Official AIRFest 12 Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First the important details:

AIRFest 12
  • September 1-4, 2006 (Labor Day weekend)
  • Daily Range hours 9AM - 5PM
  • Sponsored by KLOUDBusters
  • Argonia, Kansas Rocket Pasture
  • Visit www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/ for details and pre-registration.
Can the 2005 edition of AIRFest be topped in 2006? We're not sure, but we're going to try. Last year, there were 126 registered flyers in attendance from 16 states, plus a large number of non-registered low- and mid-power flyers from all around the area. Over 500 launches took place during the 4-day event.

Several launches were in the 'spectacular' realm: the maiden flight of the Nebraska Delta III, Anarchy X, and Wildman all had installed impulse in the 'P' range. We saw the AMW 'N' Skidmark thunder into the sky, an M2200 skid drag race, and who will forget the 3-way Ultimate Endeavor drag race. Many have said those were three of the most memorable flights they have ever seen. Check out our newsletter for lots of details on all the fun: https://www.kloudbusters.org/news/Kbnews2005OctLoC.pdf

Friday through Sunday will be a standard commercial launch, all commercial certified motors welcomed. TRA or NAR HPR flyers welcomed. We also invite our model and mid-power friends to join in the fun; in fact 'G' and under impulse rocketeers fly for free on these days! Monday will be operated under Tripoli Research rules: level 2 and level 3 TRA flyers only, commercial or Research motors.

For the duration of AIRFest 12, our standard 34,500' waiver will be in effect, so bring those high-altitude birds. Don't forget, for flights over 25,000', advance TRA BoD approval is required.

We'll have on-site vendors for all your rocketry needs, on-site food vendors and of course ice. Event t-shirts will be available. We will have our traditional Saturday evening AIRFest Barbecue Party at the Argonia City Pool for cooling off and some great eats. Of course, the on-site night-life can be a story unto itself.

Browse over to www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/ for the full details, including discounted pre-registration. You can find information on area lodging, camping, range info, and more.

I hope to meet many TRF friends at AIRFest 12

Lance, Pencil me in to be there! Actually I will go online to register, but I plan to be there. You can pencil me in for some range duty though. Any shift will do, and I should be able to do it a couple of days as wel. If something changes and I can not make it, I will let you know. I had a great time at AIRFest 11, and do not want to miss this one. Also thanks for your Mentoring at LDRS, I do need to get into electronic recovery, and you taking the time to show me as you prepped helps a lot!

Happy Flying!
Mike Dickinson

Lance,

Unfortunately I'm going to miss AIRFest this year unless something drastic happens at work such as me quitting or getting fired. Neither event would bother me at all as long as I can get to AIRFest and visit with the Kloudbusters again. Maybe another hurricane will hit Louisiana and give me a good excuse to leave town like last year!

I do want to tell everyone that last years event was tremendous and it started as we drove into town and saw the Welcome to Argonia sign that brags about being home to five LDRS launches. You just can't beat something as exciting as having a whole community support rocketry.

My wife and kids enjoyed the entire weekend with the Kloudbusters running such an entertaining and safe launch. We even stayed over on Monday just to watch the rockets with research motors get launched.

When everyone reading this does decide to attend make sure you bring little itty bitty rockets with huge motors so you can take advantage of the large recovery area and great waiver. It really is a wonderful place to fly.

Andrew Grippo

Mike,

I always know you can be counted on for help. It is very much appreciated!

Andrew,

Well, shucks, it's too bad you won't be able to join us this year, but I'm not wishing more hurricanes on anybody. :( Thanks for the endorsement, we do indeed enjoy a great relationship with Argonia and a great field.

BTW, even though it's only 4 LDRS', it seems like 5 since LDRS 22 was LDRS plus Discovery Channel Rocket Challenge all rolled into one.

--Lance.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it this year, my parents want to go to the State Fair again, and that's the week after AIRfest. Ugh, we did this last year too.

Ah well.

Just a reminder that AIRFest 12 pre-registration is open until August 21, 2006, which is less that 1 week away.

4 days of rocketry fun for the $30 high-power registration fee is a great deal, not to mention getting to watch literally hundreds of flights throughout the weekend. And anyone launching 'G' and under flys for free.

PLEASE NOTE: If you want only t-shirts or BBQ Party tickets (no high-power registration), you should pre-register for those as there won't be many extras available on-site.

I was down at Argonia last weekend and all the fields adjacent to the Rocket Pasture are currently plowed - as in dirt - with nothing to hide behind. You're going to have to work hard to lose 'em.

Visit www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/ for details and pre-registration.

Thanks, --Lance.

Things are shaping up very nicely for a great AIRFest 12 weekend.

We're once again expecting over 100 flyers and several hundred flights on the weekend. We're hearing about several M and N impulse flights being planned.

The fields all around the Argonia Rocket Pasture are in great shape and the Pasture is mowed. We've even had enough rain in South Central Kansas to greatly reduce the fire risk.

Just 4 days and counting ... come on out for 4 great days of rocketry, September 1-4, 2006 at Argonia.

airfest12graphic.jpg

I'll be there for the whole weekend. Showing up sometime Thursday evening and leaving Monday afternoon. I'm scheduled for LCA first thing Friday morning. See you there.

Dangit Lance! We're not gonna make it this year...just too many irons in the fire.

I 100% agree with Andrew though, last years event was first rate! Kloudbuster hospitality can't be beat!

I wish you folks clear skies and low winds! Fly one for me!

Jim Ballard
NAR/TRA L3

I was wanting to be there but I ran out of Vac. time mabey next year:(

Jim - Thanks for the good wishes. Things are looking REALLY good right now. Temps are 15-20 degrees cooler than just a week or two ago. It should be gorgeous. Field looks great. Heck, even gas prices are cooperating (for now). If you get bored sitting around the house you know where to find us. ;)

OARJeepr - I'll probably see you Thurs. evening then. I'm headed that way to direct traffic and meet the early birds.

2 days and counting.

--Lance.

I'm really looking forward to being there. I'm so ready, only two days of football practice and one day of marchng band at a game along with school to go. I really don't know if we can top last years Airfest.

It should be a great Launch! I am planning my first K motor flight and it should be a rocker with sim to 10K and tickling Mach! I also have several other flights planned on H and I motors. I am looking forward to seeing every one there!

Alright, I'm going to pack the car and then I'm gone. Hope to see you all there. I'll be under the St. Louis Rocketry banner somewhere on the prep line. Later.

I had a great time at Airfest, that Kansas crew is top notch, and put on a great launch! The guest's from Texas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Illinois, were great to see agiain, and very hospitable. It was great to see other faces from Oklahoma as well. There were great flights, and the weather was superb. Hope to get up there for Distant Thunder!

Sounds like a great time, and I can't wait for pics to go up :)

I wish I could have made it - too much going on this year, but last year's event was amazing.

I hope I can make it next year.

wow, what a weekend. Too much to possibly go over in a post but let's try...Kansas is flat, SR71's fly poorly in 15mph winds, K700's rock, bad weekend for traffic cones, 3 1/2 fins doesn't make a patriot stable, and more I'll remember later.

I got home about 10 last night and pretty much fell in bed. I'll get the car unpacked and the film developed then i'll post some pictures.

Oh yeah, wire cutters are a much better choice for cutting wire ties than a box cutter.

I thought about you guys all weekend....and how much fun I had there last year....wishing I could be there this time!

Eagerly awaiting the pictures!

Jim
NAR/TRA L3

AIRFest 12 was a resounding success as others have noted.

The flights were great, the food was great, the people were AWESOME, and the weather . . . ooohhh the weather. Never topped 80 all weekend. Despite overcast on Fri. and Sat., the ceiling was near 10,000' and Sun. and Mon. were ceiling-less. We saw about 6 or 8 flights over 20,000' with the high for the weekend around 23,500'. Yikes!

A discussion of the launch is not complete without giving a huge THANK YOU!! to all those who volunteered their time for set-up, range duty, registration, etc. Without the outstanding efforts of everyone, AIRFest 12 would just be a picnic in the pasture. You people are awesome.

Finally, the AIRFest 12 official t-shirt was a huge hit. We have taken enough extra orders to make another run of t-shirts and will be doing so real soon. If you're interested in an AIRFest 12 t-shirt, contact me at president at kloudbusters dot org for details on ordering.

airfest12graphic.jpg

The t-shirt graphic looks like above on a blue shirt.

Thanks, --Lance.

Lance, Thanks for a great weekend. I had one question on the T shirt graphics. Is that Bob's orange and blue kloudbuster on the graphic?

Originally posted by mikeyd
Lance, Thanks for a great weekend. I had one question on the T shirt graphics. Is that Bob's orange and blue kloudbuster on the graphic?
Ding ... ding ... ding ... we have a winner!!!

And the skinny grey rocket is my Aamram. The designer used photos from the web-site to grab pictures of rockets. The fat one headed away from the graphic is from ... well ... I'm not sure. :)

--Lance.

got my pictures up...I may or may not update the names and such. I didn't take any notes, so I only know a few of the rockets and flyers. Anything you recognize and want labeled correctly, just let me know. Airfest pics

looks like ya have a good time. Ill try to make it next year:( I want to be there

Originally posted by OARJeepr
got my pictures up...I may or may not update the names and such. I didn't take any notes, so I only know a few of the rockets and flyers. Anything you recognize and want labeled correctly, just let me know. Airfest pics
Thanks for posting the pictures Bill, you got some good shots as well. The last set of my Hobby Labs SR71 Glider came out well. That is the first time I have seen a liftoff profile shot of it!

Mike Dickinson

thanks...funny thing is I forgot that roll of film was 36xp (only one I had) so I started snapping pics of the model pads to use it up. After about 28 or so I realized my screwup and just finished it up on your SR71. Very nice flight by the way.

Planning on being there next year too. Hopefully we'll drag a few more SLRA guys with us.

WOW!!!

All the AIRFest photos look great.

It was great to have the large contingent of Missouri folks over to Argonia this year. And the nice cool weather was a "double-bonus".

Thanks for sharing your rockets and your photos.

--Lance.

Back