1st scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmerflyer

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first scratch build that have done. The body tube is made from a mailing tube. Then the nose cone is turn for foam. Just want to see what you guys think. Also i need a name for it.

Thanks Timmerflyer

Forgot the pic
CIMG1785.jpg

Originally posted by Timmerflyer
Hi

This is my first scratch build that have done. The body tube is made from a mailing tube. Then the nose cone is turn for foam. Just want to see what you guys think. Also i need a name for it.

Thanks Timmerflyer

I think it looks good ofr a first scratch except for one thing....

WHERE ARE THE FINS!!! :p

thanx, Ben

much better :) suggestion: put a thin strip of paper "wetted" out with diluted Elmer's glue in the edge of the fins ad wrap ot around to clean up the edge. prime sand paint and fly :) Looks good!

thanx, Ben

I think i'm going to take the name stub. I also have another ?. What should i use to seal the nose cone?

Thanks Timmerflyer

That's a tuffy without knowing what kind of foam it is. Some are far more porous than others.

I think i'm going to take the name stub. I also have another ?. What should i use to seal the nose cone?

Thanks Timmerflyer

if it sticks to this type of foam use epoxy and then sand and cover imperfections with fill n' finish of wood fille of primer etc.

thanx, Ben

Well i got the foam at walmart it is used for setting fake flowers in.

that stff it really porus. I would just add the putty to safve weight.

thanx, Ben

I don't know about the filler but I wanted to wish you good luck with your first scratch built.

Would wood filler work or should i get some other puddy?

Thanks Timmerflyer
it would add some weight, so thin it out with a little water. not so much that its liquid but just a little.

thanx, Ben

I got stub painted up and started on a 2 stage scratch build. The 1st stage is a c and then the 2nd is a 1/4 motor. I will have video on later. Heres some pics.

CIMG1793.jpg

CIMG1792.jpg

CIMG1794.jpg

Put them both in the air today. Both come down ballistic and the 2nd stage didn't go off in the 2 stage rocket. Heres a video of ramdom rockets.

video

Thanks Timmerflyer

If Stub came down ballistic, it probably means either the nose cone is too tight or the motor is too loose. Was the motor still in the rocket? When you build another one, try blowing through the motor mount and see if you can blow the nose cone out. And then make sure the motor is well taped in. Some folks put a wrap of tape around the motor to make sure it is tight in the body tube - and then some of those have trouble getting it back out again. My preferred method, if there's some of the motor mount tube exposed, is to run some tape from the motor to the mount tube, so that you're actually taping the motor in place.

When a C6-0 burns out, it sends bits of burning propellant forward, some of which will find their way into the nozzle of the 2nd stage and ignite it. Provided, that is, that the 2nd stage is still there. The C6-0 also produces significant forward gas pressure even though it has no official ejection charge, which can cause the 2nd stage to separate without ejecting. To avoid this, make the booster a little longer so there's a gap between the 1st and 2nd stage motors, then drill 2 or 3 small holes around this gap. That will vent off the gas, so the 2nd stage won't go anywhere before it can ignite. I have successfully staged an A3-4T from a C6-0 using this method. (Mind you, I never saw the upper stage again!)

Back