Rocket Scale Picture

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
When I was down at Florida, at the Cape, there was a display case that showed models of all the early rockets and different variants (e.g. Mercury, Gemini, Saturn, etc.). What was really neat was that it showed about 10-15 of them, side-by-side, in scale, in sequence, next to each other - giving you a great reference.

I took a picture, through the display case, but my wife hasn't gotten the pictures developed yet.

Does anyone know where these may be on-line to view?

Don't know if this will help or not AK
We did a 14 model display for the AIAA at the Maryland Science Center Museum in 2003 as part of the Centennial of Flight exhibit.
Goddards 1926 rocket to the Shuttle all at 1/70th scale. Heres a pic showing the Mercury Redstone, Mercury Atlas, Satrun-1 block1, Saturn-V and Shuttle end of the display. Sorry bout the resolution it's the only one I have with me:( Sure makes you think about the actual size of these birds, and the Hero's who rode in them.
Hope this helps a little.

It's still just amazing how big the Saturn V was. Another thing that reminds me of that is when they show the pics of the shuttle stack rolling out of the VAB, and seeing the doors are only open about halfway...Just unbelievable. I want to go back in time to see an Apollo launch...

Thanks Micromeister for posting your photo. How in the heck did you manage to find, or make, all of those in 1/70 scale?

Am still looking for a more complete photo though of everything.

AK

Originally posted by akpilot
When I was down at Florida, at the Cape, there was a display case that showed models of all the early rockets and different variants (e.g. Mercury, Gemini, Saturn, etc.). What was really neat was that it showed about 10-15 of them, side-by-side, in scale, in sequence, next to each other - giving you a great reference.

This one? https://klapperthal.com/ksc/ksc01070.jpg

More cool KSC pics from this guy [I have no idea who he is :)] https://klapperthal.com/ksc.htm

Brian, you're awesome!!!

That's the exact display I was talking about. It honestly looks as if it's from the same angle I took my own picture; I just don't have it developed yet.

So let's play the next game . . . name them, in order . . .

Let's see if I can do it.

Starting from the left...

Redstone missile
Jupiter Missile
Jupiter C Launch vehicle
Juno II
Mercury Redstone
Mercury Atlas
Gemini Titan
Saturn 1
Saturn 1 Block II
Saturn 1B
Saturn V

BTW I believe they are all 1/100th scale.:D

Very nice sandman!

I could do it starting at the Mercury Redstone, but the first three had me stumped.

So the question now is, (while I know that an obvious answer is to take the time and effort to create some of these). . .

. . . is there any manufacturer who produces ALL of these in the same scale; as noted by Micromeister 1:100, the KSC 1:70)?

On our recent trip with the SLI students to Marshall Space Flight Center they had this on room in building 4200....man whould I love to be left alone in there for a few hours!:rolleyes:

It was FULL of 1/100th scale models (all solid and fairly heavy) that all had a few broken parts from being handled.

Saturn 1's Block II's Saturn V's, Skylabs, Hubbles (the satelites weren't 1/100th scale)...but all kinds of broken toys!

The room also had a pile of old consoles, monitors and old "stuff" that NASA no longer used.

I suggested a garage sale.:D

AK:
Currently NO, If your lucky you may still be able to find a MPC 1:200 scale Man in Space plastic model kit that contains 5 models Mercury Redstone, Mrecury Atlas, Gemini Titan, Saturn-1b and Saturn-V. All of which can be converted, I've done it:) and a 1:200 Lindburg Shuttle stack to round out the collection.

If your looking to go back further, including the Bell X-1 and X-15 as well as some of the other early leadins to manned space flight, Do what Narhams did, For AIAA, get a bunch of Scale modelers together (we had 7 modelers on the team). Pic a Scale (Be very sure your smallest will fit a micro motor at least...our Nike-Apache at 1/70th was a tad to small to fly:( Than Scratch build the fleet. You might need to throw in a couple Plastic model conversions to make things a bit easier but it works:D PS at 1/70th I physically couldn't build Goddard 1926 rocket, it was just to small to stand on its own:( so it ended up as a scale drawing and Photo, but the 14 model spread is still very inspiring, and the all flew with the excepting of Goddards 1926, the Nike-Apache and the 1/70th Shuttle stack.
This might be a little better photo of the 14 model group stacked two deep on a single table, Sorry the display spans a bit over 12 feet so it's really hard to get a decent photo of the whole thing:(

I’d suggest “fudging” between 1/70 and 1/72 scale. The difference between 1/70 and 1/72 is not so much that it would make that much of a visual difference in conveying the relative sizes.

There’s a lot more plastic model options out there at 1/72 scale than there are for flying model rockets at 1/70. Or an enterprising rocketeer can more easily adapt Plastic Model parts and fly rocket parts to make a reasonable flying model in most cases. Such as a 1/72 Gemini capsule, or 1/72 Mercury capsule for Mercury Redstone and Mercury-Atlas models.

Check out Realspace models’ web page with 1/72 kits:

https://www.realspacemodels.com/html/catalog1.htm

They do not seem to list the Mercury and Gemini capsules by themselves, but maybe for a project like this they’d be willing to work out a deal for selling two Mercury capsules and one Gemini capsule. Or maybe buy the MGA three capsule threesome, using the Apollo for something else (or selling to someone else who just would want the Apollo), and buying the Mercury Atlas to use the Atlas side pod parts (and decals) in addition to the capsule. Actually at that scale I’d sort of question even flying the Mercury and Gemini models for public demonstration flights, so it might be best to get the full plastic model kits and build them for display only.

BTW - There is a 1/200 AMT Man in Space kit on sale on eBay, at $25 as I type this.
Item number: 6060373761

It has all of the Mercury-Apollo manned rockets. Also BTW Tango Papa made a decal set for that AMT Man In Space kit, hopefully they still make it (probably so since he can print on demand from his original computer files). Those were better decals than the AMT kit had plus some of the roll patterns as decals rather than tedious painting.

There also is a Hasegawa 1/200 full stack shuttle plastic model, so if a 1/200 static plastic model display was acceptable, you could get the AMT kit and a shuttle kit.

- George Gassaway

As George mentioned, the Tango Papa decals for the 1/200 Man in Space set are fantastic. You can get the decals and roll patterns in other scales, too, which helps with the 1/100 Estes Saturn V and 1B if you are cloning it ;)

Don't forget the Soviet launch vehicles. Here's a shot of my 1/144 display. The Dullcote on the Saturns has yellowed a bit and they need a good cleaning, but left to right:
RealSpace Models Merc. Redstone, Atlas, and Gemini Titan. 3 Apex kits: Vostok (wrong colors, I know), Vostok with RhoModels Voskhod II conversion (now available from RealSpace), and Apex with RealSpace Soyuz conversion. Airfix Sat 1B and Monogram Sat. V, both with RealSpace LM shroud and CM/SM conversions. I never got around to adding a shuttle.

Drew Tomko

Back