Getting into aerotech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigander

Reaction score
I have been flying low-power estes for a while now and have now gone into scratchbuilding low-powers. I would like to get into aerotechs now and move to more mid-power rockets. i do fly estes e's but that is the highest i fly. Please give me suggestions

Originally posted by Bigander
I have been flying low-power estes for a while now and have now gone into scratchbuilding low-powers. I would like to get into aerotechs now and move to more mid-power rockets. i do fly estes e's but that is the highest i fly. Please give me suggestions
Do you want suggestions for Aerotech rockets, or any rocket for an Aerotech motor. Aerotech rockets are great, but they are unlike any other midpower rockets, so a lot of the building skills don't really transfer.

Aerotech Rocket: They pretty much all build the same. My favorite is the Arreaux, closely followed by the Initiator.

Any other rocket: Depends on what size motors you want to be able to fly it on and if you plan to expand into high power later. A LOC Graduator is a good first MPR rocket, however, it will go into orbit if you plan on using it for L1. Another good one is the Binder Design Stealth Junior. [Click Link]. BSD also has many nice kits. I would recommend starting with a Binder Design or BSD kit due to the fact that their instructions are much more in depth. The LOC kits come with minimal instructions.

Edit: Ahh, just saw you only fly Estes E's. I don't think I would put any of the rockets above, except some of the LOC ones, on an E.

If you're talking about getting bigger motors for your rockets with the Estes D and E mounts, get an Aerotech 24/40 RMS casing, and treat your bigger rockets to things like the E18 and F24!

If you're talking about getting into AT rockets, get the Strong Arm - a more detailed build than other AT kits.

Other good intro to mid power kits include the Public Missiles Amraam 2.1. Flies great on 29mm F and G loads, and can fly on H as well.

No matter what, get the 29mm/40-120 casing. This will handle more mid power loads (E-G) than any other casing, and is good in all AT rocket kits, and any rocket designed to fly on 29mm.

Bigander,

My first responce to you, is to join a club, and find a seasoned mentor to learn under.

2nd, is to buy the Rocketry handbook by H. Stine, and read it.

Learn & live the NAR safety code, as well as the HPR safety code.

Best to post Your location,
Then A TRF member could hook You up with a club,
Nothing better than launching a few of Your own, then spending the rest of the day watching other burn some money.

Nick

Reloadable = Age limit.
https://nar.org/NARmodeltypes.html

Another useful document:
https://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff/HPR_metric8.pdf

Originally posted by Loopy
If you're talking about getting bigger motors for your rockets with the Estes D and E mounts, get an Aerotech 24/40 RMS casing, and treat your bigger rockets to things like the E18 and F24!

If you're talking about getting into AT rockets, get the Strong Arm - a more detailed build than other AT kits.

Other good intro to mid power kits include the Public Missiles Amraam 2.1. Flies great on 29mm F and G loads, and can fly on H as well.

No matter what, get the 29mm/40-120 casing. This will handle more mid power loads (E-G) than any other casing, and is good in all AT rocket kits, and any rocket designed to fly on 29mm.

Stay away from Aerotech. They are fine, but way too expensive. Many other great E-G rockets out there for the money. The 29/40-120 is fine, but I do not like AT single use motors- they are expensive and they fail a lot (saw a few today). RoadRunner motors are basically the same as Aerotech but cheaper. Try Hangar11.com for motors.

Just last year, I went from a nice c motor estes style to launching my Stealth Jr with a nice H128 aerotech reload and got my L1. Its basically the same as estes stuff only build strong, and use motor retention. The intenet is full of ideas, pictures etc. I am using the learn as you build method. I have no idea how to use an altimeter at the moment, but building a PML Patriot 1/4 scale rocket and making an altimeter bay for future use. There is just a ton of info out there. I am going to try for my L2 this October with the Patriot on some J motor. Talk about a jump, went from C's to this October a J. Yes, I know this is more high power, but you will be building rockets and might as well learn all you can and practice on those for the biggies... get my drift. Most importantly though and the best thing I ever did, join a club and fly with other "rocketeers". You will catch on in no time. Good luck!!

Back