big daddy slightly modified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian62

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted another big daddy since it was my 2rocket launched and the first eaten by the tree monsters all at the same time. therefore, since everybody been talking about this new DAddy capable of E motors ,I got one. All okay, I look at it and go...Man I got 2 f23-7 motors laying here... bingo a modified big daddy for 29mm. Took some work for me, comes with 2 cardboard centering rings24mm, I enlarged them. Then made 2 balsa 29mm centering rings just by trace and cutout, then glue to the cardboard rings to one side followed by construction paper glueing the other side. Cut down the fin base for the 29mm thru tube connection and rest of build is normal. Used mostly 5min epoxy since its very fast and might put a g at most in it another time if that goes well. F23 looking at 1450feet and g77R was something like 2200 rocksim. Just slapped some paint on it and will be launching in the AM SAT along with 5 or 6 other rockets I hope. Will get pics posted later after the flights.
Brian

Sounds cool, I hope you get some good pics!

Are you using the stock parachute and shock cord too?

thanks 10foot. Did not fly 'er. Forgot the dang motor at home for it! So flew other stuff. Yes, stock chute with the vent hole opened up since it will be higher than normal. Since I did not fly it I will change the rubber band contraption they call a shock cord to a decent length of regular shock cord.
When I fly it I will post
Brian

quote:
Originally posted by: Brian62

Brian
You know what this leads to don't you?
Severe "Big Daddy-itis"!!!! ;)

Good Luck :D

The F-Daddy was a good launch. Took a stutter step to the right and off it went, nice motor and smoke trail.
Needs a longer shock cord, wound up with a slight rebound ding it appears. anyway here is the take off pic.

Originally posted by Brian62
The F-Daddy was a good launch. Took a stutter step to the right and off it went, nice motor and smoke trail.
Needs a longer shock cord, wound up with a slight rebound ding it appears. anyway here is the take off pic.

Mine got a slight rebound ding on it the first time I flew it on an E18. Doubled the shock cord and seems to be fine now (second E18 flight, F24).

Glad you got this up and back! I was bummed I couldn't be there yesterday.

F23 looking at 1450feet and g77R was something like 2200 rocksim.
Brian

Cool flight pic!. I was just looking at this post the other day with the search function. I would like to modify a big daddy (29mm mmt and ply fins) to take an H motor; H97 to be exact (after I get L1 cert next year) If you still have the Rocksim file for yours, could you give me an altitude estimate for a Big Daddy on an H97? (Don't mean to hijack your thread) Thanks, Travis

AlrightyH97 looking at 3259'. The main issue is you will not be able to do a slightly modified stock. Motor is to the end of your tube so you will need to make a long Big Daddy to take it.
Mine went to roughly 1300' hard for me to judge but, it was good one so I say go for it! Heck I just blew up a 14footer so I can not say anything about experimentation!
Viper out

AlrightyH97 looking at 3259'. The main issue is you will not be able to do a slightly modified stock. Motor is to the end of your tube so you will need to make a long Big Daddy to take it.
Mine went to roughly 1300' hard for me to judge but, it was good one so I say go for it! Heck I just blew up a 14footer so I can not say anything about experimentation!
Viper out
\

Thanks for simming it, Brian. Actually, I plan to have the motor stick out 4-5" out the back, and then add nose weight to bring the CG back to stock location (or close anyway) So, with the nose weight added, that'll probly drop the alt. to a bit less than 3,000 feet. Hmmm maybe I'll build a stretch daddy, and a stock big daddy, one for altitude, and one just so I can say that it's stock and flies on an H... :D Thanks again

Very cool Brian62! I just bought the Big Daddy today and I'm working on getting it put together tonight, hopefully I can paint it tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!

will do, I took a good look at the nose cone and its gonna take some work to get it cleaned up, so it might take a little longer than I had hoped, but I think I can fix it pretty easily.

Motor is to the end of your tube so you will need to make a long Big Daddy to take it.

Not neccesarily. If you cut off the bottom of the nose cone, it makes for a wonderul place for your recovery gear. I epoxied an eye bolt along with 6 oz. of lead shot for nose weight in the tip of the nose cone. I flew my 38mm Big Daddy, on a Cesaroni H143 and used a PML 30" chute. Obviously, it's not stock, but the tube and nose cone are original.

Now that is some great stuff darrell! I am sure you went with some good centering rings and those rail buttons sure help it go straight ! nice idea of epoxing the wieght and shock attachment all in one move.
Brian

Originally posted by DOSmithII
Not neccesarily. If you cut off the bottom of the nose cone, it makes for a wonderul place for your recovery gear. I epoxied an eye bolt along with 6 oz. of lead shot for nose weight in the tip of the nose cone. I flew my 38mm Big Daddy, on a Cesaroni H143 and used a PML 30" chute. Obviously, it's not stock, but the tube and nose cone are original.

That's definetly my plan! I want to keep the big daddy length stock, and build the rest just like you have; capable of taking H's. Great pics, too! could I ask how long your Cessaroni case is? It doesn't look like it's sticking too far out of the aft end. The 29/240 case I plan to use (next year, after L1 cert) is ~9 1/2" just curious as to whether your case is longer/shorter/the same length. Also, how far does your case stick out of the aft end? Definetly some good ideas for me to "borrow" :D Thanks.

Now that is some great stuff darrell! I am sure you went with some good centering rings and those rail buttons sure help it go straight ! nice idea of epoxing the wieght and shock attachment all in one move.
Brian

Thanks Brian.

I used two 1/8" rings to form a 1/4" inch ring for both the forward and aft centering rings. The rail buttons are anchored into the centering rings.

I also would like to note that I drilled several 1/16" holes in the tip of the nose cone so that the epoxy would fill them and create a stronger bond. I then sanded them smooth on the outside for a clean finish.

And on the eyebolt, I used a couple of fender washers and nuts for additional grip.

Originally posted by TeenRocketNerd
Could I ask how long your Cessaroni case is? It doesn't look like it's sticking too far out of the aft end. The 29/240 case I plan to use (next year, after L1 cert) is ~9 1/2" just curious as to whether your case is longer/shorter/the same length. Also, how far does your case stick out of the aft end? Definetly some good ideas for me to "borrow" :D Thanks.

The Cesaroni 2 grain case is 6 7/5" long.

I like to have the rear closure be the thrust ring. I don't have the motors stick out any more than that.

I'll post some more pics with the casings in so you can get an idea how much they stick out of the front of the motor tube.

Thanks tonsfor the pictures, Darrell! They really helped me to see what things'll look like, and lead me to what should be my last questions: have you used your 29/240 case in your Big Daddy? If so, that will answer my next question: with a 29/240 case, is there enough room for the shock cord and parachute to fit into the only available space, the nose cone? (seems like it'd be darn tight) I can understand it works w/ your cessaroni case, being ~3" shorter than the case I would like to use, and I am just curious if the nose cone can house all the recovery gear w/ a longer case. Thanks!

Originally posted by TeenRocketNerd
Thanks tonsfor the pictures, Darrell! They really helped me to see what things'll look like, and lead me to what should be my last questions: have you used your 29/240 case in your Big Daddy? If so, that will answer my next question: with a 29/240 case, is there enough room for the shock cord and parachute to fit into the only available space, the nose cone? (seems like it'd be darn tight) I can understand it works w/ your cessaroni case, being ~3" shorter than the case I would like to use, and I am just curious if the nose cone can house all the recovery gear w/ a longer case. Thanks!

No, I have not used the 29/240, but I mocked it up and will attach the photo.

It is quite tight but it does fit. Keep in mind that I have about 15 feet of 9/16" tubular nylon, a 30" PML parachute, two D-rings, and three quick links all packed in there. I also wrap the parachute with Kevlar.

Glad I could be of some help.

Back