May 13th, CMASS Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Tewksbury, MA (https://www.cmass.org/schedule/)

Weather is getting better, great time to have a family outing flyin rockets!

Small Stuff only - Small Field Flying

Unfortunatly I won't be able to make it, but posting CMASS launches on TRF is something I like to do :)

Yep, FlisKits will be there!

Question, is it at the same Tewksbury field as last year? I thought I had heard that the launch was moving to a different field, but am not sure if this was in reference to Tewksbury or not...

We will have a full store of product including our MMX kits and we will also be flying some of our upcoming products such as the Thnig-a-ma-Jig and the Adfecta.

jim

I'm not going to be able to make it to the May 13th launch.

Because of a year long project that I worked on, I am being "FORCED" to attend the Red Sox game at Fenway Park on that day and sit in the luxury box right next to the owners box.

They are "making me go" so that there will be enough people to consume all the free food and drink being provided. I know it won't compare to having a CMASS hot dog, but someone has to make these sacrifices.

Hope to see you all at the June launch.

The plan is to be there! The weather could be a problem!:( Lets hope the weather forcasters are WRONG. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jflis
Yep, FlisKits will be there!

Question, is it at the same Tewksbury field as last year? I thought I had heard that the launch was moving to a different field, but am not sure if this was in reference to Tewksbury or not...

It's the Acton field that's changed. It was before my time but I'm told that it's near the field CMASS got chased out of 15 or so years ago.

jim

Originally posted by BobH48
I'm not going to be able to make it to the May 13th launch.

Because of a year long project that I worked on, I am being "FORCED" to attend the Red Sox game at Fenway Park on that day and sit in the luxury box right next to the owners box.

They are "making me go" so that there will be enough people to consume all the free food and drink being provided. I know it won't compare to having a CMASS hot dog, but someone has to make these sacrifices.

Hope to see you all at the June launch.

ok, BOB........ :rolleyes:

:D

I expect to watch that game and see you holding a sign that reads "I'd rather be flying rockets with CMASS!"

:D

Well, it certainly isn't looking good for this weekend :(

If we're rained out (most probable) I will be spending the day kitting inventory and doing web site updates... :( again... LOL

Well, it certainly isn't looking good for this weekend :(

If we're rained out (most probable) I will be spending the day kitting inventory and doing web site updates... :( again... LOL

We need to find an indoor location so we can fly MicroMaxx when it rains!

Originally posted by billspad

does anyone have a cathedral celing? :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by billspad

I've been telling the folks at CMASS that we need to build a dome over one of our fields for years now... :p

Actually, you bring up a good point. I am looking into revitalizing and resubmiting a set of rules for an "Indoor Safety Code". This has been tried in the past and failed, but I now have a lot of clear answers as to why (and some yet to be answered) and beleive that it *can* be done.

THEN look out :) Scheduled launches that CAN'T be rained out! What a concept :)

The CMASS launch scheduled for May 13 in Tewksbury has been cancelled due to rain. The next scheduled event is Equipment Maintenance Day on May 20 at Bill's house in Saugus. The next scheduled launch is on June 3 in Tewksbury.

Bob Krech
CMASS Senior Advisor

I've been telling the folks at CMASS that we need to build a dome over one of our fields for years now... :p

Actually, you bring up a good point. I am looking into revitalizing and resubmiting a set of rules for an "Indoor Safety Code". This has been tried in the past and failed, but I now have a lot of clear answers as to why (and some yet to be answered) and beleive that it *can* be done.

THEN look out :) Scheduled launches that CAN'T be rained out! What a concept :)

The story I heard was that the no indoor launches part of the safety code was put in there at the request of Estes. Evidently it happened more than you'd think.

I think the big issue would be the smoke. Building a MicroMaxx rocket that won't hit the ceiling in a place like a school gym wouldn't be a problem but the smoke from a few flights might be. I wouldn't want to be the one trying to sell the idea to the building's owner!

Well, the "building owner" is a separate problem. And it's moot unless there is a safety code to allow it anyway.

Such a code was proposed several years ago (1999?) but failed for a variety of reasons, one was toxic fumes. However, it seems to have been a fairly lame set of reasons to shoot it down. A big part of the problem is that there was little back-up data. For example, "fumes". No one had hard data as to how much (cubic feet or parts per million, etc) there was, how toxic (if at all) it was, based against what kinds of air handlers, etc, etc, etc...

I beleive that with hard data it would be possible to secure such a code. Then the work begins on how to present it in such a way as to assure no damage to the facility, etc, etc, etc.

It's a lot of work but I beleive that in the end it could result in a whole new form of this hobby.

They hold those "Monster Truck / Tractor Pull / Mud Bog Racing" events indoors.

I would think that just starting one of them up is putting out more "fumes" than hundreds of Micro Maxx motors.

Plus, they keep those running for an extended period and ours are lit for a little more than a second (including delay).

The only difference is that they can *see* our exhaust.

oh I agree and that's a main point. However the point doesn't carry much weight without real "data" and that is what I need to collect.

Aww, rained out! That's too bad, I was looking forward to it.

At least I'll be able to finish my Arapahoe E and build my Cheetah.

Well, the "building owner" is a separate problem. And it's moot unless there is a safety code to allow it anyway.

Such a code was proposed several years ago (1999?) but failed for a variety of reasons, one was toxic fumes. However, it seems to have been a fairly lame set of reasons to shoot it down. A big part of the problem is that there was little back-up data. For example, "fumes". No one had hard data as to how much (cubic feet or parts per million, etc) there was, how toxic (if at all) it was, based against what kinds of air handlers, etc, etc, etc...

I beleive that with hard data it would be possible to secure such a code. Then the work begins on how to present it in such a way as to assure no damage to the facility, etc, etc, etc.

It's a lot of work but I beleive that in the end it could result in a whole new form of this hobby.

Have you looked at NFPA 1126? It's the standard that covers using pyrotechnics indoors and it might have something useful in it.

we swam out to the truck for a trip to wallys world earlier. rockets would not be a good idea. unleeeeeessssss the uffo or decafanater:kill:

Originally posted by rocketdad0934
we swam out to the truck for a trip to wallys world earlier. rockets would not be a good idea. unleeeeeessssss the uffo or decafanater:kill:

At the rate the rain's been coming down the cups on the UFFO would be full before it hit the ground!

Back