Upscale Deuces Wild Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, that's it for tonight, tomorrow I will lay down some fillets of West and collodial silica to reinforce those fins (only held on by CA and dabs of 5 min epoxy right now). Then, there will be 2 layers of tip to tip reinforcement - one of 5.8oz carbon, one of 5.7oz S-glass. It may sound overkill, but these are BIG fins, and this thing could push mach. I don't want any chance of a shred.

Current weight of the booster is 7lb 9oz.

Originally posted by cjl
John - it's also significantly farther along :)

The fins are about to get tacked on (as soon as I'm done with this), the coupler is curing right now, complete with balloon, and as you can see, the MMT's are fully cemented in.

As for a central 98mm, no I will not consider it. This is already pushing mach and over 8k on a pair of 2560 loads, and I'm not too confident about those fins and high speeds...

Not to mention it's a deuce :)
A deuce only has 2 motors :)

A pair of 54's will be plenty though, as it is coming in WELL under my original estimate of 25lbs, unless something happens.

I would call it 1/2 to 2/3 of the way done, though we'll have to see about how well it comes together. I'm hoping to have it completely done other than cosmetic work by next Saturday. Also, a lot of the work was in the CFing of the tubes, which was done several weeks back.

With any luck, it will be finished in plenty of time, though it may have to fly naked and ugly.

Chris,
Just going on my own experience--and am including the finish work of filling/priming which can be more than the actual construction.
Also, I never said a 98. That was your own notion. ;)
I think a 75/54 could add significant party options is all, you got the space, why not at least reserve it for potential future use. :cool:
JS
PS: IIRC the colloid does not add strength, but sure you'll get those flappers on tight, irrespective of the fillets.

Originally posted by cjl
OK, that's it for tonight, tomorrow I will lay down some fillets of West and collodial silica to reinforce those fins (only held on by CA and dabs of 5 min epoxy right now). Then, there will be 2 layers of tip to tip reinforcement - one of 5.8oz carbon, one of 5.7oz S-glass. It may sound overkill, but these are BIG fins, and this thing could push mach. I don't want any chance of a shred.

Current weight of the booster is 7lb 9oz.

I'll give it to ya dude, you can't half build a good rocket! :cool:

Looks like the build is coming on perfectly and those fins are absolutely stunning, not to mention then nosecone!

Those fins are beautiful! :) and I love the comparison with the Diminutive Deuce LOL

What contrast!

And you're right, a Deuce is a deuce for a reason :) two motors!

jim

Jflis, CJL

Guys, I get the reference ("deuce" part) but the diminutive deuce has no option of a third, here we do! A wilder duece is what I still vote for!

JS

That would make it a "Deuce and a Half".
happy8km.gif

That's funny if you were ever in the military, otherwise you probably don't get it.

John - I believe you're correct that it does not add strength, but the silica also does not reduce strength. It will certainly make it stronger than it is currently, with only the 5 min. epoxy. The tip to tip will be the real reinforcement anyways (and no, it won't get a third motor, not even 18mm :)). I will say though that if you're including the work of finishing, it is perhaps 1/2 way done if that right now, as finishing will be a job on this rocket...

Jim - that was kind of the point of using the DD. Amazing contrast there between the huge deuce and the little dinky one :).

Tonight it will get test fitted to see how big it will look assembled, as well as to get a better estimate of the final weight. If it comes out at under 20lbs, I'll be happy (and it should easily do that). Also, tonight the electronics bay will get some final touches, and it should be just about finished. After tonight, all that will really be left is the tip to tip, which should only take a day or 2, and then it will be done :D

Originally posted by 11Bravo
That would make it a "Deuce and a Half".
happy8km.gif

That's funny if you were ever in the military, otherwise you probably don't get it.

I get it. :D ('course I live, eat, breath military too)

Here's the test fit - everything's in and in the final config except for the fins (they need t2t and fillets). Weight is 20lb 2.5oz, meaning the final weight shouldn't be much above that :D

Big, isn't it :D

Very nice! Should look great in paint and looks pretty good already. What will be your technique for getting both those motors lit at the same time?

Tim

E-matches and a friend's home brew pyrogen, as well as sanding the grains and using blue thunder :)

And if all else fails, it should be stable on one motor :)

I don't want to test that theory out though...

Fin fillets are curing now, and then tomorrow is the T2T

The end is near :D

Originally posted by cjl
I don't want to test that theory out though...

Nope you probably don't want to do that, not unless you *have* to! ;)

Sounds like your ignition technique is hotter than hell itself, I'm sure it won't have a problem lighting two motors simuntaneously.

note: by using blue thunder, I'm not using slivers of it. Just using the whole motor's worth of it ;)

It will light :)

if they don't I sooooooooooooooooooooo call taking the deuce to repair it ;) I got dibs!! I don't care how many miles apart ;) :p

looks GREAT!!!

thanx, Ben

If built correctly, this rocket is very stable if only one motor lights. I have seen it twice on 2 different upscales - Rocket Junkies is the biggest I have seen.

There are videos of it flying on the Tripoli SC Website...

Yeah - his was part of the inspiration for my project :)

Mine is a little bigger (1/2" larger diameter) and a LOT heavier. I can only hope it flies as well as his does...

Man thats a funky looking yet lovely beast--I kidded chris that if it does run into trouble, the fins could be made into fire flappers.

I'm sure there are many other potential uses. But I'm betting on a great flight. Altho 50, I might be able to take the kid, and his next big project doesn't involve staging or airstarts, he will pay for it. I mean if you're gonna be a brilliant aerospace engineer and help design the next generation of rockets, a llittle personal experience in that area might be useful.
John S

OK, the first section of tip to tip is done, and it actually ended up with a better than 50% fiber:resin ratio (not bad for a hand layup). I used 133g of epoxy for 160g of cloth (yes, that's one fin span).

Here was the CF bottom layer layed into place:

And fully wet out (I know it isn't much different from the last pic...)

Working out the bubbles after the fiberglass layer was set down:

glass_tip_to_tip_1.jpg

And pretty much finished for this side (there isn't really a bubble on the left side there - not sure why it looks that way):

It's definitely the largest rocket I've built yet, not to mention the biggest Deuce I've seen (or heard of).

This wouldn't happen to also be your first cluster, would it??

When Carl did his '38 Special upscale Deuce and he was preping it at NARAM he was **really** concentrating on the prep. I mean REALLY concentrating...

I didn't want to disturb him but I had to ask "Carl, you ok? what's up?"

He responded "nothing. Just that this is my first HPR cluster"...

oh man... LOL

And he did great, much to the delight of everyone there too!

Well, I've clustered AP before, but only 18mm (in my smaller deuce, as it were :D)

So this is my first HPR cluster too :D

Thanks a lot David.

The next tip to tip is on now - no pic because it looks EXACTLY like the last. Only 2 more to go :D

With how the weight is looking now, sims are saying 4350 feet for the first flight, and it should get there in a hurry, with a peak velocity of 415mph and a peak acceleration of 19.5 gees. Should be a great flight.

Sorry for ADDing if you've said this before... what's your first flight combo planned to be?

Just be sure you don't rip the fins off with too much BT before you can bring it to LDRS next year...!

Looks great so far Chris.

2 J800T's

Fast, but not excessive for a 22 or 23 pound rocket :D

Latest posts

Back