Upscale Deuces Wild Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by jflis
Keep us posted! Can't wait to see this one come together. (i was just thinking yesterday that there should be another update on this build... :) thanx!)

No problem :)

It would have been updated a while back, other than a slight mixup that resulted in the epoxy and some other supplies being initially shipped to the wrong location (luckily, CST has great customer service, and worked it out very quickly). Now, everything is here though, and I can't wait to CF the tube and get the build going :)

The tubes are now covered in cf, pics to come as soon as my dad is off the upstairs computer later today...

What's the planned first launch date for this one?

Paint. Lots of cool choices, especially with such a big rocket.
Ever seen anything done in pastel colors, e.g. mint and pink?
papaya and sky blue? light yellow and lavender?

Just brainstorming there. I suppose something more traditional
like contrasting primary colors is safer. However, I think Dr. Sue
(roadkill) has the coolest dual canted rocket paint jobs on the planet.

Geof

Oktoberfest, on 2 J800T's :)

You should see it :)

As for colors?
I'm really not sure. I may go with the traditional Deuce yellow + blue, but we'll see.

Here's the first tube with the CF (this one is 30" long):

Here's tube 2 finished (36")

Right now, they're both sitting in the garage curing. I used Pro-set epoxy for this, the 125 resin and the 229 hardener (80 min. pot life)

Next step will be the motor mount, as soon as this riodiculously slow epoxy has cured...

OK, here is the motor mount test fitted in the booster section (the other tube is sitting in the garage right now). This shows the scale of this thing. It's starting to look like a deuce :D

It should look great with a pair of 6 foot blue flames :D

WOW!! those MMT's are REALLY long. I think you almost overdid it. I would of moved them down an 1" so it looks more "scale", other than that is looks AWESOME!!

thanx, Ben

LDRS 26, I'll look for you there. Looks great so far. A couple of skids should be really nice.

Originally posted by ben
WOW!! those MMT's are REALLY long. I think you almost overdid it. I would of moved them down an 1" so it looks more "scale", other than that is looks AWESOME!!

thanx, Ben

The reason for that is because of two things:

1) I wanted them to be long enough for 2 AT 2560 cases
2)I didn't want them to stick way out the back

So, it ended up the way that you see it here :D

Also note that the fins will extend another 2" past where the motor mount tubes stop being visible (go into the body), so once they are on, it will look more scale.

Kelltym88 - I'll look for you there too. It should be one heck of a show with a pair of skids :D

For the skids is it gona be a pair of K555SK's or a pair of K1000SK's. Anyways it'll be an awesome flight. I should be at LDRS 26.

555's
1000's (unfortunately) do not fit, otherwise I would use them. The MMT is only 22" long (sized for the AT 2560 case max). Should still be a great flight though - sims to about 4500 feet (if it comes out as heavy as expected, and it may actually come out light).

Here's the fin pattern layed out (those will be some MASSIVE fins):

Here's the chute. The drogue chute that is. It's a 36" Tac-1

Here's the electronics sled along with the battery. It will be held in with 4 zip ties, each with a breaking load of 18lbs. The battery itself only weighs 5oz, so it would take in the range of 200G+ to break it loose (not going to happen here). Also, I did not want to use a 9V on this rocket, so instead, I got a 7.2V matched pack made from GP1100 cells. It should be more reliable, higher current, higher voltage under load, and overall a better choice (heavier though). The mounting holes drilled will be for 2 Missile Works RRC2X 25K altimeters, although it can also take an ARTS for one of them (same mounting pattern).

Here's one :)

Altimeters mounted in the alt bay. If all goes well on the first flight at Oktoberfest, one of these may be replaced by an ARTS for LDRS (just so I can have some flight data).

Oh - and holy cow, this is a roomy e-bay :)

OK, the MMT is in, and it's all looking good :D

Here it is, complete with fiberglass strips along the joint for reinforcement and to smooth out the appearance :)

You can also see the Aeropack retainers on the motor mount tubes, and currently, it is lighter than expected. The booster section is 4lb 13.0oz, and the next step will be to install the fins :D

Guys,

I got a chance to check in with Chris and eyeball the progress--as luck would have it the fins had just been cut and many of the newer goodies were on hand. First a little background, Chris and I are near neighbors, fellow club members, friends, and who knows possible classmates at the ages of 17 and 50.

Altho I support just about any hpr project, if you'll forgive the pun, I looked a little askance at this particular one. Well after getting to look it over, fondle the parts, and ask about what happens if.... (after all I'm loaning a 200 $ flight computer to the effort--which is basically just logging data and need it back within the hour for my own effort), I like the rocket, a lot. The 3/8 inch GLR honeycomb is impressively light and rigid so the massive fins weigh about 10 oz apiece (un-covered), the nose cone is a feather, and the chute unbelievable--weighs maybe 1/2 of my soccer ball 11 footer yet can carry twice the weight.(?!)

IME the rocket is 1/4 built. Maybe a third. He has 13 days to complete it. Lets all help best we can.

John S

One thing I forgot, and thats this. I poked and prodded but absolutely unable to convince Chris to consider a central motor. I have the new 75 -1280 AT beer can case, and chris agrees even a 98 1 grainer would fit--now why the heck wouldn't you want to fill that space with a mmt. May never use it, but along the lines of similar arguments, why use a strict 29 or 38 when a 38 or 54 will do. It just adds such cool options, as in airstarting the outboards, airstarting the inboards, etc, why not? I'll cut the cr's. donate the mmt--come on folk, lets put a little heat on the man. This would truly be a dueces WILD project.
JS

OMG do another 54MMT so you can airstart a K555 :D

thanx, Ben

John - it's also significantly farther along :)

The fins are about to get tacked on (as soon as I'm done with this), the coupler is curing right now, complete with balloon, and as you can see, the MMT's are fully cemented in.

As for a central 98mm, no I will not consider it. This is already pushing mach and over 8k on a pair of 2560 loads, and I'm not too confident about those fins and high speeds...

Not to mention it's a deuce :)
A deuce only has 2 motors :)

A pair of 54's will be plenty though, as it is coming in WELL under my original estimate of 25lbs, unless something happens.

I would call it 1/2 to 2/3 of the way done, though we'll have to see about how well it comes together. I'm hoping to have it completely done other than cosmetic work by next Saturday. Also, a lot of the work was in the CFing of the tubes, which was done several weeks back.

With any luck, it will be finished in plenty of time, though it may have to fly naked and ugly.

Here's the first fin tacked on (this thing is HUGE):

And here is another view of the booster section in its current state:

This is a Diminutive Deuce to give some idea of scale :)

Back