G powered Geo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10fttall

Reaction score
I want to build a MPR rocket along the lines of the Geo Sat LV. (Not scale or even attempting it) I want it to have the same flight characteristics, fairly low and slow, on a G, as the Estes kit does on a C. I'm leaning toward using mailing tubes and cardboard shrouds, possibly halfing a styrofoam ball for the main nose cone.

I was thinking through the design and got to the launch lug/s. Does anyone have any suggestions about lugs for a configuration like this? I'd rather not make giant lug stand-off's, thus making one side of the rocket look terrible. Could I get away with lugs on one of the outboards or some other spot? Or does it have to be centered off the body to avoid rod whip?

have you considered rail buttons? You could conceivably space them out far enough, while not having one horrible looking lug and stand off, rather two small buttons. Just my 2 cents. I just got the original Geo Sat LV, love the looks of the kit. (haven't built it yet)

Why is it when I read the subject line, I thought of something like this-

Kind of like a plastic model conversion!:D

have you considered rail buttons? You could conceivably space them out far enough, while not having one horrible looking lug and stand off, rather two small buttons. Just my 2 cents. I just got the original Geo Sat LV, love the looks of the kit. (haven't built it yet)

Buttons might help, but I would have to get buttons, rail, and a launcher to hold the rail. I'd like to check out rails one day, but not right now. I've actually decided to use tubes closer in size, like 3" and 4". I was going to use 3" for the body and 5" for the payload section, but 5" tubes are not available locally. With the 4" payload section, the standoffs would not have to be all that large.

Back