Rol 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah if you want to see the old Auctions you need to go to "ROL 1.0 Auctions"

What are your opinions on it guys i find it to be alright but you lose all of your feedback i also think it doesn't look as good. Isthere anyway to carry over your feedback. Also i have the first auction on rol 2.0. Now who's gonna have the first bid.

I have always used ROL for the motor/impulse information featuring downloadable pdf files. Now I can't seem to find this anywhere on the new site.

Is it me, or does it seem like there is less info on the new ROL?

Clive

Uhhh....

Judging by their own poll results, it looks like
the new design is going up like a lead balloon....

It's definitely more striking in the looks department, but
IMHO a step or two back in functionality. That small size and style of fonts makes it harder to read or quickly scan over for info....

But with a couple of tweaks to get the new kinks out of the system and improve readability it'll be very nice, I hope.

Originally posted by roadkill
Uhhh....

IMHO a step or two back in functionality. That small size and style of fonts makes it harder to read or quickly scan over for info....

But with a couple of tweaks to get the new kinks out of the system and improve readability it'll be very nice, I hope.

Personally I don't think it looks better, as a matter of fact I think
it looks really bad. Simple or plain looking. And the vendor list
does not even show up right now. One of the main points I
visit the site is to look for various suppliers.

William

I like it. I think it'll be great once a few things that were already mentioned are smoothed out.

I don't think it looks good at all. It is hard to navigate and there was nothing wrong with the old site that warranted the reformatting into a 2.0.

In short, it sucks.

I don't like it much either.

Don't fix what ain't broke!!

Jason

I got to give ROL 2.0 a big thumbs down!!!!!!! My question is why fix it if it ain't broken?

i think that rol should just go back to the old version it is miuch better the only new features look bad and don't conteract the things that bare now worse.

I concur with the majority that the old site should have been left alone. Another fine example of lets tinker with it till we break it. The loss of auction feedback for some will be upsetting Im sure. However there are new alternatives to auction off rocketry items. And after the lack of assistance to the postal inspector after the Jeff Jones fiasco..........well you know

New Auction site Hobbay.com

I actually kind of like it in that I think it has real potential. I used ROL mainly for the forums and technical content as well as finding vendors.

While their technical content and vendors area are not yet clear, the forum format is much bettern (imho) and I think the rest of it will come with time. It's new, it's different and most folks don't like change so I'm chauking a lot of the reaction up to that...

i would love to see reactions from folks visiting for the first time

only time will tell...

jim

I am pretty sure the original ROL was having some issues and lacked some needed things. Just give this one time and it will come around as well, its the same guy making both and he is good at what he does. Its nearly impossible to make a switch without problems.

--don't take anythign personal here, just a perspective--
Hobbay.com is a great idea but still needs work as well Mike... the banner ads all stretch the page except one and the privacy policy is just "We will never sell or distribute any of our customers information." When it comes to an auction site most would like to see an in depth policy as well as some sort of insurance of security. Also it is just a cookie cutter auction site that could be run by anyone and made by anyone... there is no info about who owns/runs/manages/ ect that site... for all anyone knows it could be Jeff Jones

I do think its a great idea with noble reasons, but hey E-bay didnt start by ripping people off either... it was once a great company. Im still shocked they havent contacted the powers that be of hobbay yet.... HOB-bay...
--

I wasnt impressed at first glaned with the "new" ROL but give it some time and it should come around...

QUOTE from countdown

there is no info about who owns/runs/manages/ ect that site... for all anyone knows it could be Jeff Jones

Mr Jones will be busy for a while from what I understand :)

Originally posted by UncMikesRktShk
QUOTE from countdown

there is no info about who owns/runs/manages/ ect that site... for all anyone knows it could be Jeff Jones

Mr Jones will be busy for a while from what I understand :)

Thats good to hear, was it the USPS at work or local police, or both?

Originally posted by cliveroonie
I have always used ROL for the motor/impulse information featuring downloadable pdf files. Now I can't seem to find this anywhere on the new site.

Is it me, or does it seem like there is less info on the new ROL?

Clive

It was actually an external link Clive. Here's the URL:

https://www.thrustcurve.org/

I knew it was an external link, but I always instinctively went to ROL to find it. Thanks for the url. I will now bookmark it for future reference.

Clive

Yep, the Tech Series is sorely missed. And where's Info Central?

The only thing that the old ROL needed was some updated content, and possibly a better format for the Forums. Otherwise it was great. It was a terrific resource for me when I was a new BAR, and I frequently went back for the tech series and infocentral.

Originally posted by Chilly
Yep, the Tech Series is sorely missed. And where's Info Central?

The only thing that the old ROL needed was some updated content, and possibly a better format for the Forums. Otherwise it was great. It was a terrific resource for me when I was a new BAR, and I frequently went back for the tech series and infocentral.

InfoCentral can be found here. This link is provided on the home page of the new ROL with the comment that InfoCentral will be eventually merged into ROL 2.0 (they're working at it :) )

Another problem that the original ROL had that I hope to see fixed (I haven't found a link for it yet) is the Vendor search. The original ROL vendor list was horrid. I am hoping that the new one will be searchable, indexed and broken up into more logical partitions...

Anyone who dislikes the new forum tool and prefers the old one must not think much of TRF either... :p LOL

jim

Originally posted by roadkill
Uhhh....

I wouldn't consider it striking at all. It is currently a run-of-the-mill implementation of a canned Content Management System, possibly PHP-Nuke or something like that. One can definitely do nifty things with a CMS system, but out of the box they can be pretty lame.

As you say, a few (actually a lot of) tweaks and it should be nice. But I wouldn't have put it out looking like it does. It's not up to McNeely's graphics standards.

Originally posted by Countdown Hobbies
I am pretty sure the original ROL was having some issues and lacked some needed things. Just give this one time and it will come around as well, its the same guy making both and he is good at what he does. Its nearly impossible to make a switch without problems.

Yea, the old ROL was probably still running on much of the code that Darrell Mobley wrote back in 1997!!! (at which time it was cutting edge) It probably did need a big overhaul. I just question the wisdom of dumping things into an out-of-the-box CMS and turning it loose. I did that with a couple of sites on DotNetNuke and got burned until I really learned how to manipulate it.

I don't like the look and feel of ROL 2 either.

The original site was fine. The problems during the last year appears to have simply been a lack of site maintenance.

The new interface is poor. Too much unused space, and the information windows are too small. I like the old color scheme much more than the new one.

Instead of simply fixing the technical problems with the old display format, the new keepers have changed just about everything, and in my opinion, not for the better.

Bob

ROL 2.0 wouldn't be bad, if they'd have carried over the data and links that we have grown used to using in ROL 1.0

Particularly the auctions.

Latest posts

Back