PopSci and other rocketry images

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
In this thread there was a discussion of the usage of sugar motors in model rockets (in particular, the usage of Oreo's or Snickers as a possible fuel, based upon caloric content plus an oxidizer).

But there were a few other rocketry-related references in the magazine. I found these two interesting:

On the closing "flashback" article (aka "The Future Then") they referenced a rocket-powered train that was reported in the March 1948 issue to have broken the sound barrier, reaching a speed of 1,019 mph at sea level. A very remarkable accomplishment, to put it mildly, and something to dream about (something that the PopSci writers strive for, apparently both now and back in 1948).

You may have caught that, but did you catch the rocket-riding, Stetson-hat-waving "smart-phone virus" on page 78 in the title image for the "Can Viruses Attack my Cell Phone" article? Dr. Strangelove anyone???

Did I miss any others?
Have I gone completely N-V-T-S, NUTS? (See
History of the World Part I quotes)

Do I really need to get a life?

W (okay, so don't answer that last one) W

Is it me, or have Oreo's really gone downhill in the flavor/texture department since they changed oils or fats or whatever. I'll pay $12.49 a bag for pre-2003 cookies.:)

Originally posted by by basher
I'll pay $12.49 a bag for pre-2003 cookies.
I have to wonder, if the cookies are still edible three (or more) years later, what kind of chemical preservatives are loaded into them.
I think I'll pass on putting that junk into my body.

Go to Norway. If you are lucky enough to find Oreos at all they will be the "pre-2003" kind, or something. They are definitely different than ones here. They also have deep fried apple pies at McDonalds.

Back in the early 90's, my high school chemistry teacher had an ongoing experiment in her classroom on the shelf-life of a Twinkie. She had built a shelf way up out of the way in a corner of the classroom, and once a month, a student would climb up there with a ladder and inspect the Twinkie for any signs of deterioration or breakdown. (A recently-purchased Twinkie was always provided to the student as a "control group" for reference.)

After 6 years, there was no change yet to be seen.

WW

Originally posted by by basher
Is it me, or have Oreo's really gone downhill in the flavor/texture department since they changed oils or fats or whatever. I'll pay $12.49 a bag for pre-2003 cookies.:)

It's the oil / fat in the filling. The "old" stuff is highly bad for you (i.e., high in trans fats), and they've been trying to use not-as-bad fats while still keeping the taste and texture. It took them many years before they could even get to where they are now.

Originally posted by wwattles
Back in the early 90's, my high school chemistry teacher had an ongoing experiment in her classroom on the shelf-life of a Twinkie. She had built a shelf way up out of the way in a corner of the classroom, and once a month, a student would climb up there with a ladder and inspect the Twinkie for any signs of deterioration or breakdown. (A recently-purchased Twinkie was always provided to the student as a "control group" for reference.)

After 6 years, there was no change yet to be seen.

You've discovered Hostess' secret, which we "discovered" (i.e., made up) in college.

All Hostess snacks were created in a three-week period in 1952. They've been stored in massive underground bunkers in New Mexico ever since, and shipped out as demand warrants.

How do they last so long? It's the secret ingredient, HoHonium (atomic symbol: HoHo). Thanks to HoHonium, Twinkies don't have a shelf life...they have a half-life. ;)

I had a teacher do a similar experiment. We all brought in soem garbage form home. We made a layered jar with all this stuff. And on top, a nicely chewed stick of gum.

After teh five eyars we were in school, the paper & organics broke down. Plastics remained, but brittle. Metal rusted.

The gum was still bright pink.. Rock hard, but a pretty pink..

Never cared for Oreos. Fudgee-oos neither.

Originally posted by kenobi65

How do they last so long? It's the secret ingredient, HoHonium (atomic symbol: HoHo). Thanks to HoHonium, Twinkies don't have a shelf life...they have a half-life. ;)

Back in 1976 my high school chemistry teacher always said Twinkies filling had a half life longer than plutonium; that's why he was so addicted to them. Guess he was on to something! :D

Back