Fly-Away Launch Lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tquigg

Reaction score
Hi All:

Many years ago, I believe it was Bob Fortune on the old Aerocon site that described a competition design for "Fly-Away Launch Lugs". There was a diagram, and it seems to me in involved a "Y" shaped wrap made from material similar to a place mat for the dinner table, and three lugs that when wrapped around the rocket, lined up for placement over the launch lug. When the rocket was launched, and the lugs cleared the rod, the wrap would spring open and fall way from the rocket to be used again.

Does anyone here remember this device, and if so, is the plan/diagram still on the Internet somewhere? I've searched for it via Google, but can't seem to get a hit on it anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

I've made and used them before. First saw it in High Power Rocketry mag.

Use something like phone book cover paper to make the "Y" about 1.5-2" wide leaving a tail on the Y long enough to wrap around to fit between the upper two legs of the Y and thread 3 launch lugs cut to length on a rod then glue to the Y wrapped around the tube. Keep things fairly tight and aligned as the glue drys.

To launch I try to bring the rod used to set the lugs but if its common size there should be no problem, there's enough slop inherent with the fit that there's some give and take.

Hope this helps.

I've made and used them before. First saw it in High Power Rocketry mag.

Use something like phone book cover paper to make the "Y" about 1.5-2" wide leaving a tail on the Y long enough to wrap around to fit between the upper two legs of the Y and thread 3 launch lugs cut to length on a rod then glue to the Y wrapped around the tube. Keep things fairly tight and aligned as the glue drys.

To launch I try to bring the rod used to set the lugs but if its common size there should be no problem, there's enough slop inherent with the fit that there's some give and take.

Hope this helps.

This is the design I was looking for! I was trying to find the diagram for it on the Internet for a fellow rocketeer, but so far, no luck. If anyone knows where it might be buried, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Back