I small lug, 2 small lugs, 1 BIG lug...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohica

Reaction score
I recently found a local source for carbon fiber tubing. I buy it in 36" lengths for $1.56. It's a perfect fit for the 5mm rods.

Instead of using a single small LL that must be perfectly placed or 2 small lugs that call for critical alignment I have been using 6" to 8" pieces of the CF rod.

It works great and weighs practically nothing. I do this because it takes one more variable out of each scratch build. It's also much "slicker" than plastic.

Thoughts?

My favorite is two small lugs, one at the base of the fin/bt joint and the other about middle of bt. Dead straight, smooth launches.

/--\________________ /--\____________________
___________________________________________>
///////////
////////
////
//
/

I've seen both methods used. Normally I use two short lugs as well. The one thing you don't want is one short lug, especially if it's too far from the centre line - either the whole body is wide, or the nose cone is wide and the launch lug is on a stand-off. The motor will then try to push the rocket around the lug so that the rocket tries to pitch. The lug will then generate a lot of friction. If you're lucky, the rocket won't get off the launch rod. If you're unlucky, the rocket will either break off its launch lug and go off on a random course, or it will try to take the pad with it. I speak from experience here. :D

A second lug placed as By Basher suggests will solve this problem.

Nothing wrong with that - an 8" long single lug is the same as 2 small lugs 8" apart with a little more surface drag but that's probably insignificant. But you didn't say how long the rocket is, If it's more than 3 ft long I use 2 lugs separated by about 18". I use lugs one size bigger than the rod I will use for example if I plan to fly off a 3/8" rod I will use 1/2" ID lugs, that way the alignment doesn't have to be perfect

Latest posts

Back