Help choosing level 1 and level 2 38mm motor HW

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaEx

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma. This hobby, price comparison doesn't help,lol. At this moment I'm stuck between a rock and hard place because I'm fighting myself on what HW to buy. I'm a HUGE loki fan, but the prices over there have went up considerably since he first started his company a few years ago and I bought his Hw then. But I'm looking at the Cesaroni Hw and the Kosdon motors. I've been away fro a few years so your help would be great in decided on a good all around H and J case that can be used for my level flights then used for EX. I've tested motors before with Cesaronis and their reload kits are fairly priced which I like. So I'm open to discussion and opinions but I'm sorta on a budget.

I have both Aerotech and Cesaroni 38mm motor HW. Lately, I've really been digging on Cesaroni. Skidmarks are fun, and a good selection of performance profiles combined with easy assembly and cleanup. A long tube with a set of motor adapters should get you H-J reload compatibility.

If you prefer Aerotech, they also have the motor adapter setup now and can do a similar range.

At your local launches do you have a dealer? I like to have them available even though I can mail-order without much hassle now that we have won the lawsuit. It's nice to have a local vendor so I can change my mind about what to fly based on weather conditions.

If you plan on EX, snap ring cases (AMW, Gorilla, or Loki) are the way to go. You can do EX with Aerotech hardware but there are a lot more inert parts. The inert parts for CTI hardware are not available and some fairly fancy machine work would be needed to make the forward bulkhead and nozzle carrier.

If you don't plan on EX, then flip a coin between Aerotech and CTI. There are folks who'll argue rabidly for either, but for the general flier both are excellent choices.

I, unfortunately, know next to nothing about EX work.

If you are not L1 certified but plan to be, then I would go with CTI/Pro38 without a second thought. You'll be nervous enough as it is preparing for your first high powered launch. Not having to prepare a motor or worry about it blowing up because of a mistake putting it together is priceless at a time like that. Plus, the adjustable delay is really nice, and no one else really offers that.

good advice guys. I really think loki might be the way to go, or at this point to get my certs out of the way just doing the CTI's. This won't be my first reload, I'ver certed before but have been out of the hobby for a few years. I sold all my Hw to Jimmy yawn a few years back. Now I sorta regret parting with the cases because they're selling for more $$ now then when i got them. I think it was when Loki had just went mainstream, i got the 120 and the 240 case for $70 for both :p those were the good ole days :D

If your going Pro38 you might consider the Pro29 3 grain case deal there selling for $49.95, And then adding a Pro38 3 grain case to it. And a couple of Pro38 grain spacers. For about $100 total you can do F thru H in 29 and G thru I in 38. That should keep you out of trouble for a while.:D

Add a couple of 6 grain cases (29 and 38) to that and you get to J class motors in 38mm.:cool:

A lot of propellent choices there. Skids are cool and White Thunder is pretty good too.

Al

If your going Pro38 you might consider the Pro29 3 grain case deal there selling for $49.95, And then adding a Pro38 3 grain case to it. And a couple of Pro38 grain spacers. For about $100 total you can do F thru H in 29 and G thru I in 38. That should keep you out of trouble for a while.:D

Add a couple of 6 grain cases (29 and 38) to that and you get to J class motors in 38mm.:cool:

A lot of propellent choices there. Skids are cool and White Thunder is pretty good too.

Al
I think thats the route I'm going to go. It shounds like a very good choice specially since they designed the spacers. I hate that I got out of the hobbie years ago, but SOOO happy with the innovations that have been brought to the table.

I just skimmed, but something I didn't see, or I missed...

Factor in availability. If you have a vendor who attends your launches, what line(s) does that vendor carry?

Buying from the local vendor not only supports the vendor (a good thing!), but also makes your life easier, as you do not have to go the mail order route.

-Kevin

Back