A funny thing happend on the way...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My son Joe had a cookout last night and invited the whole family out. We had a great time. While waiting for the food to cook everyone got to telling stories of the past week or so, since our last gathering.

Joe had this corker that really struck me as hillarious:

Joe works for a local landscape company. With the past rains we have had they have been forced to put in a *lot* of 12 hour days to catch up on the season, as well as pick up some additional workers.

One of the new(er) workers (been there a few weeks) was commenting to Joe that he was so good with landscape design work that if he ever lost his future professional job that he could easily fall back on landscape as a good job.

Joe considered this and responded, "naw, I'd probably just go to work for my dad making rockets"...

This kid asked "Rockets?! What do you mean rockets?" Joe explained that I owned a rocket company. The kids response was along the lines of "Your dad owns a rocket company!!? What, does he build rockets and sell them and stuff?

Joe explains, "no, he designs and puts together KITS and sells them to hobbiest"

Finally the kid asks "Oh, that is SO cool! what's the name of his company?"

Joe tells him "FlisKits"

The kid jumps up "Dude! I've bought rockets from them! THAT'S YOUR DAD!?"

LOL

I guess he never really looked at any of the addressing information as he had no clue that FlisKits was located about 2 miles from his home in Merrimack... and he never put the connection of Joe's last name together with the company. What a hoot.

He even went on to ask Joe if he could get him a spent 24mm motor casing as he didn't have one to build the Richter Recker with.

LOL

Great story, Jim. Those kinds of stories let you (or anyone) know you've made your mark in the world.

That new kid sounds like a good employee - respectful, kind, complementary and the most obvious and importantly - a rocketeer!

He oughta be put in for Employee of the Year!

Jim, now that's when you know that you're making a difference in people's lives!

I think most of us here on TRF know it, but you're an inspiration to many. Now you can see how far your reach is . . . Great job!

Originally posted by akpilot
Jim, now that's when you know that you're making a difference in people's lives!

I think most of us here on TRF know it, but you're an inspiration to many. Now you can see how far your reach is . . . Great job!

Wow...that story gave *me* goosebumps! That is really exciting stuff Jim.

Having been around since the day that the odd-but-really cool rocket with the canted motor mount was first introduced to TRF, I can truly say that I'm proud of you Jim! I hope to one day leave the rat race and do something that I love. And if it made a difference, then it would be that much more worthwhile.

well *thank* you :)

it *is* a good feeling. A weird one too...

What's really great is when I can do things like sign someones Deuce (Maggie...) only to have *her's* put a neat mark on mine during a drag race and then get to see the look on her face when I ask *her* to sign MY Deuce's Wild!

Now THAT was priceless! :)

Rofl! Thats hilarious, i was actually on th verge of laughing...aka smiling that time. =)

I've had a number of "OMG, you KNOW that guy?" moments. So, Jim, you're still turning heads half a country away. :)

Back