FlisKits ACME Spitfire... Steampunk-style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Can I post these on our site under the ACME page? I think it would be an incredible addition to that page!
Yes of course you can, Jim. I would be honored.

:surprised::surprised::surprised:
That's just not right... :point: No one should have that amount of talent!
Wow. I think I'll just quit finishing rockets... the bar has been set just too high!
:wave::clap::clap::clap:

Best rocket I have seen in a long time. Very impressive - my wife agrees! She asked me why my rockets don't look like that!

I love the creativity that is displayed on here. Thanks for sharing!

Please do post some information about how you made the detailing....

Lawrence....
If you are asking about the information about the detailing of the rocket itself, some can be found in the first few posts of this thread. If you see a detail that I didn't provide info on, just ask!

If you are asking about the weathering details, I used these two steps....

Step 1: I used some "rust" color Testors paint, painted on in blotchy random areas then partially wiped off with a paper towel.

Step 2: After the rust dried, I added the black grime. I just squirted some black LiquiTex acrylic paint onto a paper plate, dipped my fingers into it and just smeared it around. Then before it died, I again used a paper towel to lightly wipe most of it off, wiping in the direction from the top of the rocket to the bottom of the rocket. This stuff dries pretty fast, so I only did small sections at a time. For extra grimey areas, I just repeated until I got the look I wanted.

It isn't hard, but it is messy. It is difficult to keep consistant from one part to the next, but that just adds to the natural random look of corrosion and grime. It is easy to overdo it if you leave the black paint on too long since acrylic dries quickly, so be careful of that. Just experiment and have fun with it. Using different layers of colors (like greens, reds, browns) and even different watered-down consistancies can add a lot of depth to your corrosion, but I didn't go that far with this one.

The only problem I would have with that model is that I would never, ever, not even on my death bed, launch the thing.

Museums bid on stuff like that!!

Thanks! I do have a few rockets that will never fly (like ones autographed by Vern & Gleda Estes, or Homer Hickam), but I do like flying this one - specially on 24mm reloads that make lots of smoke.

I've never seen Steamboy, and unfortunatley I can't tell from the on-line trailer what device you are talking about, so it sounds like I need to get myself to a Redbox soon and check it out.

That is, without a doubt, the most awesome looking rocket I have ever seen. :jaw:

purty, purty :) Love it! We had several (standard kit and upscales) at LDRS and several kits at CMASS too.

WOW! :drool: I wasn't on here when tho thread was first posted, so I'm glad you updated it. You have some crazy talent and patience. Well done! :handshake::clap:
Maybe one day I'll be able to build rockets like that... :flyingpig::rolleyes:

That is, without a doubt, the most awesome looking rocket I have ever seen. :jaw:

I find it very hard ,not to agree with that comment .I`ve seen it before ,but always like to give it a good once over ,and absorb all those little details and the great weathering.

Paul T

Totally dig the steampunk finish! Well done!

Later!

--Coop

Unbelievable rocket. Beautiful work.

How is the Acme Spitfire as a rocket? What kind of elevation does it get?

Last edited:
Unbelievable rocket. Beautiful work.

How is the Acme Spitfire as a rocket? What kind of elevation does it get?

Thanks!! To be honest I have no idea about what altitude it gets, but it flies AMAZINGLY well!!! I have flown ACME Spitfires on anything from C-11's to E reloads. You need to get one and try it. I see you are in Reno - I was born and raised there.

First time I ever flew an ACME Spitfire it was at a NARAM. While standing in line at the RSO table, some young boy was just staring at it... I leaned down and whispered "I dropped it and then stepped on it. But I think I fixed her up pretty good. Don't you?"

Man the look HE shot me. LOL

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I flew this one again yesterday on an E18 White Lightning reload for another perfect flight. Unfortunately I used a different ignitor which seemed to take forever to light, and I ended up missing getting any liftoff photos.

Steam0001.JPG

Can someone let those of us that don't get the magazine in on the secret? I like the Spitfire and will be doing a build thread starting in a few weeks/days, although not a steam punk version, and I'm way curious what's up.

There is an article of significant length on building steampunk rockets. I've only had a chance to flip through it since it came but there are lots of impressive builds in the article. If you can find a copy it be worth picking up.

Thanks. I haven't been bitten by the Steampunk Bug yet, I thought maybe it was an article on the Spitfire or Fliskits or something like that.

I do really like looking at steampunk rockets and am VERY impressed by the talent that is required to create one. Maybe someday...

Back