Rocket Racing League

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket Racers

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I found this site recently and thought it would be a perfect place to get feedback (ideas, opinions, etc) and find others that have the same interests. I work for a company called the Rocket Racing League. Here's a quote from the website,

"The Rocket Racing League™ is an aerospace sports and entertainment organization that combines the competition of racing with the excitement of rocketry. The RRL was established by X-Prize founder Peter Diamandis and two-time Indianapolis 500 champion team partner Granger Whitelaw to advance the technology and increase public awareness of space travel. The NASCAR-style racing league features rocket-powered aircraft that will be flown by top pilots through a 'three-dimensional track way' at venues throughout the world."

I'd really like to know peoples' opinons on the RRL; whatever they may be. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask- I will be on here often. You can check out the website: Rocket Racing League Website
or the Myspace profile:
MySpace Profile
or the store:
RRL Store

I don't want you to assume this is an ad- I want feedback and a fun discussion if anyone is willing to offer. Hope to talk to all of you soon.

I read about this in Popular Science Magazine, IIRC. I think it's a very cool concept and would watch and probably become a fan.

One thing that I see as a bit of a hurdle to overcome is that people can't relate as readily or as easily to these pilots and what they do as they can to racing cars. Everyone has experience in cars and can appreciate a bit more easily what those drivers and teams do. Piloting a race-plane is a bit tougher to get a grasp on for most people, I'd think.

But I'll certainly watch!

First off, thanks for replying and being interested. The Popular Science magazine did a great job with that article.

We definitely agree with you that one of our biggest challenges is to have fans relate to our pilots. Most of us don't walk out and fly our planes to work. Knowing this is one of our biggest hurdles, we are putting special attention to the matter.

Do you plan on attending the XPrize Cup (Las Cruces, NM) in October this year? We will be having our first exhibition flight there. The first racing season will be next year!

Originally posted by Rocket Racers
Do you plan on attending the XPrize Cup (Las Cruces, NM) in October this year? We will be having our first exhibition flight there. The first racing season will be next year!

Unfortunately, no. My parole officer won't let me leave the county.

Just kidding. Other than local rocket launches my travel plans for the year are done with the exception of, ironically, one NASCAR race.

Come-on TRFers. What do you think of this Rocket Racing League?

yea i saw this on TV it's pretty awesome. great concept, rockets+racing :D

I think it's an awesome idea, and if I was anywhere near NM, I would definetly go. I would like to see a DVD of your flights for sale, that would really help get word out about you guys, too. It is hard to relate to, I agree, but then, so are the blue angels, and thousands flock to see them each year! I think Rocket Racers have found a unique niche to fill, and I hope you guys will be around for years to come. BTW, come to the East Coast so I can see one of your shows! ;) :cool:

Looks awesome! :D I would love to fly one! ;) Hehehe. Hopefully I can come see you guys fly sometime. Personally I would much rather go watch rocket planes fly then watch cars drive, Its a great idea!

Originally posted by TeenRocketNerd
I would like to see a DVD of your flights for sale, that would really help get word out about you guys, too.

That is def possible. If anyone wants a <b>free</b> DVD, please send your name and mailing address to:

<b>[email protected]</b>

We're also on Myspace. If you'd like to join us there, or join the group we started, go here:
<b>Myspace Profile</b>

Once the race season starts next year, we'll have 4 venues around the US that we will race at. The semi-finals will always be held in Reno, NV during the National Championship Air Races and Air Show and the finals in Las Cruces, NM at XPrize Cup. So we will hopefully be coming to a city near you!

:(
This isn't what rocket motors are ment to do.
Every rocket flight goes up with the understanding that it could explode at any point.
I read the article but I don't remember if they planned on a mono propellant (H2O2), a hypergolic or an ignitable bi-propellant.
I hope it's hydrogen peroxide over a catalyst bed.
Red Fuming Nitric Acid is a possible componite in a hypergolic motor, doesn't sound like much fun to be around.
I hope they didn't choose a liquid fueled like a LOX/anything. A non-ignition leaves behind a glob of unburnt fuel/liquid oxygen that has the explosive power
of 100x it's weight in TNT. And you know a pilot would hit that igniter button again...

Another question I have is does the combustion chamber for the motor stick out past the control surfaces?

If the plan is to launch these rocket racers and use the fuel to gain altitude and race down in a high speed glide then the mission profile isn't much different from WW 2 and the Me 163 Komit except the pilots won't be trying to shoot down B-24's.:rolleyes:

update: I went to the web sight.

Good Luck on their venture and God Speed to the pilots.

I was fortunate enough to see the Rutan rocket powered Long-EZ that flew at Oshkosh a few years back that was a precursor of sorts to Spaceship One. The racing league vehicles seem strikingly similar. A very interesting concept that I would love to see come to fruition.

Best of luck!

-Eric-

Originally posted by ECayemberg
I was fortunate enough to see the Rutan rocket powered Long-EZ that flew at Oshkosh a few years back that was a precursor of sorts to Spaceship One. The racing league vehicles seem strikingly similar.

You are correct. We're having XCOR design our X-Racer... which is a modified plane just like the one you're refering to. We also have Velocity building an airframe for the plane. Most tech questions can be answered on XCOR's page. XCOR Website However, if you don't find (or don't have time to search) for the answers you need, we have answers that we can attend to in e-mails.

We're in the process of starting a fan club; maybe a few age appropriate clubs. If you have any ideas or thoughts on this matter, please let us know.

Make sure you keep checking back because I will post when contests are up and updates our coming. If you haven't signed up for the newsletter on our site yet, make sure to do that because it will be mailed soon.

Thanks again,

Communications

Rocket Racing League

[email protected]

PS- Those of you that sent your info for a free DVD, the DVD are in the mail and on their way. Enjoy! :)

This looks really interesting. I am definitely game for checking it out. I won't be anywhere near NM in October but if you ever get anything on TV - let us TRFer's know!

-DAllen

I doubt that I'll ever have the opportunity to attend a race, but I'm very interested in the concept. You might think about having someone involved in this offer to do a presentation at an upcoming NARCON, and I don't see why the major rocketry magazines wouldn't be interested in running an article on the technical aspects.

If you want to build a fan base centered around recognizable pilots, send 'em to major launches to mingle with the flyers there.

It looks really great :) I was wonderring though if there is any low to the ground parts of the course. Low altidude flight can be quite safe but thrilling to watch especially with a rocket. Good luck with it.
Cheers
Fred

It will fizzle just like NauseASCAR. Restrictor plates (nozzles), single file "hotwheels racing" and yellow flag finishes. :eek:

Pod racing. Now there's an event.

Originally posted by by basher
It will fizzle just like NauseASCAR. Restrictor plates (nozzles), single file "hotwheels racing" and yellow flag finishes. :eek:

I couldn't care less about NASCAR, but if rocket racing were 1/1000th as popular I'm sure they'd be ecstatic, and busier than they'd ever imagined.

Originally posted by by basher

Pod racing. Now there's an event.

Fizzle like NASCAR? Dude, I live in N. Carolina and just moved from Florida. It's anything BUT fizzle in either state. I don't personally care for NASCAR, but fans are everywhere you go around here. To some extent, it's more popular than the NFL. Additionally, most any if not all NASCAR events are always sold out.

Rocket Racing might be the closest thing to pod racing. I'm all for it. I just hope there is enough fan base to sustain the league.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Fizzle like NASCAR? Dude, I live in N. Carolina and just moved from Florida. It's anything BUT fizzle in either state. I don't personally care for NASCAR, but fans are everywhere you go around here. To some extent, it's more popular than the NFL. Additionally, most any if not all NASCAR events are always sold out.

Rocket Racing might be the closest thing to pod racing. I'm all for it. I just hope there is enough fan base to sustain the league.

I think that in any meaningful sense, NASCAR is more popular than the NFL. Whatever they're doing to get fans, they're doing it right.

What the heck is "pod racing"?

Pods3z.jpg

Originally posted by Rocket Racers
I'd really like to know peoples' opinons on the RRL; whatever they may be.
I guess, being totally honest, that I just don't get it.

I'm curious why this would be more popular than other forms of airplane racing which, frankly, aren't all that popular. Is it the rocketry angle that's supposed to be the draw? As I understand it the rockets will only be used part time to boost the planes to altitude and they'll then glide down through the course, then reboost. So lots of time will be spent in unpowered flight?

Unlimited Class air racers hit 500 mph with propeller-driven WWII fighters.

So why use rockets to go way slower?

Sorry, but I just don't get it. :confused:

Originally posted by Gus
So why use rockets to go way slower? Sorry, but I just don't get it. :confused:

We definitely understand and we've been confronted with this question a few times. You do have it correct that the planes will have boost periods and glide periods during the race. The reason for the speed being what it is, is the design of the plane. The planes being used are an existing airframe design which has it's own limitations. The racers may not being going 500 mph, but the pilots have many challenges and obstacles in the air that they are going to have to overcome. These obstacles will be able to be viewed on the hand-held devices at the races, on the Jumbotrons and on a TV.

As far as the courses go, they will be different at each venue. The set-up of each course is more of a rollercoaster design then traditional race track. There will be some dips, turns, dives, etc.

If you would like more information on this subject, let us know.

Our focus is on safety and entertainment. We are doing everything in our power to make the races exciting because if they're not, we lose.

Courtney
Communications
Rocket Racing League
[email protected]

Hi Rocket,

I'm with Gus on this one... I get the concept of the race, but not the concept of racing these things.

What happens if there is a misfire when 'in the back stretch' Will they have to 'put down / dead stick' land anywhere?

Will the races be limited to the US? Both in locations & pilots? or can it be international?

Skeptical, but optimisitc on this! It does look / sound pretty cool.

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
Will the races be limited to the US? Both in locations & pilots? or can it be international?

In 2007 the races will be held at 4 US venues and then in 2008 we hope to have at least 2 international venue locations added to our list. Each year after that the venue list will keep growing and spanning the globe. As for teams, it is open to the world now. The RRL would love to have an international team on our list.

I thought I should also mention that after our first round of planes are made and used, the next generation of planes will need to be made. The teams will be allowed to design and build their own planes. If any of you are interested or have the experience, you should start looking into the teams and possibly working with them in the future. Just a little heads up.

Courtney
Communications
Rocket Racing League
[email protected]

Quick reminder and question:

Our quarterly newsletter is about to come out. Make sure you go to our homepage and enter your e-mail address to our newsletter list. This is the best way to have questions answered and receive up-to-date info. Go here: <A HREF="https://www.rocketracingleague.com">Sign up here!</A>

Also, does anyone plan on attending the Oshkosh airshow July 24-30 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin? I know this is a Rocketry Forum, but we are where the merger happens. If you do plan on attending, we will be there! We will be running our simulators, selling merch, having meet-and-greet times for pilots and fans, and running an awesome contest. Let us know if you'll be there.

Courtney
Communications
Rocket Racing Leauge

I will be there Saturday, the 29th. Living a little over an hour away is a real treat around Airventure time! See you there!

-Eric-

My DVD arrived today! Yep, they send them all the way to Australia. Nice cloth badge too, much appreciated.

Good luck with the venture, it looks great.

What a coincidence i got mine today also :D just got to think of what to do with my badge sew it to a parachute perhaps
Thanks RRL

Back