clustering MMX motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketkyle

Reaction score
I know there was a thread on this already, but...I can't find it. I know to take the ignitor out of it's plastic shell, but is there anything else I need to know? I have an interesting rocket I'm about to start on.

Thanks.

While taking the igniters out of the plastic plug is fine for most uses. I'd strongly suggest using selected estes solar igniters or better yet Quest pyrogen tipped Q2 igniters for your best chance of all the motor in the cluster lighting. As with clusters of any size motors I's also suggest using a relay ignition system and a 12V battery capable of delivering at least 2 amps per igniter for reliable cluster ignition. Micro models more very quickly off the pad, so instant ignition of all igniters is a bit more critical then on bigger models. While limiting the length of your clip whip to a maximum of 18" or so it's also helpful to place each lead in a loose coil to get the model a bit of "slack" to move a short distance before ripping the lead from the igniter.
Hope this helps a bit.
You might be able to see the Q2 igniters in this two motor wired close up.

If you go to and join the MicroMaxRocket yahoo group there is a good deal of info in the files section FAQ folder on clustering micros.

They are BP motors.

Pricey:
I just saw a TRF vendor talking about having Micro Maxx motors back in stock... I think it was BRS hobbies, Check the Vendors section.
You can always CALL quest customer service at 1-800-858-7302 they well be more then happy to sell you micro-Maxx motors. e-hobbies had mm-II motors #5663 last time I looked (admittedly ahwile ago - I bought several cases). Pratt hobbies is a Quest distributor that has suppled Micro motors in the past. If your fortunate enough to have a hobbylobby in your area you may still be able to find a Super Value Starter Set.SVSS pack on the shelf, that contains 50 motors.
HOPE this helps a little.

We (FlisKits) are getting there... we have MMX motors in stock but I have yet to receive the paper work to ship them...

Should be real soon though! :)

Originally posted by Micromeister
If your fortunate enough to have a hobbylobby in your area you may still be able to find a Super Value Starter Set.SVSS pack on the shelf, that contains 50 motors.

If anyone is within driving distance of Fort Worth, I can tell you where they have two SVSSs on the shelf.

But please don't ask me to ship them to you, I am *not* going to test my luck in prison for shipping BP.

instead of using micro igniters that i can barely see, how about using a pvc "spider" to ignite mmz clusters? anybody tried this route yet?

ROTFLMAO (at work!)

I can just see that, a PVC spider that is big enough to put the WHOLE ROCKET into one port.

Can you say "incinerated?"

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
instead of using micro igniters that i can barely see, how about using a pvc "spider" to ignite mmz clusters? anybody tried this route yet?

:D

I asked the question because I can't seem to get MMX clusters to light... I even tried flashpan, and it toasted the bottom of my rocket, but didn't even light the motors! The motors were covered in black char. These things are impossible!

I just can't imagine how you would design a spider that would work with MMX-sized nozzles.

You would need some hypodermic needle-sized tubing to point into those dinky nozzles. The powder pot could turn into a bomb pretty easily, I think, especially if any of the ignition tubes got clogged from combustion debris.

No thanks.

I have had 100% success with removing the igniters from the plastic and using toothpicks as igniter plugs...

I recently did a Semroc Triton/Fliskits 3 x MMX build. I used Quest Q2 igniters exclusively. In three test flight, I have had 8 motors light. 3 lit the first time, 2 the second time, and 3 the third time. I wouldn't waste my time with the small igniters that come with the MMX motors for clusters. I would go straight to the Q2s.

Also, make sure you have a 12 volt battery, not a 6 volt one.

Shockie:
I'm working with a spider for micros, it's fine as long as it's for that specific motor pattern, spacing. ect.
for you average 2,3, and 4 motor combinations it's easier to pick thru a few packs of Estes solar igniters to fine ones that fit the MMX-II nozzles or buy some of Quests new (but expensive) Q2's Pop the little glass beads with a pair of pliers and use as with any other BP motor. Like Cjl i've had 100% all motor ignitions on 2 to 5 micro motors using the old wad and tape method. Like this.

For some of the upcoming multi motor Scale models a PVC spider can and will make sense, for run of the mill micro clusters the other methods work just fine.

11-sm_8pic wadding ball install pg_03-26-06.jpg

Originally posted by powderburner
If anyone is within driving distance of Fort Worth, I can tell you where they have two SVSSs on the shelf.

But please don't ask me to ship them to you, I am *not* going to test my luck in prison for shipping BP.

The Hobby Lobby in Temple Texas usually has at least a couple of the SVSS boxes on the shelf.

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz

Tried it twice and failed. The first try was with little tiny brass tubes. Trying to line them up with the nozzles was tough. I think I got two of the four to light. The second try was with bigger tubes that fit over the entire motor. It didn't work any better. At that point I realized I had a much better success rate with individual igniters.

Originally posted by cjl
I have had 100% success with removing the igniters from the plastic and using toothpicks as igniter plugs...

Same here. I have also had 100% with UN-dipped (eg: no pyro) Q2 igniters...

Jim:
How many clusters of how many motors have you launched with the bare Q2's? Any special handleing needed other than to be sure the bridge wire is touching the propellant?
I picked up a bunch of the Bare Q2's but haven't used them for clusters yet.

When you say bare Q2's, do you mean there is more than 1 type of Q2? The ones I have used have a bit of black stuff on the end like Estes Solar igniters. I assume this is some kind of pyrogen.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Jim:
How many clusters of how many motors have you launched with the bare Q2's? Any special handleing needed other than to be sure the bridge wire is touching the propellant?
I picked up a bunch of the Bare Q2's but haven't used them for clusters yet.

I've launched my Diminutive Deuce 4-5 times with them with no failures and one 3-motor cluster without a failure, so i'm feeling pretty good about them.

As for the undipped Q2 igniters, once we get everything worked out with Quest I hope to be marketing them at FlisKits, so keep watch!

jim

I know someone in the UK is selling MicroMaxx stuff because one of the people at UKRA 2006 had a couple of models and some motors. I can't find any MicroMaxx models or motors in on-line stores, but look at Rockets And Things, note the phone number and e-mail address, and contact them directly - they may be able to help.

Originally posted by pricey
Micro I live in the UK

Ooops! guess I'd have known that if I'd looked at your title block...Sorry for not being more observant:( Glad to have you looking for micro motors anyway:D I'm not sure if BRS can ship to the UK but i've sent some to my son in italy, they were in a silo starter set...l but I stuffed a couple extra packs in the box Which when thru the regular mail no problem. I thought I'd get all kinds of grief from the postmaster, told him exactly what was in the box and showed them one of the models and motors. they didn't even use a haz-mat lable? go figure?
I'm sure Quest would ship them to you... Give the sevice desk a call 1-800-858-7302

Hope this helps.

I remind you, Pricey lives in the UK. ;)

That means phoning Quest on that number would be an expensive international phone call. It also means Pricey can't import motors personally without some legal paperwork. Much better to let a UK distributor do the work - that's what we pay them for. :)

Pricey, I know someone in the UK has been selling MicroMaxx models and motors because I've seen people flying them. I'm not sure who sells them now; they don't seem to be shown on any vendor's website. However, you could try Rockets And Things - get the e-mail address or phone number from the website and contact them directly. If they don't sell MicroMaxx motors themselves, they may know who does...

Back