LOC shockcord mount question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
I am building a loc fantom exl and im a bit worried about the shock cord mount.Its the same looped string that works fine on the smaller rockets but im not sure about ther extra weight it will have to take for the larger rocket.Any body built one of these and should i upgrade to an eye bolt through the top center ring:)

Originally posted by arthur dent
I am building a loc fantom exl and im a bit worried about the shock cord mount.Its the same looped string that works fine on the smaller rockets but im not sure about ther extra weight it will have to take for the larger rocket.Any body built one of these and should i upgrade to an eye bolt through the top center ring:)

Hi Arthur,

On my LOC Phantoms, I recomend getting a screw eye at the hardware store that has a nut on it rather then the screw in types.

Get another nut and two washers. Put it in the top centering ring, tighten down and then put some expoxy on it.

Then use a small quick link from the same hardware store.

No need for forged eye bolts on rockets this small.

Have fun, I've flown mine to mach, no need for glass, and done all sort of things with My Phantom EXL.

Even a H999 bowling ball motor, and the Loki J528 Ball Buster.

43gs and 31gs respecfully on each.

I used the stock shock cord mount and it worked just fine :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the LOC Phantom is 4" in diameter and has a 38mm motor mount. So I recommend you get pick a u-bolt and use that to attach your shock cord put this on your top centering ring. Then get a quick link to attach your shock cord to the quick link. Also if your Phantom came with elastic shock cord may I suggest upgrading to 9/16" tubular nylon.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thinkt he LOC Phantom is 4" in diameter and has a 38mm motor mount. So I recommend you get pick a u-bolt ...

U-bolts too big ;)

just use a screw eye with a threaded type nut, more then enough to do the job.

'Been using them this way for years, even on the older LOC IV.

Originally posted by pricey
I used the stock shock cord mount and it worked just fine :)

is yours the standard or exl model? cos i dont fancy putting the weight of an ebay,alt,battery and payload bay packed with a chute on that small bit of string??

Originally posted by arthur dent
cheers:)

Don't forget,

use about 20 feet of 9/16 or 5/8 nylon for the recovery harness instead of the elastic since you got the ebay weight and stuff.

I found the 9/16 white stuff lasts about 3 flights while the 5/8 seems to last forever.

Back