Flight data sheets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Does anyone have/use flight data sheets to record each rocket's flight? (ie: motor, weather conditions, flight observations, etc.)? I was about to create one of my own, but I am sure that someone else has already created a better one than one I could come up with!! Does anyone care to share?

The Estes FDS are superb for its simplicity and ease in reproducing. I used to record all of my early modroc launches
from 1969 - 1971 until I got heavily involved in NAR Sanctioned
competition. Now, if I could just find some of my stuff that's been
lost somewhere....

Phred:
I've kept a log of just about every MR flight I've flown over the years. I started on an Old form I got from one of the mags or manufacturers flyers Estes I think, but it became way to cumbersum for launches with lots of flights per launch day, so I developed my own Sheet to cover an entire days flying designed to allow the collection of data I deemed important. Depending on the type of data you want to collect it may be easier to start with some of the basic Ideas and stuff shared here to develop something more suited to your specific need... I haven't found a "one size fits all" for anything anywhere yet;) Heres my current launch day data log sheet.
Hope this helps a little.

Originally posted by thejohnchapman
Why not use this?

https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/flightlog/flightlog.cgi

You can then immediately compare your experiences with the norm.

The EMRR flight logs are excellent...just wish we had computers and the internet back in the old days. Even used a slide rule
(purchased from Estes) for doing some calculations, before the
electronic calculators became standard.

Originally posted by astronboy
Does anyone have/use flight data sheets to record each rocket's flight? (ie: motor, weather conditions, flight observations, etc.)? I was about to create one of my own, but I am sure that someone else has already created a better one than one I could come up with!! Does anyone care to share?

Here's the thread I had about motors which that was brought up.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=23337&highlight=flight+data+sheet

Here's a zip file (if it attaches) of the FDS I use.

William

Very good idea's...I now just use a plain piece of paper and write down all the particulars, but having a form is a good idea.

Back in 1967 when I started my rocket career, I just used a small Hearld Square Record Book ledger (I still have it, although its falling apart).

I just recently entered all of my records into an Excel Spreadsheet. But will soon to convert to a html or similar form once the kids are home from college - meaning that's their summer project.

I enjoy looking back at my entries and read my 12 year old writings....here is one:

"November 20, 1968, Little Joe II, overcast - about 40 Deg, Result: Poor. Engine C6-3, Church Launch Site, Flight #3. Altitude 200 Ft (guessimate). Remarks: On launch rocket rolled left then right in a Left Hand Loop. Ejection Charge went off as rocket impacted. Dad won't like this!, noticed before flight that one fin was loose, I used scotch tape, maybe bad idea. Rocket destroyed may be a couple of months before I can get another one."

In retrospect, I now perhaps now know that CG and CP were the reasons for the bad flight. The flight before I mentioned about wanting a higher flight, I took the nose weight (washer) that Estes had directed to be added with the screw eye.

Back