Transitions for boosters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ropes4u

Reaction score
Does anyone make hollow transitions for the booster to sustainer?

I can not find any so I assume I am stuck with paper and CA? I am horrible with the paper and CA method.. I guess that is a good reason to practice. .

Thanks again, John

Assuming that you mean you want the booster section to transition into a larger/smaller dia. sustainer section:
this is pure speculation, I have never tried this so take this thought with a grain of salt:
Could you use a stock estes' plastic transition, and cut both the top and bottom off then, coat the inside and outside with high heat spray paint? That's the only thing I can think of. I mean, it would be hollow, and you wouldn't have to do paper and CA, and coating w/ high heat spray paint should protect it. The sustainer might melt the top part as the sustainer motor ignites, that's the only problem I could forsee. have you thought about drilling out a balsa transition?

Drilling a balsa transition will probably be the best bet..

I was hoping for the easy answer :p

thank you, John

Originally posted by Ropes4u
Does anyone make hollow transitions for the booster to sustainer?

I can not find any so I assume I am stuck with paper and CA? I am horrible with the paper and CA method.. I guess that is a good reason to practice. .
Exactly. You get better over time. Also, try different things. For example, use card stock. Some printers will print directly on it. For my old HP950, I print on regular paper, then use that as a template on card stock.

Use epoxy for gluing things. Yellow glue grabs way too fast. And CA can, too. You need adhesive that will give you working time.

Don't worry too much about wrinkles in the card stock. That's what FNF is for.

HTH.

Doug

Back