PML Patriot 1/4 scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highrolla7

Reaction score
Well, finally finished my PML Patriot 1/4. Will be my L2 bird. I really liked the looks of the Estes Patriot, so that is what it is based on. The yellow (payload) area is set up for altmeter to be used in the future (not to that point yet, but when I am, this rocket is ready). This was a fun build and very rewarding to see it finished.

Here is a post that really helped me out: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23327&highlight=patriot+thread

I recommend this kit, not sure about flying yet, but hopefully be flying it tommorrow morning- 7/8/06. Possibly even for the my L2. Thanks for looking!!

Looks great :)

Hope it flies well - I have seen many patriots, and they fly beautifully on J350's (though I saw one once that was a little to determined to have a scale like flight). Good luck to you :)

Good luck, thats one sweet looking rocket. Did you build it stock, or make any modifications to it besides setting the yellow are up for a future altimeter?

well, she flew today! Got my L2 using a Pro 38 on a J285 reload with a 12 second delay. what a flight, it scooted pretty good. Guessing around 3,000 feet or so, but need to sim it still. Landed nicely in a short bean field. As for the rocket, only minor scrapes, nothing major and most not noticable.

I will be using an altimeter sometime in the future, its built with a e-bay in the yellow payload section. I just upgraded the shock cord today before the flight, other than that, just normal things like motor rentention, quick-links everywhere. Weighs around 5.25 lbs (a good guess).

Oh, and for the flight I used my Binder Stealth Jr 'chute, which is much smaller than the one that came with the Patriot by PML. There was a pretty good breeze today and the corn here in Iowa is pretty tall.

All in all, couldnt ask for a better flight! T.J.

Sounds great, and nice pic :)

Congrats on the L2 :)

congrats and about how far are you from Dunlap? I can't remeber if Waterloo is onthe Eastern or Western side. I have SOME relatives (grandparents 11 cousings 6 aunts 5 uncles :p ) in Dunlap, Ames, and Eagle Grove Some in Omaha too. I am from there, Man I wish I was stilll there now that I do rockets. Maybewe could meet up next year and I could see one of you launches.

thanx, Ben

Im quite a ways a way from Dunlap. Waterloo is more on the eastern side. We launch at Walcott, which is right next to Davenport (by the self proclaimed "Worlds Largest Truckstop"). Welcome to watch us though. Lots of good people and Tim from Wildman Rocketry is the vendor and always willing to help out. Great place for an L1!!

does anybody know where to get the rocksim engine file for a pro 38 J285-15A with a 12 sec delay.

thanks for the link. From what I can tell, the rocket went approx 4700 feet @ almost 600 mph. Thats what Im coming up with. Very impressive!! The only thing is Im not exactly sure on weight. It says 4.429 lbs, might be closer to 5, havent really weighed it yet. But, I have to be close.

Hey T.J. Congrats on the L-2!!!!!
That's the same motor I did my L-2 with last fall at MWP3 in my Jayhawk. Too bad I could'nt make it down this weekend to see your flight....I bet it was a good one.:cool:

yeah, thanks man! I remember your orange bird last MWP. that was one sweet rocket. That motor is a great motor- good burn and talk about no prep, no clean up.... it was a great day!

Originally posted by highrolla7
Im quite a ways a way from Dunlap. Waterloo is more on the eastern side. We launch at Walcott, which is right next to Davenport (by the self proclaimed "Worlds Largest Truckstop"). Welcome to watch us though. Lots of good people and Tim from Wildman Rocketry is the vendor and always willing to help out. Great place for an L1!!

man what a drive fomr Dunlap!! ;) Maybe if I got to LDRS and drive north and around back to VA to visit my grandparents I could stop by :)

thanx, Ben

Congrats, sounds like an awesome, and high flight!
About the weight, my Patriot weighs 4 pounds, 5 ounces. It has a forged eyebolt, u-bolt, 1500 pound swivel, and three quicklinks...So yours shouldn't be too far from that, I dont think it weighs anywhere near 5 pounds...

snip....I remember your orange bird last MWP. that was one sweet rocket....snip

I remember his foreigh exchange student. :D
Gotta be 18 by now.

oh yes, the exchange student! How could I forget. Leave it to you bravo to remember.... too funny!! :D

I will refrain from comments about bravo's memory (after certain events at ldrs)

OK, enough joking :)

4700 feet at 600mph is pretty nice :)
Sounds like a great L2 flight :)

When do you fly the J570?
;)

Originally posted by outasight13
Congrats, sounds like an awesome, and high flight!
About the weight, my Patriot weighs 4 pounds, 5 ounces. It has a forged eyebolt, u-bolt, 1500 pound swivel, and three quicklinks...So yours shouldn't be too far from that, I dont think it weighs anywhere near 5 pounds...

Okay, I used 3 quicklinks, have one big u bolt, and a e-bay for future electronics (which is the yellow payload part), which probaly adds a little more weight. But yeah, Im probaly right around yours then.

I did fly it with a smaller chute too, but that wouldnt affect the weight too much. I should break down and purchase a nice scale!!

The actual height might have been more like 4400ft @ 550mph, still impressive.

as for the J570?? Well, I just purchased the Animal Motor Works 38/640 case with 2 reloads, J440 blue baboon, and I315 skidmark(gotta love those skids!!) Those will be the next 2 flights for sure. After that, who knows. Big things for sure!!

I315's are definitely fun.

I put one in my PML amraam-3 recently, and it screamed.

A couple things:

1) The I315 skid includes a fiber washer that is not mentioned in the instructions. This goes inside the motor between the nozzle and the bottom grain.

2) The I315 skid is the hardest reload that I have EVER had the pleasure of cleaning. It is a royal pain. It is also well worth it.

3) The I315 has no liner. This is how it is supposed to be. No, AMW did not make a mistake. Yes, this is very bizarre.

Overall, great motor, and a really fun flight :)

Originally posted by 11Bravo
I remember his foreigh exchange student. :D
Gotta be 18 by now.

Oh, yeah. Wow.

Congrats., TJ. Nice flight and recovery. That rocket is light - everyone that picked it up commented on that. You did a nice job building and finishing it.

Yesterday was one of the best rocket days I've had in a long time. Just one flight for me but I had the best time helping you and that other guy that certed, hanging out with some of the greatest people I know and just soaking in the rocketry-sphere.

I had so much fun I drove back there today to do it again. Not as many people today (close) but there were some really good flights. Tim the Wildman flew one of those new 4" M Skids from AMW. I can't remember the designation right now but it was - Amazing.

You guys are too funny:D

Sorry but Jana allready went back home to Slovakia and won't be 18 till next April. Infact she called me today to say that she's bored out of her mind. I sent her this picture the other day and asked if she remembered this from last fall's MWP.

Went home already?
Drats.
Wonder if I'm too old to be a foreign exchange student in Europe?

And that pic looks doctored. :D

Originally posted by BHP
Oh, yeah. Wow.

Congrats., TJ. Nice flight and recovery. That rocket is light - everyone that picked it up commented on that. You did a nice job building and finishing it.

Yesterday was one of the best rocket days I've had in a long time. Just one flight for me but I had the best time helping you and that other guy that certed, hanging out with some of the greatest people I know and just soaking in the rocketry-sphere.

I had so much fun I drove back there today to do it again. Not as many people today (close) but there were some really good flights. Tim the Wildman flew one of those new 4" M Skids from AMW. I can't remember the designation right now but it was - Amazing.

that amw flight that Tim launched would be cool to see. He is always going above and beyond. Im glad I ask you about what would be a good motor for L2. I did ask him earlier, but did his little snicker and said, I'll line you up with something... I knew right there that it wasnt good- big time walking and high corn is fun, but for my L2, wanted a nice flight that would be easy to recover. The actual height of this flight was much higher than I thought, but landed perfect. It was a great day! My dad is saying he is interested in going to MWP 4 this october. I might have my own "piggy bank" now to support the addiction to AP. Sweet!

Nice photo, Marty. She is a pretty girl. A head turner.

TJ - I was surprised myself at how high and fast your rocket went into that beautiful blue Iowa sky. And glad it landed away from the evil sea of green corn.

Your dad is a pretty cool guy - I'll bet we can get him hooked. Bring him to MWP4 and we will.

Congatulations on the level 2 TJ. Sorry I missed it. Sounds like a great flight and a great day of flying. Nice job on the build too. Got the electronics bay all ready, huh? Ahh, the world of electronics and long prep times awaits.

yeah, Im not quite "ready" yet for electronics. but in the near future, i can see coming. Now, what to do for MWP 4?????

jcgask- oh, I will forward a video of it to you. My dad was video taping and forgot to not zoom in- long story, anyway, you will get the idea.

BHP- my dad is talking about going with me to MWP4. I told him thats where you see the crazy launches. Should be pretty cool!!

BHP- my dad is talking about going with me to MWP4. I told him thats where you see the crazy launches. Should be pretty cool!!

And the hot chicks - Jcgask's wife, Marty's exchange student - you gonna bring Brooke along?

I've tried to "drag" her out and she said she would go, but not all day. So, you know how that goes, "I cant guarantee it wont be all day"- with the intentions of staying the whole day. THat is the last thing I need at a launch, the girlfriend ragging on me to go and Im in the middle of prepping my brand spanking new 38 skid!! (of course it wouldnt be all that bad, buy until she insists on going, Im not forcing her). Besides, BHP, do YOU need anymore distractions?? I would like to see a successful flight soon from you!! :D :D :D

Just don't forget the fiber washer...

As I said, it is mentioned nowhere in the instructions, but goes between the nozzle and the bottom grain.

Also, if you are using motor ejection, drill the delay. It comes as a 20 second delay, which is too long for just about any rocket.

Back