Epoxy Clay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely good stuff! Take account of the weight if you do fillets with it. It can move your CG to the rear and make a short rocket unstable. I have used it to anchor a threaded rod into a nosecone on several occasions.

Greg

What I use comes from Hobby Town and marketed under the name A-Poxy, it has worked great on fillets for MPR, so far, and other handy uses, but it seems a bit finicky about plastics. Overall, I find that the clay fillets aren't as smooth as epoxy fillets but the difference isn't that noticeable.

Glad that's what you use.
It's funny how Hobby Shops will add a sticker, that says Hobby or something and all of sudden it's goes up in price by 25%.

Also if you use alcohol you can smooth it a lot easier.

Same thing with boats...
Marine = Break Out Another Thousand

Originally posted by Pem Tech
That's the stuff!
And much cheaper than the hobby store...

Thanks for the link....

I've got some milliput superfine white that seems to work ok. Haven't tried it for fillets yet.

Originally posted by CQBArms

Also if you use alcohol you can smooth it a lot easier.

Will rubbing alcohol work? I recently bought a large can of denatured alcohol which, to my great despair, is mostly ethanol. ETOH is a substance I would rather not deal with, if I don't have to.

I used to swear by the stuff that Apogee Components sells. Now, I'm not so sure.

After time and trials and filights - I've found that surface adhesion is sub-par *at best*. Wood glue fillets are better in most (of my) applications.

Your mileage may vary, and good luck.

To answer your question, Pem Tech, Rubbing Alcohol works fine. I put some in a small container like a medicine bottle and dip the finger of choice into it, always having a paper towel handy to wipe off after each 'wipe'.

Originally posted by rocketking
To answer your question, Pem Tech, Rubbing Alcohol works fine. I put some in a small container like a medicine bottle and dip the finger of choice into it, always having a paper towel handy to wipe off after each 'wipe'.

Thanks!
Would have tried it before asking but I am away from my workbench.
Dang day job....

And you can call me Layne....
:D

LaneKG is right, if used for fin fillets make sure you take into account the weight addition - especially on a short rocket like a BSD Diablo. Trust me, I learned the hard way as I watched my 4in Diablo do loops due to tail weight. Quick fix was to add nose weight and it flew successfully the second time for my level 1 flight (yes, I know I should have checked the CG/CP - another lesson learned the hard way).

I've used this stuff a lot in woordworking and now have used it on rockets... especially my build of the USS Enterprise.

My one big concern is weight. It is somewhat heavy.

Karl

Back