Heat Shrink Tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balsa Bob

Reaction score
I've used heat shrink tubing while glassing BTs 4" in diameter and smaller, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if shrink tubing in larger sizes (e.g., 5.5" and up) is available. If not, is the accepted procedure to use shrink wrap? Thanks for replying. -BB

Soller composites carries some big stuff, not sure if in the size you need but bet Jon Soller could get it. But pricey compared to tape,
JS

I called Soller and was told they're currently in the process of testing some large size heat shrink tubing. I offered to beta test :) to help him get this to market sooner, but it looks like we'll all have to wait until summer at the earliest for anything new.

I have a local plastic shop(https://www.fortcollinsplastics.com/) that also deals with about every aspect of cool stuff plastics and such we use. They cary Nomex cloth, carbon fiber cloth, Fiberglass cloths, in many different weaves and thicknesses. The normally cary it in rolls that are about 6 feet wide and they cut to length. They cary West systems and all sorts of fillers and great stuff in fact to much to list. But the one thing they carry is a roll of clear mylar that is about 6 ft wide cut to any length. I buy it and do my glass work and then wrap it in a single layer of the Mylar and then just using a compresion wrap from top to bottom of duct tape. Keeping it perfectly spiraled and just winding it down under lots of pressure. When dry. just unind it and it wont stick to the mylar and neither will the epoxy or the glass. perfect every time. Just my experince though.

Back