FlisKits ACME Spitfire... Steampunk-style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this Acme at NARCON and can only say that the pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.

I was blown away by how great this looked in person.

I was in the middle of doing a scratch/Estes Alien Space Probe #2038 and got the 'mid-build blahs' and have left it on the bench. This amazing build gave me new ideas to try and make something creative and cool. I have no belief that it will turn out 1/10 as cool as this one, but it helped me with my motivation.

Jeff, you must trust Jim a bunch. If you had mailed that to just anyone, I'd bet you wouldn't get it back!!! Of course, Jim is a 100% stand-up guy, but I bet even he is thinking twice about shipping it back. :)

Thanks for posting this masterpiece!

Sandy.

I have to apologize to Tony in this regard...

I'm afraid that Jeff's ACME attracted as much, if not more attention than the two beautifully built Goddard rockets that Tony did for us (and the museum).

And, Jeff, I have to take you to task with regard to the letter you included with the rocket... Folks, Jeff had a DISCLAIMER in with the kit explaining to me that I need to be prepared for the "fact" that the steampunked ACME looks a lot better in the photo's than it does in real life...

Jeff, I don't know what rocket YOU were looking at, but dude... I must have picked this thing up a dozen times and every time I did I found a new fascinating detail that I hadn't seen before. It is beautiful. Truly so.

Here are a couple of pix I thought you'd enjoy
  • Group of folks admiring it (this was a common sight...)
  • Using it and Tony's ACME to emphasize a feature of our kits is to help bring out the imagination of our customers :)

DSC06401.jpeg

DSC06413.jpeg

I have to apologize to Tony in this regard...

I'm afraid that Jeff's ACME attracted as much, if not more attention than the two beautifully built Goddard rockets that Tony did for us (and the museum).
No problem Jim.
Jeff's Acme is very impressive. Made my Acme look pretty lame by comparison. :rolleyes:
The L-13 and Nell are totally different kinds of models. :)

Did you mean, Tony's Nell?
Jim is holding Jeff's and my Acme and Nell is to Jim's left (our right). ;)

No problem Jim.
Jeff's Acme is very impressive. Made my Acme look pretty lame by comparison. :rolleyes:
The L-13 and Nell are totally different kinds of models. :)

Jim is holding Jeff's and my Acme and Nell is to Jim's left (our right). ;)

Yer ACME is anything but lame... Remind me to show you my beige ACME for a true comparison LOL

Tony had provided his ACME, Borealis and D-Nelson Tomahawk in addition to the two Goddard rockets :)

I had some fun with a kid asking about the D-Nelson Tomahawk and I pointed to Dick sitting in his booth and said "do you know who HE is?" when he replied "no" I told him THAT is "D Nelson"... It took a moment for that to sink in :)

Thanks Jeff.

It's printed Avery label paper and the nose cone is printed 110 card stock.
There are some pictures and more info in this thread.

Tony.... I remember seeing pictures of yours somewhere before but I couldn't remember where, so thanks a ton for posting the link to that thread.

Did you wrap the entire shroud before you added fins, or are the wraps between the fins 4 separate pieces?

That is very cool and very inspirational! You did a tremendous job on it. Congratulations!!

I saw the Steampunk Spitfire at NARCON, too. What an original theme and beautifully done, too! With Tony's Nell and his L-13 on display along with the two Spitfires, Jim's table was the place to be! But I couldn't take my eyes off of that brass-colored Spitfire - what a tour de force! :clap:

MarkII

Tony.... I remember seeing pictures of yours somewhere before but I couldn't remember where, so thanks a ton for posting the link to that thread.

Did you wrap the entire shroud before you added fins, or are the wraps between the fins 4 separate pieces?

That is very cool and very inspirational! You did a tremendous job on it. Congratulations!!

Thanks again Jeff. :blush: :eek:

The shroud is a one piece printed 110 card stock.

So you printed the wood pattern right on the shroud?

I was hoping to get to launch this ACME Spitfire today.... but mother nature decided to let it rain instead:(.

So I hope to launch it next saturday on National Model Rocket Day.

Scrubbed for another week due to high winds. :(

Is there a gallery of ACME Spitfires anywhere? I think there should be a thread or place just for photos of that rocket. No competition or comments, just a gallery so people can look and be inspired to build their own Spitfire or use a technique on another rocket.

And I love the steampunk scheme. Very well done!

Last edited:
Is there a gallery of ACME Spitfires anywhere? I think there should be a thread or place just for photos of that rocket. No competition or comments, just a gallery so people can look and be inspired to build their own Spitfire or use a technique on another rocket.QUOTE]

Maybe there should be!

We had several threads in the old archive about the Deuce. Maybe we should start one here.

Something I never thought I'd be saying ;): that ACME Spitfire is beautiful.

I finally got to launch this rocket today. I flew it on an E11-3J reload. It wobbled a little tiny bit about halfway up, but other than that, it was a decent flight....

SF 1.JPG

SF 2.JPG

SF 3.JPG

SF 4.JPG

SF 5.jpg

Love that black smoke! Tony and I were talking about you today as he launched *his* ACME. Tony was wondering if you were actually going to fly it (at least I *think* that was Tony I had that conversation with... :) ) I assured him that you would...

...and you DID!

Latest posts

Back