EZ up vs Quik Shade

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazzdevl1

Reaction score
The local Sports Authority has 10X10 Quik Shade canopies on sale for $69.99. Can anyone give any info on the difference between these and EZ up's? Other than price that is. Is this a good deal? Are they fairly easy to put up and store?

Cliff

I personally think the EZ up is better (easier). I didn't buy the one I have (gift from my wife) but I think you can find them for around $90-100.

Not familiar with quickshade but I purchased an ez-up for that same price($69 from harbour freight) and it truely is easy up(and down)!

This subject comes up from time to time around here (and, strangely, usually in the summer in the northern hemisphere).

Two of the better discussions of canopies can be found here and here.

What constitutes a "good deal" will depend on what size it is, which model (is it still being made and can you get spare parts for it) and what environment you are using it for (desert conditions almost require an aluminized model, made by Quikshade).

WW

One thing to look for...

is the it a true 10'x10'?

By that, I mean is the shade area 10'x10'. Sometimes the footprint is 10'x10', but the actual shade area is 8'x8'.
You can tell, but the legs. Do they go straight up and down or are they slanted when opened?

If it is a true 10x10, then that is a great deal. If it is 8x8, then it is an OK deal.

I looked on the sportsauthority website. It appears to be the 8x8 shade area.

I think both EZup and Quickshader are about the same in quality.
It is not a bad deal and if you fly rockets, you really need some shade.

Yeah Marty, It is 8x8 top and 10x10 bottom. I wanted to see what some of SEARS members are using. I have to make a trip close Sports Authority tomorrow. I may just go ahead a pick one up.

Cliff

We got one of the "10x10" (really 8x8) Quik Shade canopies last year, and it kept us alive in the searing Kansas sun on several occasions. Out of the box, the frame was somewhat loose, but a few turns of the included allen wrench got the frame in shape. It stood up to moderate winds (20-25mph ground level) just fine, as long as it was firmly staked down.

Pep-Boys also have these on sale frequently, which can shave another $10-20 off the retail price.

Our club members have a variety of canopies, EZ- Ups, QuckShades, and First Ups.

I myself have an EZ-Up Sierra, which is one of those 10 x 10’s that actually is close to an 8 x 8 (since they go by the leg footprint and the legs are angled). I got it for $50 as a fall close-out at Harbor Freight in 2004.

Two club members have a First Up 10 x 10 canopy, which is a true 10 x 10 (vertical legs). We usually help each other set up canopies, so I’ve had experience with a number of canopy types. The First Up is EASIER to put up than any of the others. When trying to lock the canopy, the last six inches or so is usually pretty tough to force up and lock. But it’s a lot easier with the First Up than others. Easier to take down too. Also, most other canopy designs have the pop-out locking pins on the inside of the leg, where it is possible for the locking pins to get stuck inside of the leg and not pop out. The First UP design has the locking pins as part of an external assembly, both for the top portion and for the leg extensions. That’s part of why they are easier to set up, and definitely why they are easier to take down.

Wal-Mart has them, currently for under $89.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4664265

If my EZ-Up Sierra goes bad, I’ll definitely replace it with a First Up.

In any case, always stake down your canopies. I like to hammer the stakes in at a sharp angle, nearly 45 degrees, which makes it harder for a stake to pull out than from pounding them in close to vertically. At a launch last summer, an EZ-Up which apparently was not stacked down properly tumbled end over end and into a spectator’s car, causing minor damage but it cost about $800 to fix it.

- George Gassaway

The biggest thing to watch for is the material the canopy itself is made of. You want the aluminized backing (silverish-grey on the underside of the canopy).

Why?

Because it makes a HUGE difference in how cool it is underneath. We learned that through experience.

Several years ago, we had my (dark green) Quik Shade setup at the local Air Show. Next to it was the club's EZ-Up (white). Logically, you would think the white top would reflect more light, and therefore it would feel cooler underneath it, than my dark green Quik Shade.

The opposite was true. VERY true.

Why? The Quik Shade has an aluminized backing, the EZ-Up does not. This meant that the Quik Shade blocked more light, plus the UV, making it much cooler to be under the Quik Shade.

You can buy EZ-Ups with the aluminized backing. Whatever you get, just make sure it has that -- it's worth paying more to get.

-Kevin

I myself have an EZ-Up Sierra, which is one of those 10 x 10’s that actually is close to an 8 x 8 (since they go by the leg footprint and the legs are angled). I got it for $50 as a fall close-out at Harbor Freight in 2004.

thats the same one I found at Harbour freight

I found a "Shade Tech" (?) canopy at Pep Boys today and after a $10 rebate it is only $40. It looks identical to an EZ-Up canopy, and it has aluminized fabric. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how good it is.

Edit: It is made by Quickshade.

Thanks for all your input.

I picked up the Quik Shade from Sports Authority yesterday. I got a blue one with the aluminized backing. Like I said above, it was on sale for 69 and change. What I didn't read on the sale ad was that FOUR folding chairs came with it FREE! What a deal!

Set it uo when I got home. Seems to be fairly sturdy and was quite easy for me to set up alone. Should be a snap to do with help. We'll see how it works out at the next launch.

Cliff

Originally posted by tazzdevl1
Thanks for all your input.

I picked up the Quik Shade from Sports Authority yesterday. I got a blue one with the aluminized backing. Like I said above, it was on sale for 69 and change. What I didn't read on the sale ad was that FOUR folding chairs came with it FREE! What a deal!

Set it uo when I got home. Seems to be fairly sturdy and was quite easy for me to set up alone. Should be a snap to do with help. We'll see how it works out at the next launch.

Cliff

I found that if you let one corner remain staked into the ground
you can easily setup or tear down either type by yourself. There
have been a few times when most people had left by the time I
got around to breaking mine down and had to do it by myself.

William

Originally posted by WillCarney

William

Great tip. Thanks

Cliff

Originally posted by George Gassaway
The First Up is EASIER to put up than any of the others...The First UP design has
the locking pins as part of an external assembly, both for the top portion and for the
leg extensions. That’s part of why they are easier to set up, and definitely why they
are easier to take down.

Wal-Mart has them, currently for under $89.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4664265

If my EZ-Up Sierra goes bad, I’ll definitely replace it with a First Up.
Based on George's recommendation and some comparative shopping, I went ahead
and bought a First-Up today. I've been watching for a canopy sale for sometime
now, so this thread came at a fortuitous time!

I did an initial setup in the front yard this evening. At dusk. By myself. Even though
the instructions say setup should be a two person job, it was just as easy as
some of the EZ-Ups and Quickshades I've wrestled with. Teardown was a snap
too- I left the canopy attached to the frame and it still folded easily and compactly
to fit back into the wheeled carry case.

In addition to the 'superior' locking mechanism, this model also has a peak vent.
This should help exhaust hot air instead of traping it under the canopy. An excellent
feature to have with our hot Florida sunshine! First field trials will be this weekend
at NEFAR!

While my wife was getting fitted for her wedding dress in March, I was looking in Sports authority for a canopy and they were having a 1/2 off sale. I was looking at one when my wife came in and bought the more expensive one that was $200 minus $100 for the sale. When we got to the register it rang up for $49.99 cant be that 75% off.

Mark

Originally posted by BigRedBee
But as far as I know, it's not for sale at this time??

troy says they will be back soon, but not as a full shade. more of a kit were you supply the e.m.t. and he supplies the rest. (corners, stakes, bungies, straps couplers etc.) because the price of emt changes day to day, and he cant keep his price competeative.. but its still the best sunshade almost on the market. my ez up lasted 5 uses and it was in such bad shape i threw it away. my shelter is two+ years old (20-30 launches plus use at work all the time) and other than the bungies wearing out (replacments were $4 for a bag of 25) its still like new.

so keep checking back to his website. and ill ask him this weekend.

The biggest thing to watch for is the material the canopy itself is made of. You want the aluminized backing (silverish-grey on the underside of the canopy).

Why?

Because it makes a HUGE difference in how cool it is underneath. We learned that through experience.

Several years ago, we had my (dark green) Quik Shade setup at the local Air Show. Next to it was the club's EZ-Up (white). Logically, you would think the white top would reflect more light, and therefore it would feel cooler underneath it, than my dark green Quik Shade.

The opposite was true. VERY true.

Why? The Quik Shade has an aluminized backing, the EZ-Up does not. This meant that the Quik Shade blocked more light, plus the UV, making it much cooler to be under the Quik Shade.

You can buy EZ-Ups with the aluminized backing. Whatever you get, just make sure it has that -- it's worth paying more to get.

-Kevin

I will Detest to that....
We purchased a 10x10 EZ-up back in 2007 and chose the white canopy instead of the blue, thinking this would allow our products to be more visible. Well, the canopy has held up wonderfully over the years and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. BUT! Definitely be sure the material has something akin to "Aluminex™ fabric, enhances shade while inhibiting sunlight". For the nine years I've had my EZ-up I have cursed the white canopy. In direct sunlight you feel like you are in an oven and will burn very quickly. Matter of fact I'm headed to the local Dick's to pickup a 10x10 EZ-up Envoy for NSL this weekend. It will have most certainly have a blue canopy with Aluminex™ fabric to enhance shade while inhibiting sunlight.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=63322546
And go with the straight leg models, purchasing a 10x10 canopy and only getting 8x8 coverage is outlandish.

Last edited:

William

Brilliant!!!

If you don't stake yours, you can do the same thing by hooking one leg of it to your bumper/hitch and walking the opposite leg away from the vehicle.

I spent about $150 on a store brand one at home depot or lowes a while back and got about ten launches out of it before one gust of wind while unattended snapped two legs and it started to somersault over my truck. Currently on the harbor freight 10x10 which cost about a third and will probably be just as weak, but I'll definitely use some rebar stakes if it might be windy.

Back