Footie Songs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
So the Football (Soccer to some of our former colonies) World Cup is about to start in Germany. As the various country's finest prepare for combat in the last European country to see real fighting, the usual batch of football-based songs have been released. I say usual, but this time round, the quality has risen by quite a degree. I'm not really a football fan, but being an aging punk rocker, I love the Roll-out-the-barrel/singalongaterrices type songs which tend to see the light of day around these times.

This time round we've got Emrace's rather bland offering as the official song. This disapointing record seems to have galvanised people into looking for a new 'people's anthem'. And what a few corkers have turned up!

I've yet to hear 'Who do you think you are kidding Jurgan Klinsman', but it shows promiss, especially as Mr 'Ruddy Hooligans!' Hodges in on it.

For comedy theres Al Murray, the Pub Landlord's 'Football was our idea'. Available only from itunes, but well worth the 79p - and the Guv gets to see more money from d'loads only, rather than having to organise pressing/distrobution/etc of a 'real' single.

Today I heard a cracking offering from Peter & the Test Tube Babies, featuring Olga from the Toy Dolls and Campi from Die Touten Housen (yep, I know, a German on a England footie song - rather 'unorthadox' ;) ) called 'Smiling through the tears'. The vid can be found here. This is a cracking Tommy Gun era Clash-esqe punk classic which needs more exposure, as its got 'footie-hit' written all over it. Ok the lead singer looks and sounds like he should be driving a white van around Essex, and the song starts with the theme from The Great Escape and a line about winning in Germany last time, but its worth listening to.

The best of the bunch by far (IMHO) is Sham 69's 'Hurry Up England'. I used to love 'Hurry Up Harry' as a kid, and to hear it updated, and sounding better than ever is cool. :D

So, anybody else heard any good footie songs this time round?

Holly crap.. a blast from my 'punk' past!

i was soo into the 80's punk scene, especially the British movement!

I have some Peter & Toy Dolls in my collection!

And Sham 69 always get airplay at home!

Now, what about X-ray Spex?

Or, GBH's "Big women"?

Sorry to hijack the thread from football to music in general. But rarely do i find someone who can mentioned Peter, Toy Dolls & Sham all in one sitting!!!

I think this has already been taken care of....

Footy

Make sure your speakers are turned on, but not too loud.

:D

Originally posted by cydermaster

I've yet to hear 'Who do you think you are kidding Jurgan Klinsman', but it shows promiss, especially as Mr 'Ruddy Hooligans!' Hodges in on it.

It would be better if sung by Billy Childish, or possibly Buster Bloodvessel.

Originally posted by TWRackers

Footy

I love this and it will be played at full blast every time england score:D :D

Originally posted by TWRackers

Footy

OMG!!

I've just wasted 10mins of my life waiting for that song to end, whilst being a tape-monkey doing the weekly backup of the work computers, before realising that the thing is on a loop!

Nice one for posting it, TW. I'm gonna annoy some of my friends with this URL ;)

Oh, and don't worry about thread drift, Dr Wogz, footie and OI! punk are Siamese twins - joined at the Dr Martin boot. So all discussion of punk is well within the remit of the thread's title. ;)

If you like the Toy Dolls, you may be glad to here that they are still going and still as funny and creative as ever; infact their last album (Our Last Album) ranks nearly as high as their 1st (pre-Nellie-being-a-hit) 2 albums (Dig that Groove Baby, and A Far Out Disc). They're touring Scandinavia atm and the current lineup contains the ex-Snuff Drummer/Frontman Duncan on drums.

Originally posted by cydermaster
....... about to start in Germany. As the various country's finest prepare for combat in the last European country to see real fighting,........

I suspect that the residents of the former eastern block / balkan states / serbs / croats may beg to differ on the "real fighting". (Arguments about what constitutes "europe" notwithstanding)

Mike 8-{>

Hey, did sheep & dirt make it to the World Cup this year? Or did they get beat out by Guinness & Fighting?

That's the way to spoof the Badger Dance!

FWIW, I also liked the Business' "Southgate's Goin' Home" for a football song.

Originally posted by TheRadiator
FWIW, I also liked the Business' "Southgate's Goin' Home" for a football song.
I've 'obtained' The Business' Hardcore Hooligans album, Which Southgate '96 comes from, and its one hell of a good footie CD. Unfortunatly I'd get banned imediatley for quoting my fave lyrics from this album, but its a corker ... rhyming "Final score" with "Falklands War", in the track Handball, is genius. ;)

You really you've been listning to the Football Badgers song when the picture/sound start getting out of sync :D.

Back