable of reloading no
more than 62.5 grams of propellant into a reusable motor casing.
The final rule is intended to provide rocketry hobbyists with guidance
to enable them to enjoy their hobby in compliance with the safety and
security requirements of the law and regulations.
ATF is the federal agency with jurisdiction for regulating the
explosives industry, enforcing the Safe Explosives Act and investigating
explosives incidents. More information on ATF and its programs is at
https://www.atf.gov."

And if I understand the text of the full ruling, they are destroying easy access in that any motor bigger than 62.5 grams needs a LEUP to use or own. Regardless of whether the propellant components are smaller than 62.5 grams. It is the assembled motor that counts now.

But I see some incosistentcies in the rulemaking text.

"Finally, because it has no interacting mechanical or electrical components, the hobby rocket motor cannot be deemed to be a gas generator system."

And

"..the hobby rocket motor is little more than propellant in a casing, incapable of performing its intended function until fully installed (along with an ignition system).."

Hmmm no interacting electrical components??:confused:

"In applying the regulatory definition,ATF has classified certain products as propellant actuated devices: aircraft slide inflation cartridges, inflatable automobile occupant restraint systems, nail guns, and diesel and jet engine starter cartridges."

"Because the hobby rocket motor is, in essence, simply the propellant that actuates the hobby rocket, and for the additional reasons stated in the preceding paragraphs, the motor itself cannot be construed to constitute a propellant actuated device."

But a Jet Engine Starter Cartridge is?? I don't see much difference.:p

I gotta spend some more time researching but I think ATF just put their foot in their mouth on this.

And under thier definition the space shuttle is not a "propellant actuated device". :eek:

One last comment. The definition of Rocket Engine from the American New Heritage Online Dictionary:

A reaction engine that contains all the substances necessary for its operation and is not dependent on substances such as tmospheric oxygen, drawn from the surrounding medium, and thus is capable of operating in outer space. Also called rocket motor.

A couple things strike me as really dumb. For one thing, wouldn't the rocket itself be the PAD? For another, I can have 1,000 G motors at 62.4 grams stored in a plastic bag in my basement (thats 62,400 grams of APCP) but one single motor with 62.6 grams must be stored as an explosive!

If they are going to regulate, they should regulate based on the total mass of APCP being stored.

Furthermore, they are claiming that the economic damages will be less than $100 Million and that small business will not be dramatically disrupted. This is pure B.S. In my home state (Ohio) they have already driven out Magnum and Great Lakes Hobbies due to regulatory issues or fear of them. I hope the NAR and Tripoli lawyers challenge them on this issue.

Also isn't it true you can store as much gasoline in your house as you want and up to 50 pounds of bp in your house. Whats more dangerous a guy storing lets say 3 H128's, 3 H123's, and 2 I284's in his house safely store away in closet away from any ignition source verses a guy storing lets say 25 pounds of bp and 20 gallons of gasoline in his garage. Who would you rather live next to? I'd rather live next to the guy storing the rocket motors then the guy storing 25 pounds of bp and 20 gallons of gasoline in his garage.

Note this is all made up. I'm just trying to set an example of how these rules make no sence.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
Note this all made up. I'm just trying to set an example of how these rules make no sence.

Who says they need to make sense? We're talking about the BATFE :D

Originally posted by MarkM
Who says they need to make sense? We're talking about the BATFE :D

Bammmm! You nailed it.

Originally posted by falingtrea
"Finally, because it has no interacting mechanical or electrical components, the hobby rocket motor cannot be deemed to be a gas generator system."

And

"..the hobby rocket motor is little more than propellant in a casing, incapable of performing its intended function until fully installed (along with an ignition system).."

Hmmm no interacting electrical components??:confused:

"In applying the regulatory definition,ATF has classified certain products as propellant actuated devices: aircraft slide inflation cartridges, inflatable automobile occupant restraint systems, nail guns, and diesel and jet engine starter cartridges."

"Because the hobby rocket motor is, in essence, simply the propellant that actuates the hobby rocket, and for the additional reasons stated in the preceding paragraphs, the motor itself cannot be construed to constitute a propellant actuated device."
A pretty blatant case of doublespeak, isn't it?

No electrical components? How about the igniter and our electronic forward closure?

Which of their claimed exempted PADS is capable of "performing its intended function" before being "fully installed"?

This is, to me, another half-assed attempt by the BATFE to regulate something it knows it can't really do.

I need a clarification - before this, up to what size motor could you buy without a LEUP? I know now I can buy up to the 9-grain J570W, right? Just no 54mm motors? Or right now is is a state of flux depending on what exactly?

Thanks for the help,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back