Ldrs Reports ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
OK

wheres the LDRS news ? Picture? anything?

or do we have to wait and buy the video!

:)

lets see some pictures!

I leave in a few hours, I'll try to upload some pictures from the field tomorrow.

There were quite a few nice flights today. Met troj and cjl.

I found the Warp 9 motors interesting... Especially that 98mm K :D

Saw one of 'em cato, one of 'em was really trucking.

No pictures, sorry, I don't have any image editing programs on this stupid mac and I can't install anything. Everything I have is too big for upload.

I'm fairly sure that was a shred, not a cato...

Not positive though...

Originally posted by k3td
There was a Level 3 Cert flightby Jim Jarvis on Friday morning that went to 35K and Mach 2.5 - THAT was impressive ...

No kidding, that N4000 really screamed

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by k3td
There was a Level 3 Cert flightby Jim Jarvis on Friday morning that went to 35K and Mach 2.5 - THAT was impressive ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No kidding, that N4000 really screamed

Have you got any photos Chris ?

Wow...

Today had LOTS of great flights.

I stuck a D21 in a Quest Genesis 2000 rtf piece of crud, hoping to lose it, but sure enough it teleported off the pad and came right back down under streamer. The Brits flew several rockets, including one hybrid (as far as I heard) and a skidmark drag race-I assume that was Marcus and hatter flying?

Let's see if this Mac has an image resizing program... Actually, no, I don't have many good photos... sorry.

Since I won't be flying tomorrow, I'll get a bunch.

Originally posted by BlueNinja
cato, one of 'em was really trucking.

No pictures, sorry, I don't have any image editing programs on this stupid mac

mmmmm, iPhoto? graphic converter?

Originally posted by SARocketMan
Have you got any photos Chris ?

No - sorry. We had just arrived when it went up.

One memorable [and scary] flight...

Yesterday morning there was a N2000W to a M1315W two stager expected to reach 33k. It took off slow, got to maybe ~700-800 feet, turned almost completely horizontal, then shot off parallel to the flight line in cruise-missile mode, impacting the adjacent field at a few hundred miles per hour. The electronics survived the crash, and lit the M1315 on the ground, so the sustainer did a few low-level loops before settling down and starting a small fire. The Wayside Fire Department got out to the field quick and put it out.

I took a bunch of pics/videos, I'll post a few of the good ones.

One of the Brits (not sure which, they all look the same to me :p ) did his L1 Friday afternoon.
Well, tried his L1.
Lifted off.
Boosted very nicely....
Arched over.
Arched very nicely....
Then came in ballistic.
Came in ballistic very nicely... :eek:
I'm assuming he didn't get it anyway; I guess if there was no damage... :D
Oh well, you'll have that from time to time.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
One of the Brits (not sure which, they all look the same to me :p ) did his L1 Friday afternoon.
Well, tried his L1.
Lifted off.
Boosted very nicely....
Arched over.
Arched very nicely....
Then came in ballistic.
Came in ballistic very nicely... :eek:
I'm assuming he didn't get it anyway; I guess if there was no damage... :D
Oh well, you'll have that from time to time.

That would have been Bruce.

Mike 8-{>

...... The Brits flew several rockets, including one hybrid (as far as I heard) and a skidmark drag race-I assume that was Marcus and hatter flying?.....

As Dan said Hatter = Marcus. Perhaps you meant Hatter / Marcus and BFO/Cath?

Mike 8-{>

I'll throw in a story; Pete, you've seen this.

One of the coolest flyers was this little girl from Michigan named Jessie; red hair, two front teeth missing, cowboy boots up to her knees, freckles to beat the band, and seven years old.
She was there with her grandpa and was a launching fool; she got 4 launches in on Thursday and at least 5 on Friday; she thought she was ahead of everybody else.
She could fill out her own flight cards, pack the streamer, (grandpa helped if there was a chute) and even load the engine and put the thing on the "peg".
She'd watch the whole flight and just about have to be restrained until the range opened up to go get it.
She told me all about dogbarf and that it wasn't really dogbarf but once her dog ate some plastic and barfed it up. :D
Quite the little cutie and fun to watch.

Originally posted by cydermaster
Marcus and Hatter are the same person ;) (a long-haired-goth-type)

Um, oh. Sorry.

Duh.

Hatter doesn't have a beard, does he?

I'm fairly sure bfo wasn't involved in that particular drag race ;)

Originally posted by Pyro Pro
One memorable [and scary] flight...

Yesterday morning there was a N2000W to a M1315W two stager expected to reach 33k. It took off slow, got to maybe ~700-800 feet, turned almost completely horizontal, then shot off parallel to the flight line in cruise-missile mode, impacting the adjacent field at a few hundred miles per hour. The electronics survived the crash, and lit the M1315 on the ground, so the sustainer did a few low-level loops before settling down and starting a small fire. The Wayside Fire Department got out to the field quick and put it out.

I took a bunch of pics/videos, I'll post a few of the good ones.

There was also the 2 stager on Saturday on the M2500GG booster that did the power prang...

Impressive (and scary)...

Originally posted by cjl
There was also the 2 stager on Saturday on the M2500GG booster that did the power prang...

Impressive (and scary)...

That would be Jim Parker's Duck Hunter. The bright green flame was flashing about like a light sabre and the force was not with him.

Bill

Um, oh. Sorry.

Duh.

Hatter doesn't have a beard, does he?

I'm fairly sure bfo wasn't involved in that particular drag race ;)

You are correct I had nothing to do with that other than watch Bruces Flight. As someone previously said Bruce's rocket spacked on the Friday, but due to tough construction he managed to recover enough of the fincan to shove a new nosecone on it and got for L1 again on Sunday, he got his L1 on the AMW 38mm skidmark then went off passed his L2 exam and flew the rocket again on an AMW 38mm Blue Baboon, unfortunately this rocket wasn't seen again after burnout, we have heard reports that someone saw something in the sky heading towards the Canyon, but theres snakes down there so we decided against a trip down there to see if we can find it, but if it's returned in good condition today then he gets his L2, otherwise he'll go for it again sometime in the UK.

The other Brit rocket on a skidmark was hatters on his toblerone shaped rocket called tft (he won't tell anyone what it stands for) It also had a really good flight.

I flew scrabble on a Sky Ripper motor which i was given from Scott Miller of Miller Motor Works and finally we all flew Pink Peril yesterday on 3 K550's unfortunately 1 didn't light, but the rocket still had a nice flight and recovered safely and with 1 hour of onboard video which was edited by Bruce last night and is currently uploading.

it will eventually be at :

https://bfo.org.uk/skrabble/pinkperil_LDRS25.mpg

UPDATE: Video NOW Avaliable

Right I better go phone the rest of the brits now so we can head off to site today, most folks left yesterday to get home in time for work, but we'll stay to the end ;)

Cath

Originally posted by Bill
That would be Jim Parker's Duck Hunter. The bright green flame was flashing about like a light sabre and the force was not with him.
This was caused by a CATO. I don't think I've ever seen a motor case more distorted. It was really torn up and wickedly deformed. But Jim was in good spirits thankfully.

Doug

Pretty sure you're wrong about that.

It looked like the motor worked perfectly on that, but the rocket was unstable. When it slammed into the ground at about 400mph under full thrust, the case ruptured from the impact and made a nice fireball, but the impact caused the cato, not the other way around.

Originally posted by cjl
Pretty sure you're wrong about that.

It looked like the motor worked perfectly on that, but the rocket was unstable. When it slammed into the ground at about 400mph under full thrust, the case ruptured from the impactr and made a nice fireball, but the impact caused the cato, not the other way around.
I could well be. I didn't ask Jim about the order of events; I just assumed it was a cato. I wasn't paying close attention to the flight, but I thought this one never got that high. I may be confusing it with another one that let go on or not far above the pad.

Doug

Did anyone do a 98mm K warp 9 motor or is this a motor to come out soon ?

Some did.

That motor is absurd - phenomenal power.

Originally posted by doug_man_sams
This was caused by a CATO. I don't think I've ever seen a motor case more distorted. It was really torn up and wickedly deformed. But Jim was in good spirits thankfully.

Not true. I have a photo sequence which shows the stage coupler buckling, the upper stage leaning to one side which finally tipped the booster over. I'll try to post some in the next couple of days (I have never posted pictures on TRF before.)

Bill

Originally posted by SARocketMan
Did anyone do a 98mm K warp 9 motor or is this a motor to come out soon ?

Nathan Dalrymple from NM flew the single-grain 98mm K1299(?) in his scratch-built 6-inch "Merlin" rocket for a mortar shot flight.

-John DeMar

I posted a large number of LDRS-25 photos on the Amarillo Globe News website. Go to Spotted.Amarillo.com (you may have to register, but there is no fee, and there hasn't been any spam or problems).

Click on the LDRS-25 "galleries" at the bottom of the page if they are still listed. If not, click on "Photographers Directory" at the bottom of the page. Then on the 2nd page of photographyers, click on "WildSkiesPhotography".

These are free to download, although they are fairly low resolution on this particular website. If you want higher-quality, let me know the one(s) you want (describe by day and the subject), and I'll send you a higher resolution copy.

Tom Jones
[email protected]

Originally posted by bfo
The other Brit rocket on a skidmark was hatters on his toblerone shaped rocket called tft (he won't tell anyone what it stands for) It also had a really good flight.

I flew scrabble on a Sky Ripper motor which i was given from Scott Miller of Miller Motor Works and finally we all flew Pink Peril yesterday on 3 K550's unfortunately 1 didn't light, but the rocket still had a nice flight and recovered safely and with 1 hour of onboard video which was edited by Bruce last night and is currently uploading.
Cath

Here is a picture of hatters tft on the I315 at ignition.
Photo Courtesy of Matt Jones

Back