Suggestions for sources to buy older (oop) rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
My taste in model rockets in the last few years is leaning way over to the out-of-production, or ‘vintage’ or ‘classic’ low-powered variety. I have been picking up most of them from eBay, and gotten a few from fellow TRFers. I know about Rocketry Online auctions, and I’ve looked at Yahoo auction (slim pickin’s there). I was just wondering if maybe there were some other places I don’t know about, and maybe somebody here might point me in that direction.

As an aside, and from the “Is it just me?” dept. – I was just pondering about why the older kits are so appealing to me now, and I think I might have sort of an idea. Even though I did fly rockets as a kid, I don’t really remember which exact ones they were, so I don’t have a nostalgic attachment to any particular model. But I have noticed as I get older (I’m 42 now), and especially as I watch my kids growing up, that I have become more aware, and maybe more than just a little sad, that childhood is so fleeting. So, being an overly-sentimental fool anyway, I guess I long for any link to those times. I’ve always liked models in general, and rockets in particular, so maybe it makes sense that I get such a kick out of getting my hands on an un-opened package from Estes or Centuri from the 70’s or even the 60’s, and trying to decide whether or not to open it after 30 or so years, or just add it to my collection. Just a thought.

S..

Thanks! I saw a couple rockets I want - but I'm not sure how they handle purchases from this side of the pond. I'll go back and search the website a little more.

S..

Steve - with ya on the sentimental foolery .. lots of classic stuff comes up on EBay so check it out, but beware - many other fools are out there, ready to out bid you and pay vastly more money than an old kit is worth.

You can clone a kit for $$$cheap, with a good supply of tubes and nose cones, or check out Semroc. someone should print up some "I'm a friend of Jim Z" bumper stickers. many old plans available from https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

maybe probably better in the long run to just remember "these are the good old days" and make some of your own, right now, whereever you are.

Yup - I've spent a lot of time at Jim Z.'s site, and I have probably a dozen or so clones c/o Semroc, PDRocketry, Thrustline, Excelsior, etc. And I have shaken my head in disbelief at some of the prices I've seen people pay on eBay. The most I've laid out was around 60 bucks - then of course I saw the same one go for less soon after. I still don't have a Saturn V, and it looks like if I want one - I'll be looking at shelling out a hundred bucks at least.

Originally posted by cls

maybe probably better in the long run to just remember "these are the good old days" and make some of your own, right now, whereever you are.

Good advice. Reminds me of a quote I read the other day... (from a calendar my oldest daughter had given me for father's day).

"If you want to live on in the memories of the ones you love - be sure you spend time with them now".

Sometimes it seems so easy to just assume there'll always be time later.

S..

Originally posted by Steve
My taste in model rockets in the last few years is leaning way over to the out-of-production, or ‘vintage’ or ‘classic’ low-powered variety. I have been picking up most of them from eBay, and gotten a few from fellow TRFers. I know about Rocketry Online auctions, and I’ve looked at Yahoo auction (slim pickin’s there). I was just wondering if maybe there were some other places I don’t know about, and maybe somebody here might point me in that direction.

As an aside, and from the “Is it just me?” dept. – I was just pondering about why the older kits are so appealing to me now, and I think I might have sort of an idea. Even though I did fly rockets as a kid, I don’t really remember which exact ones they were, so I don’t have a nostalgic attachment to any particular model. But I have noticed as I get older (I’m 42 now), and especially as I watch my kids growing up, that I have become more aware, and maybe more than just a little sad, that childhood is so fleeting. So, being an overly-sentimental fool anyway, I guess I long for any link to those times. I’ve always liked models in general, and rockets in particular, so maybe it makes sense that I get such a kick out of getting my hands on an un-opened package from Estes or Centuri from the 70’s or even the 60’s, and trying to decide whether or not to open it after 30 or so years, or just add it to my collection. Just a thought.

S..
Steve, go on over to Ye Olde Rocket Forum (YORF), at https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/. It's specifically intended for those who long for the good old model rocket kits. Also, many of the guys over there are also here on TRF.

And I have shaken my head in disbelief at some of the prices I've seen people pay on eBay.

I am guilty of paying a bit too much for an Alien Explorer, but a lot of the rockets on Ebay that are going for way too much $ are easily cloned, like the Cherokee and Omega that went for $70+ each.

I suppose anything can be copied, just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

Steve, rest assured it's not just you, especially if one is into scale stuff like I am, Estes just isn't doing a lot of that anymore. In terms of buying rockets from the online auctions, sometimes you gotta pay up, and sometimes you get lucky. I got real lucky with the Mercury Atlas I'm building now, bid $50 for it on ROL and actually won it, no one else even bid on it. Now I see that rocket going for $80-$100 or more on ROL and ebay.

Glenn

I got most of mine on eBay; took me about 5 years, but I did manage to get a complete set of Goonybirds.

Patience and an idea of what you are and are not willing to pay makes a difference. I got the Goonys for anywhere between $35 and $105 per kit.

-Kevin

Originally posted by Ltvscout
Yup, still waiting for those scans. ;)

Doh!

Not-so-subtle email reminders will be tolerated....

I even found the CD I burned not too long ago. Need to dig it up again, and get it to you!

-Kevin

Originally posted by JRThro
Steve, go on over to Ye Olde Rocket Forum (YORF), at https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/. It's specifically intended for those who long for the good old model rocket kits. Also, many of the guys over there are also here on TRF.

Ahh, good idea. I knew about the site, but only hung around long enough to dig up a set of plans, or look for a decal scan or something.

Meantime - I'll be trying to out-snipe some sniper over at eBay so I can spend too much $ for some cardboard and balsa :)

BTW - I see some bidder's names over and over and wonder how some of these guys get anything else done. Like eating, work, etc. I keep hoping I'll be lucky and get a deal that maybe the other guys missed - only to be foiled at the last second. Drats.

S..

Steve,
I am incredibly nostalgic over old Estes and Centuri kits. I've been that way since I was 12 (in '79). Most of my "oldies" collection was obtained way before Ebay, but I've gotten about 100 or so from there. The thing to remember with Ebay... "There will always be another one sooner or later!" If you see a model you like bid what you would be willing to pay for it and nothing more... If you lose, bid on the next one. Eventually you get what you want at the price you want. As more people discover Ebay and sell their old rocket stuff the cheaper the old stuff gets!

Here's one of my favorite pictures!

Originally posted by rokitflite

old school :cool:

hey scott, got rocket? :D

I know what you guys mean, I seem to be drawn to a lot of kits from decades gone by. I've bought a few vintage kits, printed plans to clone others, and just longed for a "retro series" from estes to come out, for some of the more complex designs.

you can't tell me that estes wouldn't make $$ bringing back some of their old kits, some of which, the youngsters of the hobby may never have seen before.

Originally posted by rokitflite
The thing to remember with Ebay... "There will always be another one sooner or later!" If you see a model you like bid what you would be willing to pay for it and nothing more... If you lose, bid on the next one.
Soooooo much easier said than done... for me, anyway. It gets down to the last minute or so and I think 'a couple dollars more won't kill me'. It's like gambling or something. :(
Yeah, I've seen some of your pics here. All I can think of is : "We're not worthy, we're not worthy". :) Awesome.

S..

As an aside, and from the “Is it just me?” dept. – I was just pondering about why the older kits are so appealing to me now
Steve, you're not alone. There are a bunch of us old sentimental farts around here (and even more on Ye Olde Rocket Forum). There is an attraction to kits from when we were kids. As I look through the '73 estes catalog, I see ones I had as a kid. I've been trying to pick up some of these, and have so far won a total of '1'. The rest I'm just cloning, which is a different kind of challenge. The nice thing about cloning is it supports the current vendors, like Thrustline, Semroc, Excelsior, etc. I'm also enjoying the current renaissance (fliskits, squirrelworks, etc.), and like cls said, making some good old days with my son.

Take a look at the centuri buck rogers kits on ebay that horizon123 is selling. They are a fun build, and a reasonable price.

Hit every hobby shop you can. I've found a number of models this way. It is usually someone bringing in a box of kits and trading 'em for another hobby.

Leave your name and number with the owner. They'll gladly help in your quest.

Originally posted by paulk

Take a look at the centuri buck rogers kits on ebay that horizon123 is selling. They are a fun build, and a reasonable price.

I'm not sure who I bought it from, but I agree - it was fairly cheap and fun to build. My first Centuri - actually had a hard time deciding whether or not to build it. Then I bought another one just to add to my collection. :)

S..

Back