launch lug sizes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaddeus

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if its ok to use 3/16 LLs on a kit that calls for 1/8? I know not to go the other way, but I hate to change rods on site. and speaking of... I don't want to buy a new pad for my V2, but it has 1/4 LLs and I'm VERY tempted to put on 3/16. I know this is a no no, but has anyone tried it? is it the wieght of the model or the power of the E motors I need to be concerned about? or should I just retire my 30 yr old Portapad and get one that will except all three sizes? anyone have a suggestion for a pad? something not to bulky?

Too big of a launch lug is usually OK. You could even use a large launch lug with a smaller rod. A 1/4" rod is a good idea for rockets using E engines or weighing over 8oz. A 3/16 LL <i>might</i> work for your V2 if there is no wind.

I've been thinking the same thing and I intend to try a larger lug on smaller models. I can't imagine it would do any harm. Quite the opposite. A thicker rod should result in less rod whip. However, the larger lug might result in more drag.

I have gotten to where I use 3/16" lugs on almost all of my rockets. Our 1/8" rods are easily bent.

You do lose some altitude due to drag, but the rocket should go straighter.

It will go straighter off the rod, but the unbalanced drag of a launch lug may cause it to change direction a little.

On all but "tiny" stuff I usee 5mm rods. Just makes more sense as the majority of my stuff calls for the bigger rod anyway...Keep it slick.

I slick my rods up with WD-40 before each launch. I thought of coating it with this stuff called "lock-ease." This is basically graphite suspended in a solvent. It does work well for car door locks but I'm not sure it would be good for launch rods.

WD-40 is good for cleaning rods, but don't use it as a lubricant. You want your rods clean, smooth, and dry. Oils will cause exhaust particles to stick and cake up.

Steel wool or Scotchbrite scrubbies do a good job of cleaning up after a launch.

You might want to take a look at the current TRF thread Launch rods.

Get good steel 3mm and 5mm rods. With the legs secured and with a decent 5mm rod fitted, a Porta Pad can launch some pretty hefty model rockets. Mine does. :)

If the V2 is the Estes one, it should be alright on a good steel 5mm rod. You should, however, be concerned about weight and the power of the E9, but not for reasons to do with launch rods - I seem to recall reading elsewhere on the forum that because it has lower thrust than the D12, the E9 does not do very well with the V2...

So what should I use for launch rod lube? Or should I just not bother lubing it?

I did, in a fit of insanity, put some car wax on my launch rods. I'm sure it didn't stick at all. They shine up nicely with chrome polish though.

Originally posted by Orporg
So what should I use for launch rod lube? Or should I just not bother lubing it?

I did, in a fit of insanity, put some car wax on my launch rods. I'm sure it didn't stick at all. They shine up nicely with chrome polish though.

I clean my rods after a launch session but I only oil them if they are going to be stored for more than a couple days. I dry them completely before launch.

I use PAM cooking spray to wipe down each launch rod before and after a launch.

Best regards,
Brian

Just a word, if you are going to use larger lugs, try to offset by putting them in the fin joint. Has worked well for me. I hate dealing with more than one rod.
Brian

This probably is not your case but a warning against using "proper sized" lugs on lightweight models using the small (e.g. A3-4T, A10-3T, etc.) engines: the boost is often too weak to overcome the friction of a close fitting LL. I've had many gliders and smaller rockets seize up on the launch rod and never leave the pad because a very light breeze that misaligned them just a fraction from absolutely vertical.

I believe it's not harmful if you decide to go up one size. Don't go sloppy loose, but too snug a fit--as I can tell you from sad experience--can be trouble if you're launching, say, a multi-stager or cluster.

Random comments: I occasionally put two sizes of lugs on. This gives flexibility at club pads that usually have up to 6 positions with only one being 3/16". I also can upsize engines a bit. You can use 3/16" lugs on 1/8 rods as long as they are not too short. I have had one bind, but only one. If worried, put on two of them. I also have used a 1/8" lugs on MicroMaxx rockets and they work fine.

Random comments: I occasionally put two sizes of lugs on. This gives flexibility at club pads that usually have up to 6 positions with only one being 3/16". I also can upsize engines a bit. You can use 3/16" lugs on 1/8 rods as long as they are not too short. I have had one bind, but only one. If worried, put on two of them. I also have used a 1/8" lugs on MicroMaxx rockets and they work fine.

Best of both worlds, great suggestion! :headbang:

Yes is the simple answer.

The graphite lock lube will stain your fingers and clothes and is difficult to clean off.

Latest posts

Back