Rocsim and booster motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
I don't think this has been covered here, so I'll give it a shot.

I'm using Rocsim 8 and I'm trying to design my first 2 stage rocket. Everything goes fine until I try to put the motors in and launch it. At that point, Rocsim says all the motors have to have a delay!?! I suppose I could put a motor with a delay in it just to satisfy the program, but that will be rather unrealistic - waiting three seconds before igniting the second motor (using A10-0/A10-3 combo) is NOT going to give an accurate simulation.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Greg

Is it coming up with an error message that says that? You should be able to set the booster motor to a -0 delay using the dropdown list for delays in the "Prepare to Launch" window. I just put together a two-stager, and it works when I do that. If you are trying "none" for the delay you need instead to select "0" from the list.

Now, having said that, I just went to look at the delays available for the A10T, and cryptically, my choice seems to be "all", "none", "3" and "100" (???). I noticed some other odd things, like stock BT-50 sized Estes cones that say they're made from hollow G10. Huh?

Anyway, for the motor issue, if you don't have a -0 delay, you'll have to go into the Engedit program that comes with Rocksim, load the Estes.rse file, select the A10T, and add a "0" to the list of available delays. Then save the file. If you're still in Rocksim, you'll need to reload the motor file (under "File"). Just click on reload, and when the list comes up, just click "OK". Then you should be able to select the -0 delay that you want.

Hope this helps.

It's simple. In the motor selection screen (the window with all the motor choices, not the rocket prep screen), you can manually type in any delay you want on any motor. Just type in 0.

Originally posted by cjl
It's simple. In the motor selection screen (the window with all the motor choices, not the rocket prep screen), you can manually type in any delay you want on any motor. Just type in 0.

Well how about that? I did not know that. Very nice. Still, I think it's worth putting the actual standard delays into the engine files.

You can if you want, but it can become a royal pain to type in a 0 on every single motor in rocksim for a staged HPR rocket :)

That's where it really comes in handy :)

Originally posted by cjl
You can if you want, but it can become a royal pain to type in a 0 on every single motor in rocksim for a staged HPR rocket :)

That's where it really comes in handy :)

Oof. Good point. Not having yet flown any staged HPR rockets, that would never have occured to me.

Dang, I'm never going to get any work done with all of these good ideas here.

Back