Using a model aircraft kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
I'm curious... I've always wanted to take a model aircraft and turn it into a launchable, recoverable model rocket. Has anyone done that successfully? Maybe like a large scale F16, or perhaps an F15 Eagle? I want to do this, and would like to hear some stories from those who have attempted.

A plastic model? Yes. Search here for "plastic model conversion" or some such thing. I've got one submitted to EMRR, probably appearing on the next update.

See this thread, for starters
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1366

Here's my 2x13mm cluster plastic Stiletto. It's not a real clean finish, but its fun to fly.
G

stiletto.JPG

Originally posted by geof
A plastic model? Yes. Search here for "plastic model conversion" or some such thing. I've got one submitted to EMRR, probably appearing on the next update.

Here's my 2x13mm cluster plastic Stiletto. It's not a real clean finish, but its fun to fly.
G

How does your recovery work?

and F15 eagle? Like this? The process is called PMC Plastic Model Conversion. IT's a blast but you have to do the calculations and cardboard cutouts to ensure your PMC's are airworthy before every attempting to fly them at a publicly attended launch. Safety First! Test fly your PMC's in ISOLATION either as a boiler plate unpainted model or conpleted before allowing them to be flown in public.

Heres what I ment by you need to do the cals and cardboard cutouts to find the cp/cg locations to make your models stable and safe. This is a very easy one. Dual motor jets are a lot tougher to get right, Please start with a couple single motor models before attempting at clustered PMC;)

Originally posted by Starfire73
How does your recovery work?

LOL. Well, I made a small mylar chute from a camping "space blanket". However, since I opted to put the pilot in the cockpit, the chute was crammed in too tight to work well. I switched to a wholly insufficient streamer and now rely on "tumble" recovery. The model seems pretty sturdy and has been undamaged after removing it from its impact crater. To soften the blow, I can allow the motors to eject at apogee if desired, though I don't really like to do this because it seems like littering.

A better system would have been to put a tube inside the plane, omit the pilot, and use standard methods. I see now that some of the good PMC links on this and other matters have been included below. However, the pilot was just too fun to discard.

G

G:
Most folks split the X-3 just behind the cockpit attaching a BT-50 or Egged out BT-50 and custom balsa nose block attached to the nose section, Still don't leave a heck of a lot of room forward of the twin 13mm motor tubes for wadding and a chute but usually enough for a 12 -15 incher, you can still use the pilot:D Sorry no pics, my X3 model ended up it a Huge Oak on it's "test" flight:( I'll do another someday.
I usually like to keep as much of the cockpit detailing as I can even on Micro models. Ya get extra points if the detailing can be seen;)

Originally posted by Micromeister
Heres what I ment by you need to do the cals and cardboard cutouts to find the cp/cg locations to make your models stable and safe. This is a very easy one. Dual motor jets are a lot tougher to get right, Please start with a couple single motor models before attempting at clustered PMC;)

John: What scale is that X-15 PMC of yours? I just bought a 1:72 scale Revell X-15 and have intentions of doing a conversion.

Originally posted by rosko_racer
John: What scale is that X-15 PMC of yours? I just bought a 1:72 scale Revell X-15 and have intentions of doing a conversion.

Rosko_racer:
Actually I have 4 different scale X-15 PMC's. the one above is a Heller 130th scale Micro-Maxx powered model. I have the Monogram #5908 1/72 X15-A2 that I'll bet is the model you just bought as a Revell re-Release. I also have the Revell 1/64th #H-164 kit that flys on 18mm motors, and Special Hobbies 1/48th X15-A2 that is set up for D12 motors.

109-sm_x-15 a2 rocketplane 72nd pmc_08-12-91.jpg

Originally posted by Micromeister
Rosko_racer:
Actually I have 4 different scale X-15 PMC's. the one above is a Heller 130th scale Micro-Maxx powered model. I have the Monogram #5908 1/72 X15-A2 that I'll bet is the model you just bought as a Revell re-Release. I also have the Revell 1/64th #H-164 kit that flys on 18mm motors, and Special Hobbies 1/48th X15-A2 that is set up for D12 motors.

You fly it with the landing gear still on?

Originally posted by rosko_racer
You fly it with the landing gear still on?

Sure do Raul:
One of the things that can add points to the models static score is Landing gear out, external stores..rockets, bombs, antenni, and of coarse cockpit detailing. Not a lot of those to add to an X15 so I used the wheel dolly as part of the model. Actually a hole drilled in part of the crossmember and a small wire loop serve as the launch lugs for this model.
Most jets are loaded with more rockets and bombs than a real vehicle of the same type could actually leave the runway with:D But they sure look Oh so Kewl leaping off the pad:D Like this 1/65th scale Revell F-100c, Wheels out, detailed cockpit and Stores,stores and more stores:D This model has logged 9 flights with the temporary lose of one outboard Bullpub missile on landing. I think I missed the drop of MC solvent welding the forward end of the Hardpoint/rack joint. Quickly repaired without even damaging the paintjob.

Back